Senate for 2010 - Details, process and (self) nominations

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Re: Senate for 2010 - Details, process and (self) nominations

Post by mtbikeroz » 13 February 10 8:04 pm

Ben, I'll post reply when I get free time from caching this weekend. (see my activities for today & tomorrow - logging soon)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 13 February 10 9:33 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
Mr Router wrote:with only one from most states nominating them self ! it's a crock ! self importance at it's best ! my flame suit is ON, wonder why !! go back to anonymous caching without the need to bang on with crap on forum !! cheers till my next visit some time when ??
I infer from that that you're not interested in representing NSW :-"
i am not a "member"
so no, i do believe that such things are not needed ! caching is a hobby and no longer an obsession !

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 13 February 10 9:42 pm

Mr Router wrote:i am not a "member"
so no, i do believe that such things are not needed ! caching is a hobby and no longer an obsession !
Says here you have been a member since 22 May 2005! Why do you think you are not a member?
You don't think the people that use this website should have input in how the website evolves?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 February 10 9:43 pm

Mr Router wrote:i am not a "member"
So you don't want users to have input in to how this site should do things?
You'd prefer c@w an myself make arbitrary decisions that could radically change this site, all at random?

*WE* don't want to do that. C@w and myself want the community to have more input in to how the site runs, the senate is a good model that has served us well for a couple of issues already.

The GCA Senate has *NOTHING* to do with representing caching or cachers in Australia, only the running of the GCA website.

Your opinion has been noted. If you have anything constructive to say re: the GCA senate, then we welcome it, but if it's just sniping then can you please do it in another thread.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 13 February 10 10:50 pm

I am not a paid member of what ever it is some are trying to achieve in nsw !!!!!! paying to be a cacher, think not !
i am a member of the GCA community, even though i do not find GCA caches !! and yes since 2005.
i/we have gone back to the way we started caching ! and that is when we want to the way we want to without it being debated in a public forum! finding caches is fun, without others telling the way it has to be done !!
no snipping here !!
i rarely visit anymore if that has not been noticed, so i suppose i should just STAY quiet ! cheers

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 February 10 10:53 pm

For the record, the GCA website/Senate and the Geocaching NSW group have absolutely nothing to do with each other, even if some people like myself choose to be involved in both.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 14 February 10 8:05 am

richary wrote:For the record, the GCA website/Senate and the Geocaching NSW group have absolutely nothing to do with each other, even if some people like myself choose to be involved in both.
i am quiet clear on that ! others above thought i was banging gca ! no ! each to their own ! such is life

gypsycacher
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by gypsycacher » 14 February 10 11:27 am

Mr Router wrote: i/we have gone back to the way we started caching ! and that is when we want to the way we want to without it being debated in a public forum! finding caches is fun, without others telling the way it has to be done !!
+1 brother =D> play the game how you want not how 'others' want you too, or think you should.... :-"

respect and admiration to the admin for seeking group involvement in the direction etc of GCA tho.... hats off to those who volunteer for what ever reason and in whatever capacity..... ultimately geocaching is a free(?) and open sport.... GCA can run their operations in whatever way they see fit....

Richary

Post by Richary » 14 February 10 2:07 pm

Mr Router wrote:
richary wrote:For the record, the GCA website/Senate and the Geocaching NSW group have absolutely nothing to do with each other, even if some people like myself choose to be involved in both.
i am quiet clear on that ! others above thought i was banging gca ! no ! each to their own ! such is life
Sorry mate if there was any misunderstanding, you seemed to start off by criticising the Senate process for GCA then moved into talking about the NSW Association - which is a totally different topic. Just thought I would clarify the difference in case anybody got confused.

As you say, each to their own and we are all free to go about caching in the way that we choose, governed by the rules imposed by whatever site we choose to list hides on. That's the way I like it and I don't want to see that change :D

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 14 February 10 9:24 pm

Getting back on track ..........

Secret Squirrel & Bewilderbeest. Beesty - Glad you put your name forward. I don't see self nomination as self-importance or anything like that, I see it as an opportuinity to share in, assist, suggest, enjoy something besides the actual finding of caches. (hey, even though I "got" nominated by a beautiful young lady who shall remain nameless, I still have thoughts).

I work in Canberra - seat of the Federal Gov't. But I have absolutely nothing to do with it, or any policy things or anything! Nor do I particularly want to either. I do see a need though in GCA for representatives to do all sorts of things. Things such as talking with various regulatory authorities, suggest things to enhance the caching experience, initiatives, finance, (and to always abide by the law (The law may or may not be an Ass, but that's life). I think the GCA feature of identifying NSW et al National parks etc is being responsible). I'm sure there are more things you do behind the scenes I'm totally unaware of.

Sure, I want geocaching to remain simple, free and open to all, and if I was to have any input, I would like the status quo to remain, but by all means, new things can come along, new challenges, political stuff (ugh!), but whatever,........, (Thanks to Fore! here), lets just enjoy ourselves, and self-regulate ourselves, responsibly. If difficult decisions need to be made, I'm happy to throw in my bit, but in any democracy, the majority rules.

Can't say much else, simply because it's all new to me.

ACT Cachers - seems you have a choice - I would be quite happy if you chose Pete, a worthwhile potential senator. (That's not reverse psychology).

Dave, the muddy Coooeeee machine.

Richary

Post by Richary » 14 February 10 10:57 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:I do see a need though in GCA for representatives to do all sorts of things. Things such as talking with various regulatory authorities, suggest things to enhance the caching experience, initiatives, finance,
Dave, GCA as a website has nothing to do with anything official like you suggest above, apart from the financial aspect of keeping this great website available to everyone. Certainly no official contact with the regulatory authorities about where you can place caches.

It had been suggested in the past that a national geocaching association be formed to do that job, but it didn't happen and NSW and Tasmania at least have formed their own to do that contact with the authorities. But that's nothing to do with GCA and nothing to do with the Senate.

hope to catch up at Wagga in any case, be nice to put a face to the name :)

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 15 February 10 6:01 pm

OK, if I get the nomination, I'll find out what happens, if not, Beesty will. No harm in putting forth my thoughts .

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 15 February 10 11:35 pm

CraigRat wrote:
So you don't want users to have input in to how this site should do things?
You'd prefer c@w an myself make arbitrary decisions that could radically change this site, all at random?

*WE* don't want to do that. C@w and myself want the community to have more input in to how the site runs, the senate is a good model that has served us well for a couple of issues already.

The GCA Senate has *NOTHING* to do with representing caching or cachers in Australia, only the running of the GCA website. .....
Important points that need to be noted by all of us. GCA is at this point in time remaining apolitical and perhaps rightly so. :-k

In doing so GCA it provides an impartial avenue for opinions to be expressed freely. =D> This provides an important link between the emerging formal associations and the freedoms of the open caching community \:D/

However, we must also recognise that the Australian Parks agencies are aware of GCA and the forum discussions occurring. Ultimately decisions on some issues will no doubt impact on and possibly influence the success or otherwise of the negotiations by organisations and individuals who are attempting to lobby the regulators for access to land managed by the parks authorities. [-o< :-k

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 February 10 8:53 am

Nominations close this Sunday.
For those states that have multiple nominations we will run a poll for each state for a period of 1 week.
By Sunday 7-Mar-2010 we will conclude the voting and the process will close for this year.
Successful senators will be announced the following week.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 24 February 10 5:45 pm

I'll throw my hat in the ring for NSW as well.

I'm a cacher with about 3 years experience on this site and have seen a lot of changes over that time.

I know a number of the NSW cachers as we often attend events all over the state.

I've only found limited GCA caches over time but this was mainly due to the quality that I was finding I pulled up. I still maintain GCA caches and GC caches in GSAK and have a number of caches on my planned list.

I am an active member within the forums and I would think of myself as familiar with the website.

I would like to assist in any way I can.

Cheers,

Matt