Happy Anniversary - The Offical Congratulations Thread

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Happy Anniversary - The Offical Congratulations Thread

Post by pprass » 18 May 10 12:03 pm

Thanks to all who have made this a great game from the techno people to the cache placers to the cache finders – but not to the puzzle makers :evil:

We have truly enjoyed our 2,348 days in Geocaching and have made some great friends and continually meet new people who are always friendly and a joy to speak to.
Hope it continues for a long time to come.

Shifter Brains
8500 or more caches found

Post by Shifter Brains » 18 May 10 12:09 pm

\:D/ Happy birthday to geocaching. \:D/

A huge thank you to all those involved in Geoaching in Australia and in geocaching in general.
=D> =D> =D>

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 18 May 10 12:16 pm

btw what was the first GCA cache? is it still active?
or oldest GCA cache?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 18 May 10 12:22 pm

Official Galactic 8-[ congrats. to Geocaching Australia and the progressive development team.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 May 10 12:24 pm

mtrax wrote:btw what was the first GCA cache? is it still active?
or oldest GCA cache?
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0001

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 18 May 10 12:26 pm

Yeah to us all for creating and finding all those geocaches - and perhaps more importantly for building a community.
mtrax wrote:btw what was the first GCA cache? is it still active?
or oldest GCA cache?
The first GCA cache Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal (Australia) Adelaide

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 18 May 10 12:28 pm

Happy Anniversary for the Big one-zero to the best, most casual sport in the world in the Great Southern Land :)

Keeper of Time

Post by Keeper of Time » 18 May 10 12:32 pm

Congratulations to all involved with GCA be they hiders, finders or developers. It will be interesting to see what geocaching will be like in another 10 years time.

The Wackys
2250 or more geocaches found
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by The Wackys » 18 May 10 12:46 pm

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Chugger! and I would like to express our heartiest congratulations to all involved in geocaching in Australia, and in particular to all the guys who work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep GCA going.

Who would've thought that sticking a piece of tupperware under a bush could create such fun, adventure and friendships for so many people, from such different walks of life. It really is an unbelievable community we are involved in here, and each and every one of you is responsible for that - congrats to us all! =D>

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 18 May 10 12:46 pm

The first 10 years have been great, and I'm sure that the next 10 years will see things develop even more, especially on GCA.

Congrats must go to the current developers, and i! as the site wouldn't exist in it's current form without them!

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 18 May 10 12:57 pm

Happy birthday and best wishes.

Uncle Jiffy

Post by Uncle Jiffy » 18 May 10 1:20 pm

=D> \:D/ Happy anniversary, congratulations, and well done to the people who keep have kept Geocaching Australia alive for the past 10 years. A special thanks to the keepers of the site who put many many hours in, all on a voluntary basis. Keep it up everyone and we will see a bigger better Aussie Geocaching community in another 10 years. \:D/ =D>

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 18 May 10 1:51 pm

I have only been around geocaching for the last year. I have learnt SO much, seen some amazing things - just in my backyard that I didn't know about, and met some wonderful people!
Many thanks to the volunteers and members of this site which make the community what it is today.
Heres to another 10 years! =D>

Bob From Elsewhere

Post by Bob From Elsewhere » 18 May 10 2:27 pm

Congratulations to Geocaching Australia for celebrating the 10th Anniversary of Geocaching in Australia.
I have been an active but unconventional Geocacher for 3 years and found over 930 geocaches and hidden 34 geocaches without a GPS, but with consultation to Google Earth.
Thank you Geocachers everywhere for being part of the organisation providing the challenges, always enjoyable once completed.
The greatest thrill was to have a geocache named in my honour GC1MAX2 Bob’s Place.
Proud of the Past Confident of the Future.
Remember the weather is usually Fine Elsewhere.

Perma

Post by Perma » 18 May 10 3:01 pm

My thoughts and memories on the 10th anniversary of Geocaching in Australia, or in my case Canada.

I first read about geocaching in an article from the local newspaper. They were talking about how fun it was as a hobby, with the minimal investment of a GPS receiver. I decided to look up my area to see if any geocaches were nearby. I found geocaching.com but didn't like the fact that I had to sign up in order to view the coordinates, but after learning, by the caches title, that one was hidden close by I created an account and got the coordinates. Only one problem, I didn't own a GPS receiver, so I hemmed and hawed about purchasing one, till I found someone that would come with me and use their auto GPS receiver. Well that lead to my first geocache find, but my next wouldn't be for some time.

With the boom in popularity of automotive GPS receivers, I was eager for an alternate excuse to bye one and geocaching gave me that reason. Hopping on the bandwagon I ended up with both automotive and hiking GPS receivers for Christmas, needless to say my second attempt at geocaching came in the winter. Winter caching coupled with my inexperience with geocaching and the cache types, lead to some fruitless searching, like looking all around a sign for a cache not knowing the sign was a clue for a multi-cache, doh #-o . After a few finds I was hooked and my friends soon joined in on the fun.

Although the learning curve was very steep I finally got the hang of things and was soon placing my own caches. The school of hard knocks aka the geocaching.com reviewers soon made it apparent a great many things like how the “guidelines” were more of “written in stone laws” and things like cache proximity were a major nuisance even when you were aware of the other caches. These things, thankfully, lead me to seek out other geocache listing websites, which is when I discovered Geocaching Australia. Although the name implies Australia, and I'm in Canada, I found it to be the best global geocache listing website for my use.

Over my year and a half of geocaching I have come full circle from my first hide at an unusual historic ruin, through the numbers race of roadside micros, back to the realization that geocaching is about the unusual places it can take you and the thought that can, and should, be put into a cache. I fear that the future may be glum for me as I realize that once I have found all the caches in my area, there may be no need to revisit them and nothing to do but sit back and wait for a new cacher to place his first cache and race out to find it. I hope the good locations will be cause enough to revisit the area, and that creative geocaching, things like moveable caches, will continue the thrill of the hunt.

Congratulations on the anniversary of 10 years of Geocaching in Australia, and thanks to the hard working team of Geocaching Australia, may the future be as bright. =D>