The New GCA Cache Icons Poll!

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Are you happy with the new GCA Cache Icons?!

Yep, looking good, keep them!
45%
I didnt even notice to tell you the truth...
5%
I prefer the simple old ones, please return them!
50%

Total votes: 76

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: The New GCA Cache Icons Poll!

Post by Zalgariath » 22 November 10 9:58 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Voting for the old ones. First, they're clearer. Second, some of the geocaches aren't in Australia (only a few, but it's more than none).

BTW - Your use of emoticons in the poll is known as push-polling.
Unintentional... and corrected ;)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 November 10 10:11 pm

So, Zag, have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 November 10 10:15 pm

caughtatwork wrote:So, Zag, have you stopped beating your wife yet?

:shock: :?: :-k Must be late... I dont follow ;) I DO have a blue singlet around here somewhere....havent worn it in a while hehe

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 November 10 10:21 pm

Push-polling and questions that regardless of how you answer, you're in trouble.
Sorry for the hijack, back to the icons and the poll.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 November 10 10:37 pm

The emoti's were intended as a reflection of the persons vote (ie happy with changes, or unhappy..) not an indication of how I think people should vote. Id never heard of poll pushing before but it makes sense now I think of it :oops: As stated, corrected :D I reckon in a few days just about everyone who wishes will have had a chance to be heard. At the moment there are some fair arguments against the Aussie Shaped Icons, but almost equal support for them (just fewer comments). Dont worry guys this is not a personal issue for me 8) Someone asked if it was possible to try a change, I obliged with some options, the community decides, that's how these things work \:D/

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 November 10 12:04 am

Zalgariath wrote: Someone asked if it was possible to try a change, I obliged with some options, the community decides, that's how these things work \:D/
For that alone I think you deserve a round of applause. This is a community site and everyone is welcome to help shape the site, even in its look and feel. Regardless of the outcome we appreciate the time and effort you have put in to this and the fact you have tried to find a solution.

hookline

Post by hookline » 23 November 10 12:07 am

I prefer the old ones too. As others have said, they are clearer and more consistent in design. But apart from that, the main reason I voted no was that I have found a fair few overseas caches, and it looks quite weird and rather silly having an Aussie icon beside non-Oz caches. :shock: This could potentially be confusing.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 23 November 10 8:51 am

The other problem with this poll is that two of the three options effectively add to the same answer... biasing the poll automatically towards one option.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 23 November 10 12:47 pm

Cached wrote:The other problem with this poll is that two of the three options effectively add to the same answer... biasing the poll automatically towards one option.
Re-worded to be more of an "abstain" option... and people have the ability to alter their vote if they have been swung by the discussion / thought the options were unclear :D

At this stage it looks like the majority of people are happy with the simplicity and clarity of the old icons compared to the idea of "Australia-ising" the outlines. If anyone feels they would like would like a change, but the artistic direction was wrong please feel free to jump in and comment. Otherwise I dare say C@W will revert the little guys back to their former personas in a few days time ;)

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 23 November 10 2:36 pm

I like the idea of new icons that are unique to Geocaching Australia.
:?: If the current new ones aren't used permanently, how about the old icons on a whacky, colourful, classy, plain, whatever, new pointer?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 23 November 10 3:53 pm

PesceVerde wrote:I like the idea of new icons that are unique to Geocaching Australia.
:?: If the current new ones aren't used permanently, how about the old icons on a whacky, colourful, classy, plain, whatever, new pointer?
Do you mean the Google Map Pointers? That is where this idea originally started. I think the primary criticism with the new icon is they are not as clear as the old ones. This stems from my lack of artisitc ability, but also from the fact they have to be only 16x16 pixels :-k

The Google Map pointers allow me a few more pixels but are perhaps destined to suffer from the same restrictions... so may not be worth it.... we'll see ;)

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 23 November 10 7:12 pm

Looks like I dropped into the discussion of this idea a little late. I'll just say that I like the new icon set. They're a neat visual cue that remind me I'm viewing the info. thanks to the GCA 'machine'.

A nice clear pointer (post edit: on Google Earth) underneath the icon, or as a background, would cap it off IMO. :)
Last edited by PesceVerde on 24 November 10 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gowza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Gowza » 24 November 10 10:45 am

I think they look really cool and good on you for having a crack!

Overseas listings have been mentioned a couple of times but given they are listed on Geocaching 'Australia' an Australia-esque icon doesn't strike me as being that confusing....

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 25 November 10 3:21 pm

Appreciate the idea. I can sympathise with the confused people but am able to cope with the idea that the icons represent the source of the listing data. Of course, this isn't actually the case :? and with the not-too-far-off future rapidly approaching, there may be more changes along these lines to differentiate origin of cache listings from multiple sites.

Think favicon in RSS feed reader to distinguish source of item. Open standards should allow interoperability between multiple data sources, aggregators, display apps and consumers. Hmm, is this perhaps a little further off?

Cheers.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

GCA New Cache Icons -- Vote Change!

Post by pjmpjm » 25 November 10 10:56 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
Cached wrote:The other problem with this poll is that two of the three options effectively add to the same answer... biasing the poll automatically towards one option.
Re-worded to be more of an "abstain" option... and people have the ability to alter their vote if they have been swung by the discussion / thought the options were unclear :D

At this stage it looks like the majority of people are happy with the simplicity and clarity of the old icons compared to the idea of "Australia-ising" the outlines. If anyone feels they would like would like a change, but the artistic direction was wrong please feel free to jump in and comment. Otherwise I dare say C@W will revert the little guys back to their former personas in a few days time ;)
Having thought this issue over a bit more, I'm actually happy with the new icons. So I'll change my vote!