Log books/containers on moveables?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Log books/containers on moveables?

Post by fluffyfish » 27 August 11 6:50 pm

Just seeking some feedback on the issue. I put out a moveable today without a log sheet. I put a 4 letter code on the back so I can check if required.

Some advantages that I see :

1. No more crappy comments about the size of the container vs the size of the moveable
2. I'll never see the logsheet again to check
3. GCA ppl are pretty pro and seems remote that it will be abused (ie a fake find)
4. Easy to make (i.e. not alteration required). I put the GA code clearly on the "cache".

Disadvantages :

Is it a "cache" if it cannot hold anything including a teeny tiny nano log sheet?

We already have virtuals/locationless where log sheets are not required. Is it ok to extend to moveables?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Log books/containers on moveables?

Post by CraigRat » 27 August 11 7:08 pm

fluffyfish wrote:We already have virtuals/locationless where log sheets are not required. Is it ok to extend to moveables?
Do as you see fit. Technically there's no requirement here to have a log book in any cache.....
If you think it's the only thing you can do then do it..if anything it will be an interesting experiment.

murf
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by murf » 27 August 11 7:18 pm

Sounds like something somewhere between a swaggie and a "Codeword Cache (Beta)"... The idea of code words for logging caches has been kicking around for some time, I'm sure there's other older threads on them, but there is a post from C@W here that points out that GCA has the functionality to accommodate them, but it hasn't been released for general use: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 80#p174480

As to the question of "is it a cache"... well that depends on your perspective. I personally wouldn't have a problem logging a "codeword cache", but I'm also firmly in the "Geocaching should be whatever you want to make it" camp. GCA is home to many different types of caches under it's "free and open" banner, however there are also some purists out there who would say "If it's not a box I can open, at a fixed set of coordinates, and containing a log book - then it's not a Geocache". I fully respect that opinion as well; they are welcome to play the game their own way.

This all seems timely with the discussion of late regarding Munzees and then Groundspeak's "challenges"... All-in-all an interesting idea fluffyfish, I'll be keen to see what everyone else thinks, and if it prompts any movement on the "Codeword caches" front. :)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 September 11 6:11 am

I like the Codeword Cache Concept... if shoving a film pot up the clacka of a Gnome/Moveable which as you said is never going see again is not possible it is a good compromise as long as the object is clearly identified as a cache. However some people got pretty creative on trying to fit a container onto / into odd things last time ;)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 11 9:24 am

I have to say two things.

I am occasionally guilty of picking up a moving cache and forgetting to write my name down on the log sheet, so removing the log book would take that embarrassment away from me. If I'm moving a cache, you know I've found it (for reals) because it's now been moved somewhere else. A simple log as found and no move might be suspect.

An object with no log book is not a cache (IMHO). I will always try to squeeze a log book into / attached to anything I release.

I know I'm the one who created the "codeword" capability in the GCA code, and there were reasons for this. It may be an opportune time to turn it on for moveable caches ONLY, to see whether it works.

The description would need to be extremely clear that a code is required to log it. A cache can always be moved without a codeword, but can't be "found", so it doesn't stop the game, just annoys those who need to go back and find the code word.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 06 September 11 9:46 pm

I don't know whether you can or want to try the code word idea out on my cache but since I suggested this, I'm happy to see how it goes for the next few months.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga3331

I think it may simplify the cache race and open up the race to greater numbers. I guess I see it as an option with moveable caches and doesn't exclude having a log book.

ie. some of my gnomes it was a pain in the arse putting a micro bison tube on (and seemed a waste) and others seemed perfectly suited to sitting on a large sistema. Go figure?