Is it time? ( to allow cache owners to edit logs)

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Trigg-A-Nomics

Re: Is it time? ( to allow cache owners to edit logs)

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 20 September 10 5:38 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Hence the request for a new discussion.
Should we allow the owner to "edit" a log, removing anything deemed in appropriate or just a straight delete.
etc, etc.
You shouldn't be able to edit my log. What I write is probably not copyright but someone else changing my words seems wrong somehow. [-X

If you don't like what I've written either live with it or delete it. I'd favour a straight delete (with an automatic email to the log owner) option, or pesky's suggestion of a change to the log type. (e.g. Found to Noted)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 September 10 5:58 pm

An alternative would be , if functinaly possible, a way to "grey out" their find and not update the finders "find" count until a resolution is found. This would then not mess up their stats as to when and what they posted. And when a satisfactory response is gained, the log can be unlocked.
This is a good idea, basically You (the hider) and the finder can view the log but no-one else can. If it all gets satisfactorily resolved it could then be changed back in to whatever it's original log type was.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 20 September 10 6:25 pm

CraigRat wrote:
An alternative would be , if functinaly possible, a way to "grey out" their find and not update the finders "find" count until a resolution is found. This would then not mess up their stats as to when and what they posted. And when a satisfactory response is gained, the log can be unlocked.
This is a good idea, basically You (the hider) and the finder can view the log but no-one else can. If it all gets satisfactorily resolved it could then be changed back in to whatever it's original log type was.
Yes I like that too, but it needs to be accompanied by the power to wholesale delete the log as well as at the end of the day, the CO should have the final word if an agreement can not be reached. I dont believe anyone but the finder should be able to EDIT their log... WAY to many avenues for abuse.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 20 September 10 7:15 pm

I would agree with a 'delete' option for the cache owner but never an 'EDIT' of my log. By 'Edit' I mean the log type as well as the text. This is with a proviso that I got notified the deletion.

Now a couple of questions.

If a log is deleted is it archived, and not counted in any stats from that point, or would it be truely deleted.

And

Are you just referring GCA cache logs in this proposal.

belken

Post by belken » 20 September 10 9:04 pm

I am a little shocked I couldn't do it now. Not that I have had to as the people that go out of there way to find a GCA Traditional are good sorts.

But I do think there will be the inevitable spillage of crap from the other site as it self destructs in its own mire of garbage. I would like to think that we could leave the human garbage there as well.

As such I think a strong community and an accepted community standard be upheld and that utter tripe of "let them play their own game and bugger the cost" be the first thing we dump.

So if a log is outside a standard then let it be deleted.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 September 10 9:28 pm

'Deleted' is a very final step, how about we 'Archive' it in case we need to bring that post back from the dead?

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 20 September 10 9:34 pm

Pesky! wrote:... I'd like to think that if the log is deleted your find count is reduced aswell I think this is how GC have been functioning for a long time now. can the Faer ones confer?
Having had a log deleted twice now I on GC I can confirm that the total find count on GC is also reduced.

I also know that GC only archive a 'deleted' log as the first of the 'deleted' logs was restored for me after I complained. (The other I redid with better and less problimatic wording.)

Shifter Brains
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Shifter Brains » 21 September 10 2:09 am

Pesky! wrote:OK , so far concensus seems to be for the ability to delete the log and notify the finder.
that is all fine with me too.

if this is the function that is decided on, is there a way to allow the cache owner to include a short statement and reason for the deleted log?
I like the idea of the cache owner having the ability to delete a log, with notice to log owner.

Maybe with a note as to why the log is being deleted that is sent with the notice of deletion, which is required to delete the log. (I know some could abuse this and write jibberish.)

I have had a couple of logs on caches where requirements are not met and sent a pm politely requesting a change in the log, most are done without a problem, however there are a few who choose to ignore the request.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 September 10 8:49 am

A most excellent discussion and includes things that I would never have thought of. All hail the power of the community.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 21 September 10 10:26 am

Sorry I am coming into this discussion so late. I have had one experience with a CO deleting one of my logs. It was on a GC cache and the log was deleted and then the CO sent me an email. An email prior to the deletion would have saved me the time in having to re enter the log as I only needed to delete two words from >50 word log and the CO had mentioned this in their after the act email. I am in favour of email contact first then if no action or reply leave it up to the cache owner to make the deletion if the log really does need to be deleted. Not in favour of open ended edits. But in all cases the Co must send an email to the finder whose log is about to be deleted and state the reason quite clearly.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 21 September 10 1:20 pm

How about an option to "report or flag" like what we have in the forum?

You could have some options as to why it has been flagged,
  • Inapropriate Language
  • Too descriptive
  • Not signed
  • Anything else you can think of.
Then have a text box for some comments.

Once this is submitted the log is archived and the person logging the cache gets a note to say that it has been archived and a chance to see why.

I'm not sure if this would be easy to code but it would be very traceable!