activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

Post by ideology » 08 September 04 5:09 pm

Mind Socket wrote:I reckon the amazon.com style "people who found this cache also found ..." could be neat. Fire some data my way if you like and I'll have a play.
thanks - data sent!
Webguy wrote:so, take it out of beta and make it the primary look for the site already! ...How often are the stats going to be updated, overnight each day etc.
done! it's now on the homepage and we'll update some of the other pages. the statistics are calculated in real-time based on the data we have. new data dribbles in throughout the day, so you may see a delay of up to 24 hours after entering something on the secondary site.
webguy wrote:perhaps the map option, could link to that rather good Multimap site? OK, more ideas...
we've added multimap and speedway. unfortunately cacheway doesn't seem to work any more. we might have to recalibrate speedway a bit.
Snuva wrote:I notice on the 'Tools' page under 'Maps' that the only online geocaching map of Australia listed is the geocaching.com.au one. There are maps showing the caches australia-wide and in each state at http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/australia.shtml.
yes, this is the second map link on the right hand side, just below the geocaching australia maps. to make it easier to find, we've renamed it to Buxley's Maps
All Cached Up wrote:When you are actually on a caches page, it'd be good to have a link on there somewhere (maybe the cache title line) to the GC.com listing of that cache. Also, what about 'newest' Oh, and travel bugs
done. newest caches are listed in bold. we might add them to the list so they are displayed even if they have no finds yet. newest caches are also available in the daily cache emails and rss updates. travel bugs are way down the list at the moment. we are more likely to use the time to introduce an aussie drifter concept which does not involve buying anything.
All Cached Up wrote:the link to 'scargoes (caching team) doesn't work
oops, that was a bug - fixed. the other ones that don't work are Geof with that funny f and JAGEO/SPIDER. not sure what to do about them

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 September 04 5:35 pm

we are more likely to use the time to introduce an aussie drifter concept which does not involve buying anything.
What a cool idea - not that i would object to paying $1 or $2 for an attachable recognizable item.

Might be worth a topic of it's own here to discuss further?

Cached

Post by Cached » 08 September 04 5:44 pm

This might seem like a silly suggestion

But

Could there be a link to GC.com from the homepage. I know a lot of people discovering the sport get confused and go to gc.com.au before they discover gc.com and then wonder what they are meant to be doing.

Nice and obvios like.

This is so, so, so good.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 08 September 04 6:08 pm

There's a gc.com??? What for?

:p

- Rog

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 08 September 04 7:59 pm

New and improved logo colours look good too ... no more white outline!!

Team Piggy

links.

Post by Team Piggy » 09 September 04 9:20 am

I gather all the old school stuff like links to cachers homepages etc have gone by the wayside ?

ideology

Re: links.

Post by ideology » 09 September 04 10:49 am

Team Piggy wrote:I gather all the old school stuff like links to cachers homepages etc have gone by the wayside ?
they are on our to-do list above. we're trying to figure out where to put them

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 09 September 04 10:51 am

I have noticed a few problems with stats etc, like, Philma on the front page is listed with 11 finds, go to their profile and it's 14. I noticed a couple like that.

look at the details for fruitybat, and it says 2 finders on the list, but 3 in the details. Just noticed that sort of thing here and there. perhaps it's an "interstate" thing.

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 September 04 12:05 pm

All Cached Up wrote:Could there be a link to GC.com from the homepage. I know a lot of people discovering the sport get confused and go to gc.com.au before they discover gc.com and then wonder what they are meant to be doing.
interesting issue. we might rename the tools page to "How To" and change the text to accommodate this. we'll should also put links to the secondary site on the state pages.
Webguy wrote:I have noticed a few problems with stats etc...
well spotted, webguy! it was a bug. we'd set up front page and leaderboard queries with "where date > start of month" instead of "where date >= start of month". the individual cache page query didn't have that problem because it showed all logs and grouped them by month. we've fixed it.

we've also rolled out the new style to maps and search. while we were at it, we upgraded the search function. it's faster and allows you to search on more things. you used to be able to search on waypoint. cache name
and phonetic cache name (finds those caches even if you can't spell them!) we've added searches by cache location and cache owner. the results are grouped into sections so you know why it returned a particular cache. to see what we mean, try searching for "eco"

we've also added "nearby caches". to do this, go to the cache page and select the link on the right hand side.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 September 04 12:16 pm

I don't think any of us will be satisfied until you add the 'Cure Cancer' and 'Find lasting peace deal for the Middle East' buttons.<P>It all seems pretty impressive to me!<P>What about, when you click on an individual cacher, at the top of the columns, next to the headers 'Caches Hidden' and 'Caches Found', the number of caches hidden and caches found? Because it sounds to me like your to do list is pretty short :lol:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 09 September 04 12:28 pm

The "Cure Cancer" link had to be taken down because it killed all living cells, and I believe the "Peace" link was removed after the CIA figured out who these George characters are and paid them a late night visit, reminding them about the importance of war on future profits and the effect of the new definition of freedom. :p

In other news, data has been imported for tricky matching. Unfortunately, that's the easy part.

- R

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 September 04 1:05 pm

Snuva wrote:I don't think any of us will be satisfied until you add the 'Cure Cancer' and 'Find lasting peace deal for the Middle East' buttons.
done
Snuva wrote:It all seems pretty impressive to me!
actually, it is to us too. we've been building lots of back-end stuff for quite a while and it's been amazing to see it all joined together. if you look back at the geocaching ideas thread (topic number three!) you'll see that we've been thinking about this stuff for a while. the other thing that amazes us the the database performance. granted we only have a small percentage (4%?) of the caches that are on the secondary site, but the response time has been quite fast (touch wood!)
Snuva wrote:What about, when you click on an individual cacher, at the top of the columns, next to the headers 'Caches Hidden' and 'Caches Found', the number of caches hidden and caches found?
we had avoided doing this because the data isn't complete, but just for fun we'd added that in and we'll see how long it takes for someone to tell us that their counts are wrong. (it's now midday...) luckily, we can now import GSAK GPX files, so if people have all their finds in GSAK, we can import them and get the system up-to-date!
Mind Socket wrote:In other news, data has been imported for tricky matching.
excellent! very exciting! can you have a play with cache finder thematic maps too? (only half joking...)

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 09 September 04 1:14 pm

I thought someone else would point out the MOP, but, I guess I will...

MultiMOP -> MultiMAP

Also, with the multimap linking, GSAK feeds a HUGE url to your browser and of course puts a circle around the spot in question, have you guys investigated this some more?

No mops, just maps please. ;-)

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 September 04 3:16 pm

Webguy wrote:MultiMOP -> MultiMAP Also, with the multimap linking, GSAK feeds a HUGE url to your browser and of course puts a circle around the spot in question, have you guys investigated this some more?
this was the result of some threatened legal action by a different mapping site a few years ago. we've looked at the multimap terms of use and we seem to fit the bill so we've called it multimap and added a direct link instead of through the redirector. we've added the red circle as requested.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 09 September 04 3:34 pm

Looking Good - and my name is correct in the stats too :lol:

Who is our main page photo lady :?: