Puzzle caches - solved but not found

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
reesylou
400 or more spectacular views seen

Puzzle caches - solved but not found

Post by reesylou » 25 July 10 6:36 pm

Just a rambling wish here, but I have noticed that wishes tend to get serious discussion around here (and many times become new features).

I (like many) have limitations on the times I can get out to cache due to family commitments, so I spend quite a bit of time solving Mystery/Puzzle caches so that when I plan a trip to an area it can be "complete". Now that I have a reasonable number of them "solved" but not yet "found", it would be ideal to be able to flag them as such.

A simplified option would be to add a "solved list" sort of list a planned or watch list... but I'm dreaming bigger than that :-k
My ideal option would be to be able to mark a puzzle cache as "solved" and have it show differently in listings, queries and on google maps. Perhaps a green instead of blue '?'

[-o<

Team Rubik

Re: Puzzle caches - solved but not found

Post by Team Rubik » 25 July 10 8:11 pm

Mark it solved in GSAK with 'User Notes'.

reesylou

Post by reesylou » 25 July 10 8:25 pm

Thanks Team Rubik, I didn't think of that. That will work when I am at home and on the main pc ... once I update my GSAK info (I haven't updated it as it is easier to view live at the many places I am). Unfortunately, it won't work when planning from work, or at other peoples houses, or in the field (coz I don't have a laptop).

I access the info from so many places that I was wanting an option accessible anywhere I can access the website. :)

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 26 July 10 12:59 pm

What we do, is when we have solved a cache, we put in corrected co-ords into GSAK, and then have a filter that does all unfound/available/puzzles solved, and then export that.

It requires having 2 filters, and then joining them using 3 lines in a macro, but it works great. We can then quickly see which puzzles we have solved, and are ready to find, and which ones we still have left to go.
The first filter does all available and unfound caches that aren't puzzles, and then the second filter just does available puzzles that we have solved but haven't found.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 26 July 10 1:24 pm

I do the same thing as setsujoku, i.e. put in the corrected coords into GSAK and use 2 filters.

I try to remember to put the solution to the puzzle into user notes (then if one part of the puzzle is changed for some reason by the owner I don't have to do the entire puzzle again) and also use user notes if I've only half or partially solved the puzzle. I used to change the corrected coordinates even if I'd only solved half which has lead to some confusion - especially if it's a puzzle in another state and I only look at them every year or two.

RebornCyclist
1850 or more caches found

Post by RebornCyclist » 26 July 10 3:02 pm

I use the same filters as the above two posters, and a macro (MyGME) to export to Google Maps.
MyGME has an option where you can export to a website - so if you have some free hosted webspace with your ISP, you can put the map there, and access it from any computer/smart phone.

reesylou

Post by reesylou » 26 July 10 5:15 pm

MyMGE sounds like it could be useful... and help with the accesibility issue. I'll google it (unless someone has a handy link). I have my own site (although not used for its initial purpose :P it has space)

I have since moved my GSAK install to the common network drive at home (rather than one particular PCs hard drive) so that solves the issue while at home.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

RebornCyclist

Post by RebornCyclist » 26 July 10 10:00 pm

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 28 July 10 12:20 am

I add the solved GZ into GSAK as a child waypoint.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 28 July 10 12:50 pm

I overtype the posted coords with the answer, and append " GZ" to the cache name in GSAK, then tick the lock box to prevent future GPX files from overwriting my changes.

I can only remember once being caught out by a comment in the listing that said 'park at the listed coords' and going bugger, what were they? It didnt matter much though, I found somewhere suitable to park.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 28 July 10 12:53 pm

Interesting the different ways we all manage this 'issue' :wink:

When we've solved a puzzle we put in corrected coordinates and then change the cache type to 'traditional' (since we only export traditionals and multis to the GPSr) - and lock the entry of course... Working for us so far.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 28 July 10 1:21 pm

I use a combination of the corrected cache coordinates and the "FindableCorrectedCaches" GSAK macro to filter down to not found, available plus "solved" mysteries with corrected coordinates.

I've also made a couple of mods to this macro to pull 'findable' caches from both my GC & my GCA databases in GSAK into a separate database ready for export.

Works a treat and now I'm finding more GCA caches and solved mysteries than ever before!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 30 July 10 12:14 am

I just enter the corrected co-ords directly into the TomTom as a unique POI, next time Im going past I grab it as a traditional \:D/