I like the patches and would prefer sew-on
56%
I dislike the patches and wouldn't be interested
14%

Total votes: 50

caughtatwork

Embroidered patches

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 10 9:28 am

In the past we have solicited opinions on the production of a GCA embroidered patch. Originally we asked about baseball caps actually and people suggested that a stand alone embroidered patch would be better as it could then be attached to any clothing type (baseball cap, bucket hat, t-short, cache bag, etc, etc) without being restricted to style and color.

Now that we have a little bit of money from the sales of other items in the shop, we are revisiting this situation.

In the interests of complete transparency, I am showing the full price breakdown so you can see what they cost and therefore how much you would be supporting GCA. If you have access to someone who can make the embroidered patches for a better price, please get back to me. I am more than happy to look at any and all alternatives.

These are all 100% coverage as the 4 panel background will require it.
300 sew-on patches @ 62.5mm x 62.5mm = $343.20 (including GST and delivery). That's $1.15 each.
300 iron-on patches @ 62.5mm x 62.5mm = $409.20 (including GST and delivery). That's $1.35 each.
We hope to put a sell price of $3.50 or $4.00 per patch.

We can get an order of fewer than 300, but the price goes up considerably.
300 iron-on is $409.20 or $1.36 each
200 iron-on is $320.10 or $1.60 each
100 iron-on is $269.50 or $2.70 each

A simple assumption is that if we went with 300 for $400 we would need to sell 100 at $4.00 each to return the initial investment and then from then on, every sale is a profit. 200 remaining at $4.00 each would find the server for around 6 months. They might end up like the stickers or hopefully the stash notes that people buy occasionally when they buy a few tags.

I propose 62.5mm x 62.5mm as that's the same size as the GC ones and you can sit them side by side with the same dimensions. 75mm x 75mm which is the same size as the GCA window stickers will be too large for a baseball cap. With the smaller size, it looks more subtle on a t-shirt either chest or arm too.

This is a pdf of the logo (scalable vector). There are no words at the moment, it's just the plan logo. I ran out of time last night to create the logo with words (although I am getting better with Inkscape it still took about 3 hours to make this logo up from the original raw and small logo in the wiki.).
http://www.caughtatwork.com.au/images/logo.pdf

Aboriginal art is in black rather than white so it's raised rather then recessed onto the white background. The edge will be overlocked in white (or something else, suggestions?)

The colors are the same as the pathtags and will be:
Yellow = PMS 116
Green = PMS 348
Blue = PMS 2945
Orange = Orange 021
Black = Black
White = White

I've had a good look around at many options and finally came across the site (http://www.mrbadges.com) which seemed to be quite reasonable in terms of price. I had looked before and got number around the $3.00 to $4.00 per patch for small runs.

I also had a good look through http://www.alibaba.com where you can engage the Chinese to make these for us and the prices range to around $0.50USD each which is about $0.60AUD each. I'm almost 100% certain that's where pathtags got their manufacturer. Given the fun of translations and god knows what else, I think I'd prefer to stick with an Aussie supplier at the cost of a little bit of profit.

So, please offer any and all feedback both on the design, colors, words (include or exclude), sew-on, iron-on, price, etc, etc.

Returned scan of the prototype patch. That's an image of an actual patch.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Re: Embroidered patches

Post by Team Wibble » 06 July 10 11:00 am

I think the badges would be popular, particularly at that price. You've got a lot of scouting and orienteering people in the geocaching community, both of which have a tendency towards embroided badges for achievements and probably like badges in general.

As for iron on or sew on? That's tricky. My guess is more people would go for iron on as its a whole lot easier to stick one of those on a t-shirt or similar. People who like to put badges on blankets or (in my case, I have a badge quilt, just to be different), can't really use the iron on feature but I guess there's nothing stopping you sewing an iron on badge and not using the iron on feature (I've never tried this though).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 10 11:09 am

I have vague recollections of my own scout blanket and the troubles with my mum machine sewing iron-on patches. The machine wouldn't pick up the thread from the spooly thingy underneath as it was too slippery. She used to have to iron them on, then machine sew them on as the slippery back was all melted. I don't know whether iron-ons can be "just" sewn-on.

Thanks for the thoughts though. Maybe someone who is an expert in scouting can offer an opinion.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 06 July 10 11:13 am

The patch sounds good. Personal preference would be for a cloth sew-on with "Geocaching Australia", or perhaps a smaller square or round one without wording.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 06 July 10 6:40 pm

=D>

Yes please I for one would get a few iron-on patches. I was about to suggest that as a shop item, well I don't need to say anything now!
Bring them on, the price is very good.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 10 7:06 pm

Words have been added.

They've been added inside the colored areas to keep the shape of the overall pattern square.
If I put them outside the colored areas, we end up with a logo taller than wide.
Looks weird.

Opinions?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 July 10 7:13 pm

caughtatwork wrote: Looks weird.
Seconded

It just doesn't look right, and I reckon once embroidered it'll look weirder.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 10 7:30 pm

So are you suggesting I move them outside the colored background and have some more white space at the left / right?
Try this one.
The light grey is the overlocked area.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 July 10 7:59 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I'm not sure the text works with the logo at all.....

My personal preference would be without text, but I might be in the minority

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 06 July 10 8:08 pm

I think the first example with the text looked fine, but with the white borders it works well too. But I think it would look better without the borders.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 06 July 10 8:12 pm

I want to vote to have BOTH iron-on and sew-on available. I can see that this will cost more than you were probably thinking of outlaying which is probably a bit of an issue. But I'd probably get a few of each if they were bot available. If only 1 was available, I'd get that one no matter which sort it was.

I like the logo as it is now which has the words outside the colour at the bottom. But I didn't see it without words. I think you need to have the various designs ALL there rather than overwriting them each time, so we can comment on other options. =D> Another great idea

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 10 8:34 pm

OK, sorry for the confusion.
Both of the images have an overlocked border (grey) to stop them fraying.

Logo no words.

Logo with words.
http://www.caughtatwork.com.au/images/logo_words.pdf

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 06 July 10 11:14 pm

I prefer the patch without the words, it looks to busy otherwise, but that is only what I think.
I would buy either one in any case.

Also as Blossom* says the 2 types iron-on and sew-on would be good to have in the shop to give more choice, I would get both type, they would make great swag!

Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in, it is much appreciated.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 07 July 10 7:40 am

My preference is for "Iron ON". But would buy both if made available.

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 07 July 10 9:20 am

Like the patch with words.

As for Iron on or Sew on - I don't Iron, I don't Sew! :-k now what will Maddie like? :D

Happy to buy either.