activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

Post by ideology » 12 September 04 8:08 pm

thanks dak and everyone. it's great to get the feedback.

dak, we've fixed the bug - it was due to us forgetting to allow for the apostrophe in usernames
Facitman wrote:The banner of the page appears compressed
the fact that the 404 page looks okay but the others don't is interesting. are there any other pages where it looks okay? cache page? maps? tools? thanks

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 12 September 04 8:32 pm

Anyone else noticed that every users stats page says 0 finds?

ideology

Post by ideology » 12 September 04 8:46 pm

Webguy wrote:Anyone else noticed that every users stats page says 0 finds?
oops! fixed. we added a new column to the log table and it unexpectedly caused some queries to fail. the reason was that the new column was named the same as an existing column in a different table. that's fine most of the time, but some queries joined two tables which meant that any reference to the exiting column failed due to ambiguity with the new column.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 12 September 04 9:06 pm

ideology wrote: - can you please take a look at the test page at http://geocaching.com.au/my and see if it identifies you correctly. it should give some debugging info and eventually say "Welcome (username)". if it doesn't, can you please reply here with the debugging text so we can try to work out what's going on!
it works (for me) on a Mac (Netscape and
IE)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 12 September 04 9:19 pm

Good work Georges...

I do miss, however, one of the old stats pages from the forum, the overall cacher and number of placements list.

And I can't wait for the alpha testing that I helped you with this morning to be implemented......

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 12 September 04 9:25 pm

ideology wrote:the fact that the 404 page looks okay but the others don't is interesting. are there any other pages where it looks okay? cache page? maps? tools? thanks
All pages look the same, home, tools, news, aust , all states, everything except when I force a 404. :? I tried different resolutions, dumped all my IE toolbars, nothing seems to fix it. :(

I'm not too fussed as other than this incredibly minor issue, the site works a treat :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 12 September 04 10:08 pm

Where do we now go to beg for our webpage links to be put up???:D

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 13 September 04 9:43 am

Now, all the site needs is a "NZ" link with all the same functionality for the North and South Islands...

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 13 September 04 12:08 pm

Where do we now go to beg for our webpage links to be put up???
<P>I notice these are up now on the state pages. How do we request that our page be added?

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 13 September 04 1:51 pm

Two questions/notes -

We completed a couple of Webcams on Sunday but they don't seem to be picking up against our September totals.

Team Crackers (a Vic team) look to be off on a tour of SA & WA at the moment and have picked up caches in both states. Their name on the top ten comes up as (WA) rather than (Vic)

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 13 September 04 10:53 pm

Mine is the same, i am based in SA, but my last finds were in NSW, so I am showing as NSW, no big deal..

ideology

Post by ideology » 13 September 04 11:25 pm

swampgecko wrote:I do miss, ... the old stats pages
they're back - the link is in the tools menu. when we resdesign the australian page, we'll put the link in there
Rabbitto wrote:We completed a couple of Webcams on Sunday but they don't seem to be picking up against our September totals.
it can take up to 48 hours for the logs to get to get into this site. have a look tomorrow and we'll see if they are there!
Rabbitto wrote:Team Crackers (a Vic team) look to be off on a tour of SA & WA at the moment and have picked up caches in both states. Their name on the top ten comes up as (WA) rather than (Vic)
yes, that's a little fudge in the system. at the moment the system doesn't have any concept of who is in which state, so we just guess by the location of their most recent find. we could sometimes get the information from the state group that the person is in, but not all people are in state groups. we plan to add a field to the forum profile where people can indicate their state more easily.
Snuva wrote:I notice these are up now on the state pages. How do we request that our page be added?
we've added some instructions on the cache page. basically it's just sending us some details.

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 14 September 04 12:08 am

George²

Thanks for all the work you are doing on the new-look GCA site. The format and style are excellent.

However "Team" comes before "The" in my book... (Geocacher Sites) :roll:

Loon

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 14 September 04 2:51 pm

here is problem for you i! The logo is over the top of the tools and news button<p>Image<p>Thats at a resolution of 1024x768 which I have my 17in monitor on. I put the resolution to 1152x864 to see what would happen and this is what I got<p>Image<p>As you can see the logo moved off the tools and news but it didn't fix the search area. I did put the monitor up to its max resolution (1280x1024) but all it did was move the logo away from the tools button. Something for you to think about.<br><br>Windows XP sp2 using IE<p>Dooghan

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 14 September 04 3:04 pm

I run a similar system, but do not get that garbled header like that, it displays fine for me @ 1024x768