400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 06 October 04 1:20 pm

I use Opera all the time and found that when I switched the import was OK too

teamkittens

Post by teamkittens » 06 October 04 1:45 pm

How long is it meant to take for a find to appear in the stats? I've submitted recent finds and it may or may not appear for at least an hour or so..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 October 04 2:28 pm

An hour! I've had them take days!

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 06 October 04 2:43 pm

On the page that displays a users finds, like their profile, it shows a each month in order of age, can you break that down into days, so it shows what days the finds were made on? Similar to I think the new caches list with the 2 tone grey date boxes etc.

ideology

Post by ideology » 06 October 04 7:35 pm

loon, thanks, we'll look into the bugs you mentioned. do you have some specific logs that demonstrate the problems?

caughtatwork, old logs don't come over. if you want to enter old logs, you can enter them manually or send us a GSAK GPX file of your logs and we'll import them for you. yes, we'll probably do something like you suggest. the reason we haven't done it so far is that there's problems with caches that allow multiple finds, eg that's the trig, etc. there was a tiny special case where people could have logged it more than once on the same day. having said that, we'd rather have that problem than the current one, so we'll implement something soon.

aushiker, sorry, we only tested it with firefox and ie. what didn't work with opera?

gunn parker, are you saying it did or didn't work with opera?

teamkittens, logs usually take somewhere between one and two days to appear.

webguy, that display is meant to be a summary. you can get the individual days on the detail screen by clicking on "detailed logs" near the heading

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 06 October 04 10:36 pm

Boys, as per normal I love your work.

Just a simple request this time. Can we have a link that brings up all recommended caches for a state on each state's homepage please? This may have been requested or implemented already but I can't see it if that's the case.

Thanks
Swampy

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 06 October 04 10:54 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Good Idea Swampy :lol:

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 07 October 04 12:49 am

ideology wrote:aushiker, sorry, we only tested it with firefox and ie. what didn't work with opera?
<p>
Not a big deal for me. I am used to somethings not working with Opera. But since you asked, the "Import Logs" feature does not work with Opera. IIRC it comes back with can't find "" or something similar. Sorry can't be more specific as done the import with IE now.
<p>
Thanks anyway
<p>
Andrew
<p>

ideology

Post by ideology » 07 October 04 8:36 am

swampgecko wrote:Can we have a link that brings up all recommended caches for a state on each state's homepage please?
easy one, done!

the state page is looking a bit messy. it seems to serve two purposes: a leaderboard and a list of what's new. we'll have a think how to lay it out.

we've done some minor updates to the "My" account page - some more of the links work now. for example, you can more easily find your own caches and log from the "My" page.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Speedway

Post by maccamob » 07 October 04 9:25 pm

Is Speedway broken? When I try to use the Speedway link off a cache page, I get an otherwise blank page with message 'no target' at top left. The url for the page says something like "http://geocaching.com.au/redir/?site=speedway&gc=GCXXXX".

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 October 04 10:33 pm

From the main leader board:

Top 10 Finders October 2004
35Team Wibble SA
30Skippy&Lambchops SA
25Posspet Boys SA
25SA_ParrotHead SA
23teamkittens Vic
22Freddo SA
21Gordon Patrick Samuel SA
----------------------
17 Biggles Bear SA
----------------------
17caughtatwork Vic
16dak's Emu Mob Qld

Now it's not that Biggles Bear is marked as being in SA, I undertand that, it's that it's showing 17 caches found. This is a good and correct number.

From the Victorian Leaderboard.

Top Finders Latest logs
23teamkittens
17caughtatwork
13pprass
12juzmac
12maccamob
11Derringer
-----------------
7 Biggles Bear
-----------------
7Rabbitto
6Alsume
6sbalogh53

See the difference.
Obvioulsy 10 of BB's finds are in SA and 7 in Victoria.

So is the leaderboard a board of the number of caches found by state or the number of caches found by a cacher that resides in that state?

I'm not fussed, I'm just interested as I thought it was a leaderboard for the state that the person resided in, in which case I would have thought it should have showed up all 17 of BB's finds.

ideology

Post by ideology » 08 October 04 10:42 am

maccamob wrote:Is Speedway broken?
oops, it's broken in two ways. the error you saw is due to the coordinates being outside the range of speedway's directory. in the old search results, we used to only display the link when we detected valid coordinates. when we moved the speedway link to the cache page, we forgot to check the coords before displaying the link. the "no target" message is an internal error message saying that it wants to redirect to a target site but can't work out what target site to redirect to.
secondly, it's broken because when we use a cache that is within the street directory's bounds, the sydway site gives a server error. our guess is that they have blocked access. they are not as nice as the multimap people!
caughtatwork wrote:So is the leaderboard a board of the number of caches found by state or the number of caches found by a cacher that resides in that state?
thanks, we had to look at the code to figure it out for ourselves! the basic problem is that we don't know which state people live in. (it's in the database but not selectable by the user yet. we have to do some work on this...) we only know the state of the cache that was logged. so:
- the front page leaderboard counts all finds, and displays the state of the last log
- the state leaderboard only count finds within a state
once we get users states in the profile we can do it a little more sensibly! we were just trying to create some stats from the data we had at the time and it has sort of taken off from there!

we've updated the faq with this info

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 08 October 04 2:47 pm

Just one suggestion. I always enter the new site through the forum pages meaning I am logged in when in there. If I simply close IE and do not return the forum to log out does it leave my session hanging? If it does can there be a log out option once in there.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 10 October 04 1:11 am

ideology wrote:we've updated the faq with this info
Your Geocaching Australia Forum login is uses throughout the Geocaching Australia site.

I'd rather it was used actually...

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 12 October 04 10:37 am

Is it possible, when displaying the new caches for a state, to make event caches a special case somehow - maybe so they display from the time they are listed until they occur? If this isn't possible that's fine - but because the 'listing date' is actually the date of the event, without being treated differently they won't appear under new caches in the state summary until after they have occured - and should be archived. Event caches are still listed in the full listing of caches for the state, and are highlighted as new, but not on the front state page.<P>Did I mention that we're having a caching event in Tassie! :lol: