Leap Frog registrations are now open

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Frog Placement Near Public Transport

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 11 12:57 am

rogerw3 wrote::cry: If only all the motorized cachers would take into account that some of us have to use public transport and if you leave your frogs more than a couple km from a station, it will be ignored. Some of us have a 3 hours train trip to get to Sydney so the time that can be spent looking for Frogs is limited as there is a 3 hours journey to get back home. I have only managed to find 10 (or is it 11?) in 3 days of hunting, but it is early days yet. :(
Point taken. And it's also a good idea -- simply following on from the spirit of 'the game' -- to hide froggies where they can be found relatively easily, and not far off the beaten track. This way amphibians keep moving along and racking up the kilometres.

I learned the hard way by dropping off a forlorn froggy in Eastern Creek, west of Blacktown but still far east of Penrith. (That hadn't actually been my intention, but the story is too long to tell here.) Anyhow, there it remains after three days.

So dropping off your Leap Frog relatively near public transport is a good idea for several reasons.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Frog Placement Near Public Transport

Post by Toriaz » 04 December 11 1:28 am

pjmpjm wrote:
rogerw3 wrote::cry: If only all the motorized cachers would take into account that some of us have to use public transport and if you leave your frogs more than a couple km from a station, it will be ignored. Some of us have a 3 hours train trip to get to Sydney so the time that can be spent looking for Frogs is limited as there is a 3 hours journey to get back home. I have only managed to find 10 (or is it 11?) in 3 days of hunting, but it is early days yet. :(
Point taken. And it's also a good idea -- simply following on from the spirit of 'the game' -- to hide froggies where they can be found relatively easily, and not far off the beaten track. This way amphibians keep moving along and racking up the kilometres.

I learned the hard way by dropping off a forlorn froggy in Eastern Creek, west of Blacktown but still far east of Penrith. (That hadn't actually been my intention, but the story is too long to tell here.) Anyhow, there it remains after three days.

So dropping off your Leap Frog relatively near public transport is a good idea for several reasons.
I'm hoping to get to that Eastern Creek one tomorrow, but only if I get time on the way to the event. So maybe it will finally move tomorrow for you.

Life has been a bit unpredicable in our household over the past week, so I've hesitated to go looking for any of the local frogs in case I don't get a chance to move them on soon. But things are looking a bit calmer now, so hopefully my frog quest can now start.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Re: Leap Frog registrations are now open

Post by petan » 04 December 11 8:03 am

fluffyfish wrote:I have been using geosphere for the iPhone quite successfully as well. Can get updated queries and click through to the cache page to leave a log.

Not as good as GA Cacher but imho the best caching app for iOS.
I too have been using Geosphere but on an iPod (no iPhone or Android here - yet!), then calling in to the nearest Maccas to leave a note on the cache page to say that I have found it. I usually write my found log when I get home since I prefer to write my gnome/froggy founds logs with a story.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 04 December 11 8:19 am

I'm downloading the frogs my query onto geosphere just before I look for a frog, I've set the frogs as highlighted so they catch my eye and log found at the GZ then as soon as I can I get them back out and log the new coords

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 04 December 11 9:45 am

rogerw3 wrote::cry:

If only all the motorized cachers would take into account that some of us have to use public transport and if you leave your frogs more than a couple km from a station, it will be ignored. Some of us have a 3 hours train trip to get to Sydney so the time that can be spent looking for Frogs is limited as there is a 3 hours journey to get back home.

I have only managed to find 10 (or is it 11?) in 3 days of hunting, but it is early days yet.

:(
This.

5 of 7 days I am without a car, with toddler in tow. Those 5 days I'm either on my bike w/ trailer, or on foot w/ pram. I'm limited to about 5km travel in total. I don't do public transport, they have horrible schedules and the drivers are often unfriendly or even hostile to pram users.

On the weekends, our schedule is filled with the errands not done during the week - hour + impromptu hike/travel for frogs will likely be out of the question - quick hides and finds are a blessing and most beloved! Hiding froggies in parks after a significant travel/hike/bike just make me sad. :(

Find count = zero. :(

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Lost & Forlorn Leap Frog in Eastern Creek

Post by pjmpjm » 04 December 11 10:58 am

Toriaz wrote: I'm hoping to get to that Eastern Creek one tomorrow, but only if I get time on the way to the event. So maybe it will finally move tomorrow for you. Life has been a bit unpredicable in our household over the past week, so I've hesitated to go looking for any of the local frogs in case I don't get a chance to move them on soon. But things are looking a bit calmer now, so hopefully my frog quest can now start.
Thanks, Toriaz. That would be great, if you could manage it. Spfrog is the only one of my Leap Frogs remaining unfound.

Wish I could get to East Hills today, meet everyone, and also log some frogs, but it's just not possible. Will be remaining up in the mountains.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 04 December 11 2:36 pm

I still havent found any.

Seriously, this is starting to irritate me slightly!!

(canberrans, can we please have some down south? we're running dry down here!)

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 04 December 11 4:32 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:I still havent found any.
Seriously, this is starting to irritate me slightly!!
(canberrans, can we please have some down south? we're running dry down here!)
I think you're going to have to drive up north Bronnie :shock:

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 04 December 11 7:46 pm

The only way I found some was by snatching some up at our Christmas event today!

No-one brings them over the West here in Adelaide but me!
(So I grab all I can and lure everyone over here with many many frogs!!) :-"

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 04 December 11 7:49 pm

There seems to have been a cane toad invasion of West Ryde going by all the logs I've received today!

Is there a spot in Melbourne airport we could use as a drop zone? I'll be passing through there tomorrow, I have some frogs but am being picked up from the airport and won't be travelling independently at all while there. Might get some time before my flight back to drop some though.

Unless I drop them in Templestowe where I'm staying - hope someone can drop some off there for me to take back.

Image Image Image

GGau

Post by GGau » 04 December 11 9:26 pm

Yurt, what time will you be passing through?

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 04 December 11 9:54 pm

Yurt wrote:There seems to have been a cane toad invasion of West Ryde going by all the logs I've received today!

Is there a spot in Melbourne airport we could use as a drop zone? I'll be passing through there tomorrow, I have some frogs but am being picked up from the airport and won't be travelling independently at all while there. Might get some time before my flight back to drop some though.

Unless I drop them in Templestowe where I'm staying - hope someone can drop some off there for me to take back.

Image Image Image
Templestowe, Templestowe!!

We rehid all 6 we had over the weekend but I could see if we can pick some up during the day tomorrow and drop them off for you to take back if u want. When are you flying back?

GJMMelb

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 04 December 11 10:00 pm

Yurt wrote:There seems to have been a cane toad invasion of West Ryde going by all the logs I've received today!
Yep, that's right Yurt, all good froggies come and say hello on their way here and there and everywhere :D Most of them don't stay very long though - often just an hour or so :mrgreen:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 11 11:03 pm

There are now 422 leapfrogs. Not all are on the leaderboard (not everyone has signed up at CachingGames), but seriously people. 422. I'm in awe.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 04 December 11 11:21 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There are now 422 leapfrogs. Not all are on the leaderboard (not everyone has signed up at CachingGames), but seriously people. 422. I'm in awe.
That's really interesting because I registered a new one at about 10.30am this morning and was number 398 - this frog race is slightly more addictive than the gnomes... Anyway, just checked the cachinggames ladder and according to it, there was 415. Thats 17 in almost 12 hours. Would be nice if there were more in SEQ but a trip from the Goldie to Sunshine Coast should nab a few for myself and Lismore based caching mates.