No
10%
Maybe with some changes
6%

Total votes: 31

caughtatwork

GCA Official Geocache Sticker - Comments

Post by caughtatwork » 23 January 10 11:46 pm

We are thinking about producing a GCA Official Geocache Sticker and we were seeking your comments on the design.

The design doesn't have geocaching.com.au on it so it can be used for any type of cache you hide whether it be GCA, GC, TerraCache, OpenCache, etc. Hopefully this will mean bang for your buck. We have purposely only used the text CACHE DETAILS and a bunch of line so you can fill in the necessary details as you see fit. e.g. Name of the cache, your name and contact details. This also means when you cut the sticker down, CACHE DETAILS is still meaningful and you can choose what details to fill in.

The design of the sticker is such that it will fit onto a 1, 2 or 3 litre sistema in full size. This is the typical "regular" cache. If you trim off the map of Australia to the right and a few lines of text it will fit onto a 400ml or 200ml sistema. These are the typical "small" caches. If you trim off few more lines (leaving just 2 lines for the cache details), but leaving the Australian map, it wraps around a 35mm film canister. I am not quite sure whether it will work for an eclipse tin, but I reckon it would be close.

These are examples using full size mockup stickers.

The sticker is physically 76mm x 102mm. This is the same size as an A7 piece of paper or typical small Spirax logbook. To get the dimensions, grab a piece of A4 paper, fold it in half down the longest edge. This is now A5. Fold it again down the new longest edge and you have A6. Fold it once more down the longest edge and you have A7.

They will be printed using the same technique used for bumper stickers. This means that it is plastic coated to maximise outdoor use. This does mean that you will need to use a fine tipped permanent marker to write on the sticker then leave it to dry. Pens do not work well as the ink doesn't flow onto the plastic coating very well. CD and DVD markers work as long as you leave it to dry before use. I haven't tested a fine tip Pentel type marker, but I expect as long as it's permanent and you leave it to dry it should work OK.

It is likely that there will be a bleed area around the sticker which will remain white so it is most likely not going to be green to the very edges although that it to be determined.

The cost of the stickers would likely be around the $1.00 each mark with all profits going back to GCA.

What do you think of the design?
Can it be improved?
What elements would you like keeping in mind that cutting the sticker down to various sizes is key to the design?
Is $1.00 too much?
If you think the price is too high, what do you think is reasonable?

Your feedback on this item is important to me in that we don't want to spend money on things you wouldn't find useful.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: GCA Official Geocache Sticker - Comments

Post by pwags » 24 January 10 12:42 am

A good idea, and I'd probably buy a few to make my caches look "more official".

As most of us will hide multiple caches in our "career", would it make sense to sell these on sheets of multiples, to cut costs, and to encourage more hiding? E.g. an A4 sheet of 8, of an A5 sheet of 4?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 January 10 8:17 am

I'm not overly keen on the 'official' part, as it implies that GCA or some other site endorses the hide, but I like the other aspects.

Although it would amuse me no end if it had 'OFFICIAL GEOCACHE sticker'. :lol:

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 24 January 10 8:44 am

Sticker looks good and the misspelling of Offical makes it not Official?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 24 January 10 8:58 am

McPhan wrote:Sticker looks good and the misspelling of Offical makes it not Official?
Offical is a perfectly cromulent word. It embiggens the caching experience.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 24 January 10 9:07 am

Another great idea. I think the price is about right. I like the idea of sheets. Any thoughts on packs of stickers containing one or two of each size. Having these available through the shop compliments the other items available for purchase.

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 24 January 10 9:58 am

My only comment is that you could still have a line along the bottom something like "Support Geocaching Australia www.geocaching.com.au" - this would not stop me applying using the sticker on GC caches

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 January 10 10:45 am

Thanks for the comments. I'll fix the spelling ](*,) No idea what happened there. Oh!
The green is fixed, the mocks up are now only to show the size relative to the containers.

The stickers are all cut to size by the factory, so they come as 76x102. You can cut them easily with a pair of scissors. That way you can cut them to suite your sized container.

We could sell them in groups as well as individuals.
e.g. $1 each or pack of 5 for $4.50, pack of 10 for $8.00.

I'll add Support Geocaching Australia http://www.geocaching.com.au to the bottom and if you don't like it you can always cut if off. Good suggestion.

If we don't like OFFICIAL is there a preferred word?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 24 January 10 10:49 am

caughtatwork wrote: If we don't like OFFICIAL is there a preferred word?
It's only me being me, disregard :o

I think the other comment was referring to your spelling on the mock-ups :lol:

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 24 January 10 10:56 am

I have just checked three other sites selling cache container stickers ( all be it probably the same supplier) and they have the word official on them. Those are the GC supplied stickers and ones through other outlets.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 January 10 11:38 am

I like official in the sense that if someone spots it and they see official they may be less inclined to report / remove it. It is probably misrepresentation, but hey, it's a geocache and it officially a geocache.

I hope that our here are less expensive than others. If you see a similar sized sticker for less, let me know. We want to do two things with these stickers.
a. Get the cacher value for money.
b. Get a small profit to GCA for the effort.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 24 January 10 11:40 am

C@W I think the current design looks great and I would be happy to pay $8.00 for 10. I bet they would look fantastic on the side of an ammo can =D> .

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 24 January 10 11:59 am

caughtatwork wrote:I like official in the sense that if someone spots it and they see official they may be less inclined to report / remove it. It is probably misrepresentation, but hey, it's a geocache and it officially a geocache.
Other organizations have been placing Official Geocache on their cache container stickers for a fair while now - I doubt it's a problem of misrepresentation so long as the container the sticker is on really is a Geocache, regardless of GCA or GC.

As to cost - looks good and from what I can find - attractively competitive.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 24 January 10 12:42 pm

I like these and will probably buy several when released.

I like the idea of placing "Support Geocaching Australia http://www.geocaching.com.au" at the footer. The way its displayed on the footer in the mockup is a little confusing. I also like how that can be cut down to fit a variety of containers without sacrificing important elements.

Shall watch with eagerness with credit card in hand.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 24 January 10 2:00 pm

One of the types of stickers I have purchased (geocaching.com) is on a shiny green paper and it is awful to write the cache details etc. on. Most of the pens I use either won't write on it or the ink rubs off.