KMZ files link

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Trigg-A-Nomics

Re: KMZ files link

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 01 September 10 2:17 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The comment on whether the cache owner wouldn't like any kml files uploaded is an interesting one.
What is the sentiment on that?
If the cache owner wants to make you take a particular route then they should make it a multi. (I'm assuming this will only be enabled for traditionals!) :shock:

If the feature is added it should be open. There's no real difference between me describing the route I took in my log and me uploading the route.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 01 September 10 3:10 pm

... There's no real difference between me describing the route I took in my log and me uploading the route.
I disagree.
In reality, following a description encourages you to be more aware of your surroundings, and what features are behind and in front. IMO it's about risk and benefit. :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 September 10 10:05 am

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:The comment on whether the cache owner wouldn't like any kml files uploaded is an interesting one.
What is the sentiment on that?
If the cache owner wants to make you take a particular route then they should make it a multi. (I'm assuming this will only be enabled for traditionals!) :shock:

If the feature is added it should be open. There's no real difference between me describing the route I took in my log and me uploading the route.
Multi / mystery / anything I suppose vs traditional is a good question. I wonder how many people would simply not think and load up their tracklog showing exactly where GZ is?
This idea is not yet dead, so please continue to discuss.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 26 September 10 10:25 am

caughtatwork wrote:Multi / mystery / anything I suppose vs traditional is a good question. I wonder how many people would simply not think and load up their tracklog showing exactly where GZ is?
I think it has merits BUT needs the restriction as above. It would be great to see the tracks some have taken.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 September 10 11:33 am

Agree, but does that defeat half the purpose?
I mean what's the point of only having it available for traditional style caches?

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 26 September 10 9:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Agree, but does that defeat half the purpose?
I mean what's the point of only having it available for traditional style caches?
If you enable it for multis then I can just march past your 16 waypoints on the lovely trail you marked out. Or just drive straight to GZ.

If you enable it for mysteries then even if I can't work out which part of the trail is GZ I can narrow down the solution significantly and drop the difficulty rating by a couple of stars.

You could enable it on multi/mysteries only for people who have already found the cache, like the FTF and Recommend buttons.

As Richary said, I think the original suggestion was to help with caches that require "a serious bushwalk". If it is limited to traditionals then I think that still satisfies most of the original suggestion.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 September 10 9:11 pm

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.
There's a lot of background work involved here, so it would be a "half" solution in that it could only be used on traditional style caches. Granted there are loads of traditionals, but as pointed out we lose the benefit of the tracklog against multi and mystery caches. Of course they can't be enabled for those cache types, so it's quite a restricted set is my only point.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 26 September 10 9:27 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Sorry, didn't make myself clear.
There's a lot of background work involved here, so it would be a "half" solution in that it could only be used on traditional style caches. Granted there are loads of traditionals, but as pointed out we lose the benefit of the tracklog against multi and mystery caches. Of course they can't be enabled for those cache types, so it's quite a restricted set is my only point.
Agreed.

A "full" solution could be to not restrict the cache type but instead restrict the viewing of the tracks to those who have already found the cache. Mind you, you could still game the system by 'accidentally' submitting a found log, waiting for it to come through to GCA, downloading the tracks and changing your original log back to a 'Noted'. :evil:

Can anyone see a way of making this work?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 September 10 11:09 pm

Knowing what the backend looks like, nope :-(

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 27 September 10 3:39 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There's a lot of background work involved here, so it would be a "half" solution in that it could only be used on traditional style caches. Granted there are loads of traditionals, but as pointed out we lose the benefit of the tracklog against multi and mystery caches. Of course they can't be enabled for those cache types, so it's quite a restricted set is my only point.
What are the percentage of logs on GCA for Traditionals, Virtuals, Locationless, Trigs, etc Vs Puzzle and Multis?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 September 10 4:32 pm

http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/g ... ds_by_type
68% traditional and trigpoint.
Quite a decent chunk.

Mind you, that's a reflection of the hide ratios as well.
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/g ... es_by_type

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 27 September 10 6:09 pm

So by leaving out Multis and Puzzles we can upload to all other caches that only excludes 6.49% of logs. I'd say it would be potentially workwhile if people want it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 September 10 7:26 pm

You'd need to drop moveable too as they're not going to be there long enough to worry about.
However, having said that, it seems like a cool idea.
If we did use a KML file, how does one go about it?
Is there an easy to get the KML file into your GPS (or out of your GPS) for the track log?

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 27 September 10 7:43 pm

I have mainly used GPSies but there are others like GPS Visualizer

Quick and easy.

Here's one I prepared earlier.