activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

Post by ideology » 13 October 04 9:52 am

Rabbitto wrote:If I simply close IE and do not return the forum to log out does it leave my session hanging? If it does can there be a log out option once in there.
the forum automatically logs you off after 5 minutes or so. the rest of the geocaching site keeps it alive forever. we guess we should put a 5 minute cap on that one, too!
Snuva wrote:Is it possible, when displaying the new caches for a state, to make event caches a special case somehow - maybe so they display from the time they are listed until they occur? If this isn't possible that's fine - but because the 'listing date' is actually the date of the event, without being treated differently they won't appear under new caches in the state summary until after they have occured
aha, they used to, but in implementing the historical statistics that the ginger loon was wanting, we accidently broke it. the code used to search for everything that was dated after the first of the current month. to allow historical listings, we changed it to search for things in that month. we'll have a look at fixing this.

today we've added the ability to edit your home coordinates and state
the coordinates are used to determine your hitlist (nearby caches that you haven't found) and you can also see a map of where cachers are by looking at their cacher page.

states currently aren't connected to anything but we plan to connect them up to
- the leaderboards, so they display the home state of the cacher, not the state of their last find
- daily cache update emails, which is a bit more user-friendly than asking people to join a state usergroup to get these

just for fun, we attempted to populate these fields for as many people as we could. we set the state to the state in which most of your caches were hidden, and the home coords to the average of all your caches hidden. this is quite amusing for, say, the 2 dogs who have some in sydney and darwin. team chaos is living in the wollondilly river. we dare not look at bear_left's home coords!

let us know how it goes

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 13 October 04 11:00 am

ideology wrote:just for fun, we attempted to populate these fields for as many people as we could. we set the state to the state in which most of your caches were hidden, and the home coords to the average of all your caches hidden. this is quite amusing for, say, the 2 dogs who have some in sydney and darwin. team chaos is living in the wollondilly river. we dare not look at bear_left's home coords!
This Bear dared!
OK, the polar bear is officially a marine animal (ursus maritimus), but this is ridiculous! :shock:

(I've moved us back onto dry land now!)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 October 04 12:14 pm

Hehe.. I must have a pretty good spread of caches, put me almost in the center of Tassie....Fixed now....

cool experiment though...

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 October 04 9:21 am

we've just added a new "cacher" button to the bottom of posts
this takes you to the poster's cacher page
the icon only appears when we know that a forum member is a particular cacher

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 October 04 9:15 pm

Is it possible to have our homepage links come up on the /cacher page at as well as the state page???

For example if someone clicked on my name on the national leaderboard, it would take them to my cacher page, and they would never know about my un-wonderful webpage!!!, Someone would have to go to the state tab to find my webpages' link... (mind you, either way they will be dissappointed :wink: )

Just a thought..

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 18 October 04 3:34 pm

Have just recomended some caches.

I found that as I wasn't loged in at the start the site told me I wasn't but didn't offer me a "log in box". I went into the forum, loged in then went back and all was OK.

A log in box at the above mentioned point would be logical I think or am I missing somthing.

Hope i! enjoys the out back and is "all good" when He gets back.
(Mobile HF Radphone caching next? :) )

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Finds per Cache

Post by maccamob » 23 October 04 2:13 pm

Don't know whether this has been requested before or not, but people often ask which cache has been visited the most. The home page now shows this on a monthly basis across Australia, but I haven't found an overall figure. I'd like to be able to see a list of all our own caches showing the number of finds against each and, ideally, sorted from most visited to least. Can that be done?

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 23 October 04 7:31 pm

How about a year to date stat?

Geof

Post by Geof » 25 October 04 7:32 pm

At the bottom of the top finders list what about a show the rest on a new page icon

And in the jump to: list how about latest posts

Geof

Post by Geof » 30 November 04 5:18 pm

At the bottom of the top finders list what about a "show the rest on a new" page icon

And in the jump to: list how about latest posts
So was this the wrong place for that question / sugestion?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 30 November 04 7:27 pm

Does this still work? I am getting 'page not found'

ideology

Post by ideology » 30 November 04 10:17 pm

sorry we haven't looked at this thread for a while
we'll take a look when we get back from nt

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 December 04 8:19 pm

CraigRat wrote:Is it possible to have our homepage links come up on the /cacher page at as well as the state page???
Done! It now grabs the web address and avatar from your profile.
maccamob wrote:I'd like to be able to see a list of all our own caches showing the number of finds against each and, ideally, sorted from most visited to least. Can that be done?
Yes, we've added a link for "Popular caches" on your cacher page

Geof and Biggles, thanks for your suggestions - sorry it's taking so long - we'll take a look at them shortly

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 December 04 8:27 pm

oh, and before anyone asks, here's the most popular caches:

Code: Select all

finds| waypoint |                         name                         |             type
-------+----------+------------------------------------------------------+------------------------------
   645 | GC2725   | Radio K.A.O.S.                                       | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   369 | GC57F0   | Water Of Life.                                       | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   351 | GC548C   | Lighthouses of the World                             | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   295 | GC7769   | Stone Bridges of the World                           | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   148 | GCAB95   | Things of Stone and Wood                             | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   146 | GC66CC   | Suspension Bridges of the world (Locationless)..     | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   141 | GCBCF1   | Dead Poets' Society                                  | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
   131 | GC5601   | #51 Great Southern Land:  (5) That's the Trig.       | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
    85 | GC68E1   | #58 Take a Punt                                      | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
    60 | GCH1XD   | Hey You                                              | Traditional Cache
    57 | GC3E5F   | The BIG list (Australia & NZ only)                   | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
    52 | GCH0CN   | Hurdle                                               | Traditional Cache
    51 | GCGZAP   | Courtyard Surprise                                   | Traditional Cache
    51 | GCC748   | Wattle Seed Pod                                      | Traditional Cache
    50 | GCG3TZ   | Exhibitionist                                        | Traditional Cache
    50 | GC5525   | 3 Steps Around the World                             | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
    50 | GCHB23   | ET Phone Home                                        | Traditional Cache
    49 | GC29AE   | Where am I?                                          | Traditional Cache
    49 | GCHKXW   | Fruity Bats!                                         | Traditional Cache
    47 | GCFFE4   | Suburban backyard                                    | Traditional Cache
    47 | GCH7E5   | West of the Summit                                   | Traditional Cache
    46 | GCF7A4   | Harbourside                                          | Traditional Cache
    46 | GCF56E   | "Kiwi Trivia"                                        | Multi-cache
    46 | GCB14D   | By The Bay                                           | Traditional Cache
    46 | GCHC4M   | Off The Wall                                         | Traditional Cache
    46 | GCHCVP   | "No Bunny Rabbit Hare?"                              | Traditional Cache
    45 | GCGQBJ   | Sitting down on the job                              | Traditional Cache
    45 | GCHCVT   | "A Tribute To The Wall"                              | Traditional Cache
    45 | GC6EDD   | Jetties of Oz                                        | Locationless (Reverse) Cache
    44 | GC2EA0   | Have a Swinging Time                                 | Traditional Cache
    44 | GCH8AX   | This Is Jam                                          | Traditional Cache
    44 | GC3C65   | No rest for the wicked                               | Traditional Cache
    44 | GCED87   | Toy Motor                                            | Traditional Cache
    43 | GCF961   | "Flax-en Beauty"                                     | Multi-cache
    43 | GCG16R   | Figurehead                                           | Traditional Cache
    43 | GC97D2   | You must be mad                                      | Traditional Cache
    43 | GCJFY5   | Writers of Renown                                    | Virtual Cache
    42 | GCGDT8   | Dight's Light                                        | Traditional Cache
    42 | GCGVMY   | Lewie's Patch                                        | Traditional Cache
    42 | GC31CD   | Hidden Suburban Jungle                               | Traditional Cache
    42 | GCHFRM   | The Wombles of Heathmont Common                      | Traditional Cache
congrats to corporal chaos on hey you, the top traditional cache. (get well soon!)

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 23 December 04 8:31 pm

ideology wrote:
CraigRat wrote:Is it possible to have our homepage links come up on the /cacher page at as well as the state page???
Done! It now grabs the web address and avatar from your profile.
maccamob wrote:I'd like to be able to see a list of all our own caches showing the number of finds against each and, ideally, sorted from most visited to least. Can that be done?
Yes, we've added a link for "Popular caches" on your cacher page

Geof and Biggles, thanks for your suggestions - sorry it's taking so long - we'll take a look at them shortly
<p>
Love the changes. Thanks for this.
<p>
Andrew