Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Doing GCA caches

Post by blossom* » 05 September 11 8:24 pm

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: 66 to beat.
If you get 75 you get the record and a pathtag all in one day.
Make it so.
Matter is still being considered. Couple of questions; How does one confirm that the finds are actually within the 24hrs? I'd only tackle something like this for the fun of the challenge so cooking the books would be pointless but it's still nice to leave no doubt.
Is it acceptable to log a cache by leaving a card, with the appropriate information on it? I ask because I'm looking at a majority of traditional caches, with log-books. An extra minute or two carefully packing the logbook back into it's decrepit plastic bag could add a lot of time but if we rush it, we could damage someone's cache.
I'm still not sure whether the idea is a goer. Haven't had much time for detailed research but there are certainly sufficient caches within striking range. Average a bit over three per hour and it's theoretically possible. The big problem is the third question. How does one convince a sceptical spouse that this is a good use of a day?! Nutwood is a daddy daughter team and it's more than my life's worth to go it alone but it's a big day for a seven year old!!
Regardless of problems, it'd be fun to have a go, whether we succeed or not. It's also school holidays... :D
I would say that you must write your team name in the log book. An acceptible alternative is a personalised sticker that you stick in the log book. I would suggest the best proof of the 24 hour time would be to include the time in the logbook. I've seen some teams use a sticker with a little gap to fill in the time. But don't forget that you can also include trigs and locationless GCA caches in the 75 number and these don't require writing in a logbook, a photo is required for these. That should make a nice change for a 7 year old, especially if you choose some fun Locationless ones

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 11 8:47 pm

This seems pretty generally accepted.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cach ... s_in_a_day
For physical caches, The Team must sign the logbook, a stamp or sticker can be used;
No dropping a card in the cache. Open it, open the book, stamp / sticker / sign it.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 05 September 11 11:08 pm

caughtatwork wrote:This seems pretty generally accepted.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cach ... s_in_a_day
For physical caches, The Team must sign the logbook, a stamp or sticker can be used;
No dropping a card in the cache. Open it, open the book, stamp / sticker / sign it.
Ah-ha, thanks for that. I wasn't sure what was acceptable.
That link to "guidelines" is good value. No real problem with logbooks, just thought a card might be kinder on caches than a rushed scrawl.
Actually that's my unspoken concern with this whole idea. We've approached caching gently, a cache here, a cache there. All suitably savoured. All of a sudden a silly idea could result in us logging all the GCA caches in the immediate area.
Still the point of silly ideas is that they are silly and we can always re-visit to drop in a note!

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 06 September 11 12:19 am

caughtatwork wrote: No dropping a card in the cache. Open it, open the book, stamp / sticker / sign it.
Yeah, I'm getting mighty tired of cleaning up and disposing of other peoples 'calling cards' they are just junk and I don't agree with them being left in caches. Just sigh the darn book, how hard is it?

Sorry, rant over.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 September 11 9:11 am

MtnLioness wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: No dropping a card in the cache. Open it, open the book, stamp / sticker / sign it.
Yeah, I'm getting mighty tired of cleaning up and disposing of other peoples 'calling cards' they are just junk and I don't agree with them being left in caches. Just sigh the darn book, how hard is it?

Sorry, rant over.
+1

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 06 September 11 12:56 pm

Pesky! wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
MtnLioness wrote:

Sorry, rant over.
+1
+1
calling cards were a bit of fun , back in the good old days, but now they are just more stuff to remove when you find them.

At one stage the idea was that cards were being created or formatted more like a pathtag. soemthing like a football team collector card of old. With the intent you collected cards placed by other geocachers and left your own for others to collect. So you could brag that you had an Ideology series 1 card etc. However it degraded very quickly into the current junk mail that it is, sadly.
it is nice to see that other items have taken the place for collectors, like Pathtags . Now, how do we stop teams using calling cards?
Well, there you go. I've learnt something. I had no idea that cards had history. I can see how they could rapidly become a problem. Thirty signatures in a book, no problem. Thirty cards in a cache, Hmmm!
I was contemplating the idea for a very specific purpose, that being a one off card for a one day caching blitz, but given the history, the idea has now been canned. I'll stick to the traditional pencil. Can't see any real point in stickers. Stamp might be OK, possibly kinder on damp paper, (not sure about that?) but really I have to agree with MtnLioness.
I'm thinking a more positive move might be to carry a packet of snap lock bags and simply replace any decrepit bags rather than waste time trying to ensure they are nicely sealed up.
As it is the other half of Nutwood appears to have been stricken with tonsillitis which might wipe out any attempt these holidays, so problems of damp might well be academic by the time we get to have a go. :(

belken

Post by belken » 06 September 11 10:43 pm

We used to leave laminated cards in some caches we enjoyed. We have also used stickers for nearly all our time caching. We changed our calling card sometimes leaving our coin and sometimes a handmade item. We still have some laminated cards.

When we had our coins made it was the days you had to buy 500 tracking numbers. The extra 250 numbers that we didn't use on coins we were inscribing into a piece of Jarrah that used to be the skirting board in our house. On the other side was our little sunset roo.

I think we may just take note of those that just like a signature in the log book and comply with your wishes.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 18 September 11 12:07 am

belken wrote:We used to leave laminated cards in some caches we enjoyed. We have also used stickers for nearly all our time caching. We changed our calling card sometimes leaving our coin and sometimes a handmade item. We still have some laminated cards.

When we had our coins made it was the days you had to buy 500 tracking numbers. The extra 250 numbers that we didn't use on coins we were inscribing into a piece of Jarrah that used to be the skirting board in our house. On the other side was our little sunset roo.

I think we may just take note of those that just like a signature in the log book and comply with your wishes.
I didn't mean to offend

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 September 11 10:12 am

Mrs R and i did only 44 traditional caches the other day, we managed to open and log every cache :shock:
i for one am against stickers for many reason's, what's the matter with writing ?
just my 20 cents

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 18 September 11 10:17 am

Pesky! wrote: +1
calling cards were a bit of fun , back in the good old days, but now they are just more stuff to remove when you find them.
those where also the times we print then laminated each cache sheet, and had a different coloured stick on dot for found and unfound, just for quick reference :-"