activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 19 September 04 2:03 pm

I just did a search for Team Stargazer using the search box in the top RH corner on the homepage & got a list of caches belonging to us - good :!:

But on a few of them I noticed a green tick beside them showing that we had "found" our own caches ... a bug :?:

By the way, it seems that Team Stargazer's cache page link has gone missing from the SA page since the swap over from the old homepage... :cry:

... & Team Langy is also based in SA, not Qld :wink:

But so far the new site is looking fantastic ... thanks for the great effort there i! & friends!!! :D

ideology

Post by ideology » 19 September 04 8:49 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:"From Rags to Riches" appears twice in my list of finds. Also, for some reason, I've been credited with two finds on "Wooden Work 7- Federation Garden".
oops, sorry about that. we think it was due to the fact the cache was logged and imported on the same day. the groundspeak feed then came in and assumed that it was a new log. we'll look into it some more. thanks for lettings us know.
Team Stargazer wrote: I noticed a green tick beside them showing that we had "found" our own caches
can you please tell us which caches they are? we've re-added your link and corrected team langy's. sorry about that!

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 19 September 04 11:38 pm

Team Stargazer wrote: I noticed a green tick beside them showing that we had "found" our own caches
can you please tell us which caches they are?
These were the caches with the green ticks beside them ...
Come Play With Me
Creighton Cretin
Whistle Blower

ideology

Post by ideology » 20 September 04 9:02 am

aha, thanks. we've s quashed what we think was the bug. can you please let us know if they're still there! thanks!

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 20 September 04 11:58 am

I've been credited with two finds for "Dead Centre of Town" - it appears to be the same problem as described with the overnight update dobling up.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 20 September 04 8:14 pm

ideology wrote:aha, thanks. we've s quashed what we think was the bug. can you please let us know if they're still there! thanks!
Yep ... bug squished, green ticks all gone :!: :D

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 20 September 04 9:00 pm

Thanks for fixing my user name i!.

Are my stats that say I'v found / hidden nothing due to the ƒ (funy f) on the GC.com site?

Wile your squashing bugs mind you don't hurt de "da bugs" :lol:

ideology

Post by ideology » 20 September 04 9:26 pm

rhinogeo, thanks for letting us know. we deleted the duplicate.
geof, yes it was due to the funny f. we've put in a workaround so it should display okay now.

Geof

Post by Geof » 20 September 04 9:54 pm

:D :lol: That was a quick fix! :D :D :D

:idea: Have you considered making the GC.com tab on the main page (www.geocaching.com.au) hang down rather than sticking up so as to be visable. Not sure if thats possable as I'm no programer.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 21 September 04 11:32 am

There doesn't seem to be a quick way to see all the caches in a given state like there was before.

Can we have this added, maybe on the top of each state page above the leaderboards?

Thanks

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 21 September 04 12:24 pm

George,

I just did an import that picked up an extra 30 odd finds, seems the other list I sent you didn't have everything (I didn't take a note of which caches they were, unfortunately). Also, the import created a new cache for "R&R 1" (since it didn't match the "html ampersand" version), crediting me with 2 finds, and creating a new unknown duplicate cache GCZZZZZ in the process. Perhaps the system can keep track of GC numbers provided during import, so it doesn't have to ask everyone who's done "that's the trig", i!3.5 Cash etc?

- Rog

zijerfex
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by zijerfex » 21 September 04 10:47 pm

G'day Goerge

The site looks great.

1>I just imported my logs and got a nice bonus in my error. I had no trouble with the import process. A couple duplicate names and a few OS and locationless, but they were dealt with easily by entering the GCxxx code. However, it is reporting that I now have 95 finds as opposed to only 87. Not sure why it is doing this as I only counted 87 ticks. There were a few not founds, but not enough to make up the shortfall. Not sure what the deal is...

2>Are the ticks meant to do something special??? I have the ticks and my GC user code in my forum profile ... ???

3>Lastly (just a small point) could you please change the icon for the Zijerfex homepage on the NSW page. Whilst we are quite close to the EcoDudes and we do hug the occasional redgum, we don't want to confuse the other punters too much :-) Just use the yellow forum icon pleas

Zjierfex :-)

ideology

Post by ideology » 22 September 04 2:15 pm

Geof wrote:Have you considered making the GC.com tab on the main page (www.geocaching.com.au) hang down rather than sticking up so as to be visable.
sorry, we don't understand what you mean. could you please explain further?
All Cached Up wrote:There doesn't seem to be a quick way to see all the caches in a given state like there was before. Can we have this added...?
we've added a link in the state page. beware: some states have very long lists!
Mind Socket wrote:the import created a new cache for "R&R 1" (since it didn't match the "html ampersand" version) Perhaps the system can keep track of GC numbers provided during import
we've deleted the duplicate cache and duplicate logs. keeping track of the GC numbers is a good idea - we'll do that it if it starts getting out of hand. we renamed R&R1 to a standard ampersand, but it may get overwritten by one of the feeds. we'll see!
zijerfex wrote:1. I now have 95 finds as opposed to only 87... I only counted 87 ticks... 2. Are the ticks meant to do something special??? 3. could you please change the icon...
thanks for drawing this to our attention. aha, the reason the counts are different is that there are a few logs in there for you which have no date. these are counted but not displayed because the basic sql query kept putting them at the top of the list, so we just excluded them completely (probably the wrong thing to do...). approx 2,300 out of 30,000 logs on the system don't have a date. the reason is that we have been grabbing data from all sorts of places and popping it into the database. this particular source didn't give us the date. in your case, the undated logs were duplicates of other logs, so they can be deleted. it's posisble that many of the 2,300 are also in that category. we plan to write something to clean these out, plus display them your cacher page. the ticks don't do anything at the moment. in future they will bring up the log text. there will also be an option to expand all logs. we've deleted your icon. can you do us a favour and get us a resized icon to save us mucking around. thanks

Cached

Post by Cached » 22 September 04 3:35 pm

the ticks don't do anything at the moment. in future they will bring up the log text. there will also be an option to expand all logs. we've deleted your icon. can you do us a favour and get us a resized icon to save us mucking around. thanks
Could you do it the other way around?

I keep finding I click on the Persons name expecting to get a log, but it doesn't happen. Could a different icon next to the name take to the profile, but the name take you to the log? I think it would be better useability.

When you click on something it should take you to the logical place, and in this instance it should be the log.

In another instance, on a profile page, it would be better if the team name on the top left didn't do anything - it just takes you to the page you are already on.

Thanks again though!

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 22 September 04 8:25 pm

Just tried the import wizard - works really well!! Apart from one OS log I had, which was interpreted as a cache in WA with the same name (The Grassy Knoll - picked up as GC759 instead of GC3710). The one I logged was in Texas, so it wasn't in the list of caches to match against.
<p>
Suggest a 'last chance' option prior to the import process to allow identification by GC # for these mismatches - eg. enter GC# of mismatched cache, then enter correct GC#.
<p>
Thanks for your efforts, guys - the site has progressed in leaps and bounds in the last few weeks!!