activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 15 September 04 5:01 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Hi Rhino,<p>
Can I suggest you send the details of the offending cache to George² it maybe a problem with the cache/log itself.<p>Cheers TLC

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 15 September 04 5:32 pm

Rabbitto wrote:
ideology wrote:
Rabbitto wrote:We completed a couple of Webcams on Sunday but they don't seem to be picking up against our September totals.
it can take up to 48 hours for the logs to get to get into this site. have a look tomorrow and we'll see if they are there!
<p>

Hi - Now 3 days since completing the 2 webcams but still not coming up although a multi we completed last night already appears
<p>

With some assistance from "All Cached Up" I have now got a full set of caches in my main page including those two pesky Webcams. I don't think that they were going to walk in of their own accord though. Thanks for the assist.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 15 September 04 5:50 pm

DUE TO THE DANGEROUS NATURE OF THIS POST - IT HAS BEEN DELETED.

SORRY

ACU
Last edited by Cached on 16 September 04 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 15 September 04 6:44 pm

Careful with that link, you might get _all_ logs instead of just finds (I think some web browsers change ampersand l t to <)

Try:
http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=11
instead

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 September 04 6:45 pm

Ooops :oops: I folowed those last instructions re. webcams and now I have too many caches in my stats!! It included my DNFs and notes !!

Curiously it still didn't load my find for GCJEJE Four LLÂ’s (The 13th Cache) - the recalcitrant cache :shock:

What to do now to get the others removed and the recalcitrant cache up??

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 September 04 11:54 pm

All Cached Up wrote:To clarify what I posted earlier about loading webcams.. instead of using the link given, use...
cool thanks. unfortunately our webcam logs must be in there as "finds" rather than "webcam finds" because it just says "none found" to us. can you confirm that this link gives you a list of webcam finds? if so, we'll add it to the import wizard. can you see any other links that we can't see that may be useful?

on a broader note, it looks like our feed for webcam caches is broken, which is why you needed to manually import them in the first place. we'll investigate the feed and get it running again.
rhinogeo wrote:Ooops I folowed those last instructions re. webcams and now I have too many caches in my stats!! It included my DNFs and notes !!
oops! the import wizard isn't the smartest wizard around: it will import everything you cut and paste as a find. the reason it can't determine the type of log is that some browsers don't cut and paste the smiley icon. we've deleted the following 11 logs you imported this afternoon.

Code: Select all

2004-09-13 | GCGB54   | Bridge over troubled water
 2004-09-12 | GCG3TY   | Flower Power
 2004-09-04 | GCKCH3   | Line of Sight #2
 2004-08-17 | GC5659   | Spadonis Stash
 2004-07-23 | GCJRTT   | Stringybark
 2004-06-27 | GCF293   | Night Moves
 2004-06-23 | GCJEC2   | Cache Rush 2004 Presentation Night
 2004-06-17 | GCJEC2   | Cache Rush 2004 Presentation Night
 2004-04-20 | GCGD3P   | Kiss Me, Darling
 2004-04-20 | GCHRM9   | Rush All the Way
 2003-11-05 | GCGNMR   | Golden Monster
rhinogeo wrote:Curiously it still didn't load my find for GCJEJE Four LL's (The 13th Cache) - the recalcitrant cache
after much head-scratching we have worked out that it's a character set issue: the apostrophe in the LL's is one of those fancy apostrophes, not a normal one. to see the differences, compare the apostrophe in the names of Four LL's (The 13th Cache) to, say, Top O' Tomato Hill on the secondary site. they look almost the same, but they are quite different characters. unfortunately either the copy and paste or the secondary site's cache listing is happily converting the fancy apostrophe to the standard one so they don't compare. we could manually enter your log, but doesn't solve the underlying issue because there are about 35 other caches with funny characters in their names. we think what we will have to put in some code to similar to the ambiguous cache code to display caches that couldn't be matched and offer the user the option to type in a waypoint name or something. perhaps we can use the phonetic search function we built for the search page. we'll have a think about the best way to do it.

ideology

Post by ideology » 16 September 04 2:59 am

we have done some more work on the import wizard

now if it can't match a cache against the database, it will allow you to enter the GCxxxx waypoint number to import your find. if the GCxxxx number is not in the system, a new cache will be created (owner=Unknown, etc)

this means that you can import locationless and overseas caches. naturally we don't have the full info for those caches, but at least they will be in your list of finds.

give it a whirl and see how it goes!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 16 September 04 7:46 am

Very nice work George, no major problems with the import for the unknown caches

Just one "minor" point however. Caches that we are allowed to make "multiple finds" on... it picked up "on the Run"... but hasn't picked up the multiple find for "that's the trig".... no biggie really... just a hiccup that I noticed

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 16 September 04 10:23 am

Mission accomplished :D

It took a couple of uploads but with the waypoint code method, the recalcitrant cache is now up there too!

Cheers George

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 September 04 5:39 pm

swampgecko wrote:Just one "minor" point however. Caches that we are allowed to make "multiple finds" on... it picked up "on the Run"... but hasn't picked up the multiple find for "that's the trig".... no biggie really... just a hiccup that I noticed
did you log it twice on the same day? the way we check to see if a log already exists in the system is to compare the waypoint and date. if it sees two logs with the waypoint/date combination, it assumes that it's a duplicate. if not, there is something else happening.

on another note, we have update the search page. it now displays more information than before, eg difficulty, terrain, type of cache and owner.

also, for some people, it will display a tick on the left if you've found that cache. if the ticks are working for you, try finding a favourite cache of yours, then click on "caches found by these finders" and you should get a list of caches that are similar enough for the same people to find them. then, scan all the ticks and you'll see some gaps: these are the caches that others have done but you haven't! good candidates for your next hunt!

if you don't see the ticks, it's probably because you haven't filled in the groundspeak userid in your forum profile (the link is in the top right hand corner of the forum page you are reading.) sadly if you update it now, it won't work immediately - we need to do some jiggery-pokery behind the scenes which we have already done for those people who had already filled in the number. we will automate this process in future.

let us know how it goes!

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 17 September 04 5:49 pm

ideology wrote:
swampgecko wrote:click on "caches found by these finders" and you should get a list of caches that are similar enough for the same people to find them
<P>Very nice! One 'minor' point - layout is a bit strange on this page and makes the cache owner look like another cache - and it took me a bit to realise the dots were the Difficulty and Terrain - but just a layout thing - data is actually there and looks interesting.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 17 September 04 6:19 pm

6/11/2002 #51 Great Southern Land: (5) That's the Trig. [visit log]
Found it 6/10/2002 The Grotto [visit log]
Found it 6/9/2002 Lake View [visit log]
Found it 6/9/2002 Berry far away,Nowra you see it! [visit log]
Found it 6/9/2002 Fitzroy's Falling Down [visit log]
Found it 6/9/2002 Saddleback [visit log]
Found it 6/9/2002 #25 The Gib' [visit log]
Found it 5/25/2002 Where's My Name ??? [visit log]
Found it 5/21/2002 #51 Great Southern Land: (5) That's the Trig. [visit log]

Less than a month appart as you can see here. But it has picked up the other "multi-find" caches that I have completed.... something weird is going on.

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 September 04 7:02 pm

snuva, what browser and screen size (in pixels) are you using?

swampy, aha. it was an interaction of two issues. firstly, the trig cache could not be matched with the cache in the system because (believe it or not) there are two spaces in a row between the word "Land:" and the number "(5)". when this is being displayed in your browser, it converts two spaces to one and we can't match the cache. secondly, we'd stored the list of unknown cache names in such a way as it only prompted you for one log, not multiple logs. we can't fix #1 (though 2 Dogs could!) but we can fix #2. so now when you import you should see it prompting you for two separate logs to the cache. fingers crossed!

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 19 September 04 12:07 pm

G'day i!,
<p>
I've just noticed that I am close to the top of the leaderboard in Victoria, however, I've been credited with two more finds than I'm entitled to.
<p>
"From Rags to Riches" appears twice in my list of finds. Also, for some reason, I've been credited with two finds on "Wooden Work 7- Federation Garden".
<p>
So, my finds should be 19, not 21.
<p>
By the way, my sister (barcoder) is over the moon about being on top of the leaderboard. She has not been a regular visitor of the site, but I think that is about to change, thanks to the new look! :wink:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 19 September 04 12:39 pm

ideology wrote:snuva, what browser and screen size (in pixels) are you using?

swampy, aha. it was an interaction of two issues. firstly, the trig cache could not be matched with the cache in the system because (believe it or not) there are two spaces in a row between the word "Land:" and the number "(5)". when this is being displayed in your browser, it converts two spaces to one and we can't match the cache. secondly, we'd stored the list of unknown cache names in such a way as it only prompted you for one log, not multiple logs. we can't fix #1 (though 2 Dogs could!) but we can fix #2. so now when you import you should see it prompting you for two separate logs to the cache. fingers crossed!
Works a treat now boys... thanks