Cache alerts: GCA only?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Albany Canucks

Cache alerts: GCA only?

Post by Albany Canucks » 03 September 10 10:28 pm

The settings for Cache Alerts: do these only send an email for GCA caches, or for geocaching.com caches as well? (I'd like both, but I'm suspecting that alerts for the latter can only be obtained by premium membership at the `other' place).

And "radius" is presumably from the "HOME" location as set on my Member Details page?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Cache alerts: GCA only?

Post by Zalgariath » 03 September 10 10:44 pm

Again, only for GCA Caches. New GC.com cache alerts require premium membership through Groundspeak.

Glad to see you really excited about GCA Canucks! A simple assumption to make for most of your queries here is that any information on NON-GCA caches here is highly limited (names, GC numbers, recent(ish) logs and some awesome stats only really). GCA provides a link to the GC.com pages but anthing to do with co-ords, GPX, or logging a GC.com cache has to be done through their website, and a number of the most useful features (pocket queries, alerts etc) are only available to paid members...

However the same services (and in most cases much better options!) for all GCA caches are all available here FREE!!!!! No GCA doesnt have as many caches (yet!) but the freedom and flexibilty you get cant be beaten for the price :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 September 10 10:48 pm

Zalgariath wrote:you get cant be beaten for the price :D
We can offer beatings on request. :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 September 10 10:48 pm

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cache_alerts

The wiki is a great place to research. If it's not accurate, you can log in (same user name and password) and you can make the entry clearer or more correct.

Albany Canucks

Post by Albany Canucks » 04 September 10 2:52 am

The features on GCA are outstanding. Honestly! Now only to increase the number of caches! Unfortunately only a dozen GCA caches are within 350km of where I live (Albany WA), and there's barely 100 altogether in the entire state of W.A. Given that GC caches show up on GCA searches anyway, what incentive is there for people to list here rather than on GC?

Thanks for all the help, I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far!

reesylou
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by reesylou » 04 September 10 9:57 am

Albany Canucks wrote: Given that GC caches show up on GCA searches anyway, what incentive is there for people to list here rather than on GC?
To help grow the community on the site
To (eventually) earn GCA specific pathtags for 100 found GCA caches
To support the crew that provide:
  • awesome site features like really flexible queries, raid maps, funky graphs and stats
  • fun and different cache types (locationless and movable for example) that are no longer (or never were) supported on GC
  • (and most importantly) quick responses to user problems and suggestions.
Um...sure I could think of more reasons if I really tried, but that is what comes to mind instantly

Albany Canucks

Post by Albany Canucks » 04 September 10 11:38 am

reesylou wrote:
  • awesome site features like really flexible queries, raid maps, funky graphs and stats
Amen to that! The features here are excellent!