activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

Post by ideology » 14 September 04 7:50 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote:However "Team" comes before "The" in my book...
thanks fixed
Dooghan wrote:The logo is over the top of the tools and news button
oh dear that doesn't look good. we'll see what we can do. it's will take a while because we can't reproduce the problem here. we'll try at different resolutions and stuff.

new functionality:

you can now import your finds from the secondary site onto this site using the log import wizard. importing this should make your counts correct and will be the basis for some more features, eg search results which highlight caches that you haven't done yet, etc. (nb: we haven't written that bit yet, but we plan to)

the log import wizard is accessible from your caching profile at http://geocaching.com.au/my. to import your logs, go there and there should be a link on the right hand side to the import wizard. once there, follow the instructions. warning: this is relying on cut and paste so there could be some problems. we have noticed that different browsers cut and paste different things (yuk...) so keep your eyes peeled while importing and if it doesn't look right, stop importing the data and let us know what went wrong!

could the first few people who import their logs leave a note here letting us know how it went. thanks!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 September 04 8:05 pm

I had a similiar display to Dooghan at a customer's place today.
ie 6 Win 98 800 x 600 on 15" monitor.

The bottom of Australia was across the top of the Tools and News tabs.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 September 04 10:19 pm

I just did the import.

I got 4 'confused' caches and ticked the appropriate radio buttons and everything seemed to go just fine.

I am 4 short which I believe are locationless, so I understand these.

Very quick and simple process. Well done.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 14 September 04 10:22 pm

import worked fine

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 14 September 04 10:28 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>Similar response to CAW's had to clarify a couple of caches with the same names and it passed through without incident.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 14 September 04 11:06 pm

G'day,
<p>
I tried the import, and everything went OK, sort of, but I got the following error:
<p>
Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "s" in<br>
gca_database_v1.php on line 13
<p>
Another case of a recalcitrant apostrophe?
<p>
Also, the "Importing logs for dak's Emu Mob" page says that it only imported my finds from 10 Dec 2003 instead of 21 Sep 2003. All caches were listed on the GC.com site when I did the Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C.
<p>
When I went to my cacher page, I found a few other errors:
<p>
I've been credited with a find on an archived Adelaide cache (Heavy Metal)—I haven't cached in South Australia yet. I've just worked out why this has happened. I logged a locationless cache called "Heavy Metal" recently. The SA cache is archived, so the import procedure didn't see a problem with the clash of names, but it's credited me with the SA find.

<p>
Almost all of my caches are listed twice. The exceptions are the two I logged today, and the ones I logged between 21/9/2003 and 10/12/2003.
<p>
The following cache is archived, but is shown in blue instead of red:
<p>
The froggiest frog cache
<p>
On the other hand, "Scullin Cross Bones" has been archived, but is shown as active.
<p>
Lastly, my "Caches Found" says 597, probably because of the double listings. Given that most caches are listed twice, shouldn't it be around 900? Is this total only supposed to reflect Australian caches, or does it include OS and locationless caches? If it includes everything, it should be 501. If only Aussie caches, it should be 338.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 September 04 11:55 pm

Import worked well, it left out a few locationless outside Aust.

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 September 04 12:21 am

dak's Emu Mob wrote:I got the following error:... Another case of a recalcitrant apostrophe? ... Almost all of my caches are listed twice.
oops sorry, yes we forgot to quote the apostrophe before we fed it into sql. sql uses the apostrophe as a quote character, so any apostrophe in a string has to be preceded (or "quoted") with a backslash "". ugh

unfortunately the query that we forgot to quote the apostrophe was the one that searched for pre-existing logs. this mean that it found no pre-existing logs and happily added the new ones! given the number of duplicate logs, we've reversed the import so your logs are back to where they were before the import.
dak's Emu Mob wrote:Also, the "Importing logs for dak's Emu Mob" page says that it only imported my finds from 10 Dec 2003 instead of 21 Sep 2003.
All caches were listed on the GC.com site when I did the Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C.[/quote]your list could be referring to caches not on the system. unfortunately this import is not written to create caches based on the copy and pasted text. it can only put a log against a cache that is already in this sytem. we thought that it would create too many problems. on reflection, though, we feel a little more comfortable that the code is solid (other than creating all your duplicates!) so we might put in the code to set up a new cache (owner="Unknown", etc) of course, we could be wrong - can you have a look to see if the caches in that time period are on this system?
dak's Emu Mob wrote:I've been credited with a find on an archived Adelaide cache (Heavy Metal)--I haven't cached in South Australia yet. I've just worked out why this has happened. I logged a locationless cache called "Heavy Metal" recently.
ha! who would have thought that that could occur! this will happen when you try to import again. you can either let us know and we'll delete it, or when the copy and pasted text is in the input box, just change the cache name to "Geocache" which will be ambiguous and then leave the ambiguity radio button at "None of the above" and it won't be imported. (it really is quite funny though...)
dak's Emu Mob wrote:The following cache is archived, but is shown in blue instead of red: The froggiest frog cache. On the other hand, "Scullin Cross Bones" has been archived, but is shown as active.
it could be a timing issue. sadly, the secondary side doesn't sent out archived caches - it just pretends they don't exist, which causes all sorts of problems for GSAK users. we detect an archived cache when the cache does not appear in any feed for 48 hours. froggiest was archived on 11 sept US time which could be 12 sept our time + 2 days = tonight. fingers crossed, it will be automatically archived tomorrow. if not, we'll investigate why. having said all that, scullin is in a different category! we have no idea why it isn't archived! we'll investigate.
dak's Emu Mob wrote:Is this total only supposed to reflect Australian caches, or does it include OS and locationless caches?
ugh, at the moment: neither. it's a total of whatever caches are in the system, which is most of the australian caches and the occasional os and locationless cache. we know that's not a lot of help. if you want to get your overseas caches in, just send us a GSAK GPX file and we can import the caches. alternatively, wait a bit and we'll modify the import wizard to create new caches if if can't find them. we want to get the totals to line up with the secondary site so everyone can understand them.

in the meantime, there's no harm in re-trying the import. this time it should only import the logs it needs to! when we write the create cache code, you can do the import again and it will only import required caches and logs.
Last edited by ideology on 15 September 04 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

No joy ...

Post by Slider & Smurf » 15 September 04 12:28 am

ideology wrote: ... can you please take a look at the test page at http://geocaching.com.au/my and see if it identifies you correctly. it should give some debugging info and eventually say "Welcome (username)".
The test page works fine for our computer and identifies us correctly. However, I can't get the page to work from my PDA (Sony Clié TH55). I can log into this forum OK - this post is from the PDA - but it seems as if the cookie isn't being recognized whentrying to access the 'my' page. Browser is Netfront v.3.1. - no debugging code, just a page saying I needed to login to this forum.

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 September 04 12:37 am

G'day i!,
<p>
I retried the import and everything worked 'as advertised'.
<p>
The Adelaide 'Heavy Metal' cache is still there, but we expected that.
<p>
As regards the OS caches: don't sweat it. I'm happy to await further development. I'm just happy to provide the test feedback.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 September 04 12:39 am

slider, sorry we took off the debugging code when we announced the log import wizard. the code reads a session cookie and if it can't find it, an autologin cookie, both for the forums. if you had a fresh PDA and went to the my page, it wouldn't find the cookie - you need to either log into the forum or have logged in before and set autologin. we plan to make this better in future - we are just trying to get as much going as possible at the moment. can you try being in the forum on your PDA and then going to the my page. thanks.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Still no joy ...

Post by Slider & Smurf » 15 September 04 1:20 am

i!, I've tried deleting the stored cookie, then logging out and logging back into the forum. If I then drop out of the browser and come back to my forum bookmark, I'm still logged in - so presumably there's a forum cookie in the PDA somewhere.
<p>
If I then use a link to the 'my' page, such as the one in my previous post, I still get a 'not logged in' message ... so it appears there's still a disconnect. Maybe a login option as well as the redirect link back here?
<p>
Smurf ... from the PDA.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 15 September 04 1:16 pm

I found my caches to be one out, so ran the import wizard again on my webcam list and lo and behold it's all right now. so others might want to do this too.

ACU

Rabbitto

Post by Rabbitto » 15 September 04 1:37 pm

ideology wrote:
Rabbitto wrote:We completed a couple of Webcams on Sunday but they don't seem to be picking up against our September totals.
it can take up to 48 hours for the logs to get to get into this site. have a look tomorrow and we'll see if they are there!
<p>

Hi - Now 3 days since completing the 2 webcams but still not coming up although a multi we completed last night already appears

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 September 04 2:49 pm

I have tried importing my finds three times but find myself one find short. The recalcitrant cache isn't a virtual or anything unusual, but won't show up

Any suggestions ?