Bulk "ignoring" of Trig Points

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Wyoming Wombats

Bulk "ignoring" of Trig Points

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 22 March 11 8:35 pm

Hi all,
Any way of ignoring ALL trig point caches in one hit as opposed to doing it individually? [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

This has probably been asked before but as only a transient user of the forum I haven't seen any postings of the question. Went back through about 18 months of topics but got sick of looking.

Thanks in advance.

caughtatwork

Re: Bulk "ignoring" of Trig Points

Post by caughtatwork » 22 March 11 8:53 pm

Make a MyQuery.
In the Cache Type (To return caches of any type, leave all types unticked) select Exclude cache types and tick TrigPoints.
Tada :-)

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 22 March 11 9:15 pm

Thanks for that C@W but I should have elucidated. I mean for my hitlist under "My" "Cacher Page" "Details" "Hitlist". I understand what you've done but I tend to just look at the hitlist and pick and choose from there.

Yes, I'm being pedantic but......... It's what you get from having Dutch blood in you.

Thanks again. ESPECIALLY if (when) I'm doing something wrong. #-o

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 March 11 9:36 pm

I hear what you're saying. Most of the "default" lists (apart from ignoring caches on your ignore list) are not set up for inclusion / exclusion criteria. i.e. They show everything.

To have functionality to include / exclude items (whether they be cache types, size, terrain, difficulty, etc, etc) for each of the default lists is extremely database intensive. To circumvent having to do that everywhere we set up the MyQuery tool.

If I may be so bold, there are a couple of things that you can do to achieve your goal, which once done will be done forever.

Go make a my query.
Set the limit to 50 (or 100, but please not 10,000).
Exclude TrigPoints.
Exclude caches you have found.
Sort it by HOME.
Save it.
Run it to the screen to show that it works.
Now, once that's on your screen, hover over the Favourites tab and click Add to Favourites.
Give your favourite a name (say My Hitlist).

That's it.
Now when you want to view your modified hitslist, hover of Favourites and select the favourite you just made.
Fewer click in the long run as well as you no longer need to visit your cacher page then your hitlist.

I appreciate that it's a change from what you have been doing, but it gets the same job done and ensures that all include / exclude requirements are constrained to the MyQuery functionality.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 22 March 11 10:08 pm

Thanks for that. And THAT is why I can't think laterally. WW mumbles something about old dogs and new tricks. When I was a boy.......

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 22 March 11 10:20 pm

AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! Now if I can just work out what this world wide net of interwebs thing is I'll be right.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 March 11 10:27 pm

Apparently, it's a series of toobs :-)

Happy that you now have a solution and now that it's in the forum, maybe others will also benefit from your sage questioning of the process.

By the way, if you add a "radius" to your MyQuery (say you only want up to 50km from your home base), the results will be returned faster as it only grabs those which are in your radius to see if you've found them or not.