GCA website: a rose by any other name ...

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
kennythe1st

GCA website: a rose by any other name ...

Post by kennythe1st » 26 May 11 11:12 pm

I'm not bagging GC but .. well yes I am.

I just finished off a draft cache on GC or so I thought. Somewhere twixt Saving the listing and heading into Attributes, updating and Saving, Enabling, da dada da dada - all my carefully crafted final updates to the listing went missing. Now that was sort of OK when that happened to me on the first (and now only) cache I set up on GC but to have it happen again?

So I copied the listing data across to GCA, re-added my 'final' updates, tweaked and am ready to publish in less time than I took to simply update (unsuccessfully) the GC listing which I guess I'll have to go back and delete in case it somehow is in the hands of the ump.

13 caches on GCA with nary an issue. 1 + 1 on GC and both problematic.

So congrats elves, you earned yourselves another cache =D>

Kenny

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: GCA website: a rose by any other name ...

Post by Laighside Legends » 26 May 11 11:58 pm

Yep, when I finally get around to hiding another cache (can't believe I have only hidden 1 physical cache in the past year!) it will be a GCA cache :D The only ones I will put on gc.com are those hard puzzle/multis that you wish weren't unfound...

Which brings up the following question...
Is there an easy way to transfer a cache from gc.com to GCA without losing all the past logs? If there was I would move a few of mine over... :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 27 May 11 7:51 am

Laighside Legends wrote: Which brings up the following question...
Is there an easy way to transfer a cache from gc.com to GCA without losing all the past logs? If there was I would move a few of mine over... :D
We'd prefer you NOT to transfer listings. It gets confusing for all and also there's people who cache at GC and don't want any GCA logs in their stats as they 'only use the forums' and you'd be upsetting them

I'd advise to keep GC caches there, list new one here if you wish.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 27 May 11 8:11 am

In the end the laugh :lol: is on me. After my post below I went to delete my GC embryo cache listing. To locate it I did a search on GCA 'Bolwarrah' which is the location and is in the name. A swag of Bolwarrahs (mostly sans 'h') came up which didn't surprise me as there are a few such locations in OZ. But what did surprise me was GC 'Moorabool Weir' in the same Bolwarrah location as mine.

Yes, after getting the idea back in January, visiting a few times to identify a hide, gathering info and gradually building up the listing and then waiting 6 weeks for an opportunity to visit and place, I was beaten by a mere 5 days by Sully1 :stabby

So my cache wouldn't have been accepted anyway as they are about 100m apart. Oh well, at least I can score a GC cache when I pick mine up. Back to my list of potential cache locations.

Kenny

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 30 May 11 8:50 am

kennythe1st wrote:In the end the laugh :lol: is on me. After my post below I went to delete my GC embryo cache listing. To locate it I did a search on GCA 'Bolwarrah' which is the location and is in the name. A swag of Bolwarrahs (mostly sans 'h') came up which didn't surprise me as there are a few such locations in OZ. But what did surprise me was GC 'Moorabool Weir' in the same Bolwarrah location as mine.

Yes, after getting the idea back in January, visiting a few times to identify a hide, gathering info and gradually building up the listing and then waiting 6 weeks for an opportunity to visit and place, I was beaten by a mere 5 days by Sully1 :stabby

So my cache wouldn't have been accepted anyway as they are about 100m apart. Oh well, at least I can score a GC cache when I pick mine up. Back to my list of potential cache locations.

Kenny
Just list it on GCA anyway. :mrgreen: That's what I did

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 30 May 11 11:30 am

norkmeister wrote: Just list it on GCA anyway. :mrgreen: That's what I did
See what you mean. But it would have to be a puzzle cache like yours to make it meaningful otherwise it is two almost 'park and grabs' and I can't see the point of that. Thanks for the idea Norkmeister, I've got a few weeks to sleep on it.

Kenny