Movables - possible code change request

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
steptoe
1650 or more caches found

Movables - possible code change request

Post by steptoe » 03 September 10 4:42 pm

Is it possible for the "Found" Log on a MOVABLE cache to flag the co-ords as deleted or similar.
I know, I SHOULD read the logs first, but have been caught out on a few where the cache still shows on the maps as in a spot, but it has been found and removed (eg. todays attempted cache was removed 3 weeks ago), but not yet placed elsewhere.
That may need choices of Found-taken, and Found-left-in-place on the log options.

just curious,
thanks
Steptoe

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Movables - possible code change request

Post by CraigRat » 03 September 10 4:56 pm

It's a good idea, however it causes a multitude of other problems with peoples gps's etc if we essentially 'blank' the co-ords apon a cache being found.

Let me think about about it for a bit, there might be something better we can do.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 September 10 5:28 pm

Be careful.
A cache that has been logged as "found left behind" doesn't mean someone else hasn't found it a few minutes before you rocked up.
You have to change your way of thinking about a moving cache.
They have a challenge that the cache may not always be where you think it is.
Sometimes the onus falls on to you rather than the site to tell you where the cache is or isn't.

steptoe

Post by steptoe » 03 September 10 5:42 pm

I realise that it could have "just gone etc"
It was more a matter of flaggin the more obvious ones if possible

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 September 10 6:23 pm

It's the "if possible" that you can't trust.
I'll be interested to see what ideas CR has without creating confusion in "what type of log" people should use.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 September 10 12:04 am

I think we would need a Taken/Grabbed/Retrieved type as a log entry, which would automagically flag it as Found for the stats, but also mark it as no longer at the coords.

The problem still exists that unless you check the cache listing immediately before going out it may have moved since your last download, and the person who has found it to move on may not get a chance to log that immediately. That's one reason if I know I am going for a movable I will log that as a note on the page so if someone goes out later they may know why they couldn't find it, before I get a chance to get home and log it. I will then delete the note once I do the found one.

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 04 September 10 2:18 pm

I only download caches to my GPS that I have not found - Once I have found a moveable, I would happily find it again if it moves back close enough to me but I have to be careful as they become excluded by my filter.

If found (by me) and then moved (by someone other than me) - mark as unfound (except for the stats)...... hummmm....

grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by grahamf72 » 07 September 10 9:10 pm

I like the idea of a "picked up" log.

Another thing with moveables (and it might be too hard), would be to calculate stats based on where it was when it was found, rather than where it is now. A while back I was scratching my head as to why I had a find in South Australia when I've never been there - then I realised, the moveable that I found was now in SA. When I found it though, it was only about 20km from home.