State borders on the plots

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

State borders on the plots

Post by Bewilderbeest » 21 June 11 3:01 pm

A small request, that probably only makes a diff to ACT cachers, and perhaps those near the NSW/Vic and NSW/Qld borders. Purely cosmetic so dont expend too much effort to make it happen, but...would it be possible to display state borders on the plots please?

caughtatwork

Re: State borders on the plots

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 11 3:09 pm

What plot?

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 21 June 11 3:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:What plot?
The lost one.

[Sorry (kinda). Shutting up now.]

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 8:48 am

These ones: http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Bewilde ... _finds/au/. The ones I mainly look at are my finds, at Australia and State level. I dont know how well borders would show on the Australia plot, but they should be okay on the state ones?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 11 8:59 am

Oh, those plots :-)

We use a standard image and then select (based on state), the bounding box for the area to plot. Depending on the state, the image is either zoomed in or out to fit to a standard size.
This is the base image that gets manipulated.
http://geocaching.com.au/resources/map_australia.jpg

To put a borders on the map, I would need to draw them on the base map. That's not impossible, but may be beyond my drawing skills :D

If anyone else has that level of skill, please have a go and let me know where I can get the file. Community effort helps caughtatwork not go insane :-)

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 10:00 am

caughtatwork wrote:Oh, those plots :-)

To put a borders on the map, I would need to draw them on the base map. That's not impossible, but may be beyond my drawing skills :D

If anyone else has that level of skill, please have a go and let me know where I can get the file. Community effort helps caughtatwork not go insane :-)
If I can get you a KML file of the borders, would that help?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 11 10:08 am

Nope. It's a standard JPG impage being manipulated, so there are no overlay capabilities.

Axtually I could like those KML files for other reasons, but I'm not sure they would help me here.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 10:15 am

:oops: I assumed KML would be available :oops: It probably is, but not as easily as I first thought. I can easily get ESRI shapefile or Mapinfo interchange formats. One of those do?

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 10:17 am

caughtatwork wrote:Nope. It's a standard JPG impage being manipulated, so there are no overlay capabilities.
So how do the little green dots get on there? Could the same method be used to put lines on?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 11 10:20 am

Bewilderbeest wrote::oops: I assumed KML would be available :oops: It probably is, but not as easily as I first thought. I can easily get ESRI shapefile or Mapinfo interchange formats. One of those do?
ESRI shapefile would be good. I can always use that data for lots of nefarious purposes (including GCA zones).

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 10:25 am

The state files are at the bottom of this page. Not sure if any of the others (eg Cap Cities, meshblocks) might be of interest. The ESRI files are 20Mb zipped. Go wild! \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 11 10:28 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Nope. It's a standard JPG impage being manipulated, so there are no overlay capabilities.
So how do the little green dots get on there? Could the same method be used to put lines on?
The map is a cutout of the world map. As it stands it's about 1MB compressed and about 50MB uncompressed. The world map is too large to manipulate in memory.

As it's a scaled map the little green dots are plotted on the map according to an offset from the edges based on the cache lat / lon.

To include the thousands of points for a state boundary would take the plotter way too long to plot. I might have a look at the shapefiles you suggest and see if I can write a program to plot them up on the map and use the new map image with the boundaries drawn on them.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 22 June 11 10:37 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Bewilderbeest wrote: So how do the little green dots get on there? Could the same method be used to put lines on?
The map is a cutout of the world map. As it stands it's about 1MB compressed and about 50MB uncompressed. The world map is too large to manipulate in memory.

As it's a scaled map the little green dots are plotted on the map according to an offset from the edges based on the cache lat / lon.

To include the thousands of points for a state boundary would take the plotter way too long to plot.
I thought you might say that.
caughtatwork wrote:I might have a look at the shapefiles you suggest and see if I can write a program to plot them up on the map and use the new map image with the boundaries drawn on them.
I doubt its worth going to that much trouble, Im sure you have higher priority things on your to do list, but thanks for looking into it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 11 10:38 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:The state files are at the bottom of this page. Not sure if any of the others (eg Cap Cities, meshblocks) might be of interest. The ESRI files are 20Mb zipped. Go wild! \:D/
CapCities are useless as I already have a better set of data for the local council areas for the country.
Mesh blocks are for ABS purposes and don't relate to what we would use in the real world.
I'll check out the state data and see what's in there tonight.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 22 June 11 12:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Oh, those plots :-)

I've been trying just now and the map image is not high enough resolution to be adequately accurate. An overlay or whatnot may be the best option. Freehand/mouse isn't going to cut the mustard in the Captain's hands.