Trig caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
POLKYS QUEST

Re: Trig caches

Post by POLKYS QUEST » 21 July 10 9:19 pm

if we find a trig that is listed on gca and is on private property do we automatically archive it? how far onto private property is too far for a viable photo to be taken? i've always gone by the motto if you cant touch it you can't claim it and feel that any trigs on private property should be automatically archived because afterall we wouldn't claim a cache unless we could physically touch it (except virtuals, etc haha). Any thoughts?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 July 10 9:26 pm

50m is generally considered "close enough".
If it's more than that far away, yes, please archive it.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 July 10 11:57 pm

I think the "can't touch it" rule has to be ignored with trigpoints. After all a lot are on top of water towers, and in fact to be able to get a photo of it you need to stand more than 50 metres away because of the angle (at least one I am thinking of near Bankstown in Sydney). So I can stand next to the water tank, but from there you can't see the TP.

Common sense I think has to prevail here, if you can get close enough to get a photo of you and TP without needing a ridiculous zoom lens it's probably fair game.

There is one on top of a high rise at Chatswood I could claim from a couple of hundred metres away (you need to be that far to see it). Still seeing if I can organise a work trip up there under the guise of needing to install a link so I can stand next to it :^o

POLKYS QUEST

Post by POLKYS QUEST » 22 July 10 8:22 am

thanks now that I have some more solid guidelines, I'll start sorting through the trigs while on my caching travels. I archived one last night because it was 140m in on a property and wasn't visible (I checked it out and the farmer had removed it). At least this way people wont have them sitting on their maps while they are doing caching. I'll try to add a photo of the gps and trig to varify that it isn't suitable.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 22 July 10 8:47 am

At can get a bit ridiculous - there is actually a trig point on the top of the roof in the building that we live in! However if we create it as TP cache it may ever only get one find - us :P

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 22 July 10 9:07 am

I've spotted quite a few on water towers that aren't on GCA around Sydney lately. Why did some go through in the Great Trig Point Upload of Sept 1 2009 and other didn't? From a specific database I'm guessing.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 10 9:18 am

Read an uploaded trig listing and you'll see the source it was, er, um sourced from.

POLKYS QUEST

Post by POLKYS QUEST » 22 July 10 9:10 pm

hmmmmmm maybe all new trigs should have to pass some sort of guideline or even better be passed by a moderator! I can see this getting out of hand with people claiming smilies by google earthing them! hahahhahaha

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 10 9:18 pm

No photo, no find.
TrigPoints are a community asset.
We (the site administrators) trust you (the finders) to do the right thing but if you choose not to, then accept the withering stares of the community at your peril.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 22 July 10 9:34 pm

caughtatwork wrote:No photo, no find.
TrigPoints are a community asset.
We (the site administrators) trust you (the finders) to do the right thing but if you choose not to, then accept the withering stares of the community at your peril.
Is there a withering stare icon?

POLKYS QUEST

Post by POLKYS QUEST » 22 July 10 9:41 pm

dont worry i agree that all caches and finds should be bona fide!! I'm happy to sort through the trigs on my travels and archive those that are inappropiate. Thanks for everyones help so far!

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 29 July 10 11:23 am

I was trying to confirm the existence of a suspected trig using Google Street View. I found it and was tempted to take a screen shot of it and then PhotoShop in the GPS....

No I wasn't! What sort of crazy numbers desperado do you think I am? :mrgreen:

Still on trigs I found this site (well known to you all, no doubt) when I was looking for the official name of the trig in Carlingford I uploaded yesterday.
Geoscience Australia Place Name Search
Anyway I was looking in my local area just putting in suburb names and a few came up that aren't on GCA. Not a problem except the coords given are pretty flaky and if I have no idea where it is it makes it hard to find.

You get coords like this for 'Berowra': LATITUDE: 33º 30' S [Decimal Degrees -33.507º]
LONGITUDE: 151º 10' E [Decimal Degrees 151.168º]

Are there more precise (as opposed to accurate) coordinates somewhere?

There's hundreds of trigs in remote areas that may never be logged but I'm happy to work towards getting all the urban and semi-rural ones in there.

POLKYS QUEST

Post by POLKYS QUEST » 30 July 10 8:51 am

flicking through the trigs and came across one called chandler. Now it was archived because it was on private property and then found by someone who said it was 130m away (well past the 50m rule). Two strikes! Then it was listed as admin review and unachived by the finder on the same day. Can someone explain how an admin review works and why this trig should be unarchived.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 July 10 9:11 am

There are no rules.
The suggested 50m away is just that a suggestion.
Trigpoints are community assets and as such, the community deem what is OK and what is not.
If you want to claim a TP with a telephoto lens from 2km away, knock yourself out.
You will bear the scorn and derision of the community though.
Be reasonable in what you claim and the community will support you.

You will NEVER get a hard and fast rule, because with TP's there ARE no rules.