Happy Anniversary - The Offical Congratulations Thread

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Happy Anniversary - The Offical Congratulations Thread

Post by caughtatwork » 18 May 10 9:08 pm

pocketrocket&friends wrote:I was also excited to pick up a FTF on GC this afternoon too! :lol:
Shame I didn't get my 10th Anniversary cache out in time. :(
You have a little under 4 hours :-)

terrortorian
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found

Post by terrortorian » 18 May 10 9:16 pm

Thanks for the effort that everyone has put into caching in all its forms. Without the vision displayed caching would be less than it is. looking forward to many more years of caching.

Cheers Terrortorian

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 18 May 10 9:21 pm

GhostGums wrote:Its quite incredible that geocaching has grown to what it is today in just 10 years, and the fact that in only took Australia 16 days to cotton on to the idea. Well done to all the people who have made what it is today, especially those involved with GCA as alot of things would not have happended without the site including the recent Mega event.
Congratulations to all involved with the 10 year celebrations. =D>
We thank you all, especially Caughtatwork who assisted us ,by letting us place all the details for the Oz Mega Wagga Wagga on the forums for all to see, 18 months prior to the event. Including it headlining on all the state pages.

Remember, it was only 18 months ago that the processes stated we had to get around 500 minimum " indicative intentions " for us to get the green light.
Everything to assist was done to assist where possible including allowing us to mention major sponsors . =D> =D> =D>

Again ,we thank you and applaud your great work . =D> =D> =D> Cheers Greg. :D

The Morris
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by The Morris » 18 May 10 9:46 pm

We didn't get to seek any of the anniversary caches despite one being placed within view of my office window. I did get to hear Phetlern interviewed on ABC regional radio on a work trip to Kerang though. Thanks to all the hiders and the great people we have met at events. Geocaching has changed our lifestyle completely.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 18 May 10 9:51 pm

Happy Anniversary GCA and Geocaching in Australia.

Except perhaps for getting married and having kids, nothing we have done in recent years has had such a profound effect on our lifestyle as geocaching. Meeting other cachers is a big part of this as evidenced by the recent Mega and other smaller events. The GCA forums in particular provide a mechanism for enhancing the social aspects of geocaching and we much appreciate the work that goes into keeping this running. All the past and present developers and admins are to be congratulated.

lokipagan

Post by lokipagan » 18 May 10 9:59 pm

Started geocaching 1y 5d ago today :). Were introduced by friends and decided it was a fantastic way to discover places we would never otherwise go. Along the way, found some devious minds, some very artistic caches and met a lot of wonderful people. Now I can't imagine what we did before geocaching?! Thank you to everyone who makes this activity great.
~Lokipagan

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 18 May 10 10:05 pm

Happy anniversary. \:D/ =D>

Since being introduced to geocaching at the beginning of 2007 I have enjoyed being taken to wonderful places, solving interesting puzzles, laughing at audacious or cunning hides, challenging myself with the occasional thing that's outside my comfort zone, learning something new about an area or topic, doing the odd crazy thing (some of my friends think it's ALL odd and crazy, but they don't know what they're missing out on!), finding other people's favourite hidden corners, meeting some great people, having some shared adventures with people I'd never have met but for caching, and sharing a sense of community through events (including the Mega event, but others too) and the forums.

My thanks go to all those who share and contribute to this vaguely anarchic but wonderful pastime: the cache hiders, the finders, the contributors of witty or interesting repartee, and all the site admin folk who put in a lot of time behind the scenes to make this a great site to visit. I enjoy the forums and I keep discovering more of the cool features that the site has to offer: there are some amazing faeries doing wonderful work.

I don't know when I'll get a chance to have a proper celebration (by actually FINDING some caches), but for now at least I can get ONE smiley for the day.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 18 May 10 10:13 pm

:wink:
Hey Mate. My friends think (or rather know) that I am past saving, the madness has truly set in.
They don't get my solo walking for 35km to find a plastic container in the middle of nowhere (my favorites)!
Still I would not miss it for the world. Thank you GCA and again Happy Birthday.
=D> \:D/ :D

OldSaint
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by OldSaint » 18 May 10 10:24 pm

Happy caching to old and new cachers. I enjoyed the 10 year event here in Tasmania and hope you did in your respective areas. Thanks to those that introduced to me to our sport of geocaching, thanks 2Devils; to those that have helped me in and with the sport, to those whose caches I have found and to those of you whose caches I have yet to find.
The first cache I was involved with was a virtual at Remarkable Cave on the Tasman Peninsula; the next a micro at Pirates Bay also on the Peninsula and my third on the same day at The Tesselated Pavement a few miles north of the last.
It was a few years till I started the sport in my own right, April 2009 - now having found 499 - 500 sometime this week dependent upon the weather.
Good caching friendships have been developed and I am greatful to have made those friendships and cherish them deeply.
For the great places that I have been taken to by this sport I say thank you all for those great experiences.
May the next 10 years be as good as the one I have had in the sport thus far, good hunting and many thrills of the find to all, OldSaint.

mark_rattigan
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 18 May 10 10:25 pm

Geocaching has brought me a lot of experiences I otherwise wouldn't have had, met been and been places otherwise not expected. Thanks to all involved in GCA and congrats on the Anniversary.

Richary

Post by Richary » 18 May 10 10:49 pm

Happy birthday to everyone involved. As someone who has been addicted for a few years now all I can say is it has taken me to some fantastic places and let me meet a lot of great people.

People are amazed that the few years I lived in Adelaide as an example I saw more of the National Parks and areas around town than people who had lived there all their lives. And since being here I have seen a lot of areas around Sydney I never bothered visiting in all the time I lived here before. Bring on the next new spot :D

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 18 May 10 11:34 pm

Cheers everyone! *clicks glass of champagne against computer screen* Happy birthday and thanks to all for making geocaching so much fun.

red tag

Post by red tag » 18 May 10 11:37 pm

:D :D Happy 10th Anniversary GCA !!!
This is an amazing pastime, involving so many dedicated people. Thanks to the efforts of those who tend the GCA site, and all those who hide and find geocaches ! =D>
This has been a wonderful adventure that has enabled us to discover more of the world outdoors, and to rediscover the world in our own backyard !
Many happy returns GCA and congratulations to everyone who has contributed to make this sport what it is today - it has advanced so much in the 1040 days (a statistic thanks to GCA!) :o since we started !
Although at times a VERY emotional ride for us :oops: ](*,) :cry: :roll: #-o :D \:D/ particularly concerning DNF, it has always been great fun!!!!

LouiseJake

Post by LouiseJake » 19 May 10 12:55 am

Happy Anniversary Australia!!! Went out and loged some caches today. My caches were found but there wasnt any 10yr caches anywhere near me, oh well I still have alot of older caches to find yet to keep me happy. :wink:

Outenabout

Post by Outenabout » 19 May 10 3:46 am

A big happy birthday to everyone but in particular to all those at GCA for all of your hard work. I have only been Geocaching for just over 1 month, but I have had so much fun in that time. Today was great, I got my first ever 1stTF at 12:10am this morning and got another 1stTF at 11:10pm tonight. It's now 12:45am and I think it's finally sleep time.
Thanks again and Happy Birthday. =D>