Logon redirection

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Logon redirection

Post by blossom* » 27 May 11 7:06 pm

When I go looking around the GCA site for various things, sometimes it turns out I'm not logged on. And sometimes I want to be logged on to do something eg log a find. So I go to the logon but after I've done that, I end up back at the front page and I have to do the search again to get back to the spot I was when i wanted to log in.

So the question is whether you can end up at the same spot only logged in after the above sort of action? (if you get what I'm trying to say here)

caughtatwork

Re: Logon redirection

Post by caughtatwork » 27 May 11 8:13 pm

In general when you log in, it should take you back to the page you were on when you hit the login link.
There shouldn't be too many places it can't take you back to.

If I'm looking at a cache page and then log in, it takes me to that page.
If you remember what page you were on when you logged in, let me know and I'll see if it's just that page.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 27 May 11 8:43 pm

For example when i do a search for "cowan" I get the results and then think whoops, I'd better log in so I can see which I've found. I go and log in and am taken to a blank search result screen

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 May 11 8:48 pm

Ahhh, yes it will do that.
Technical reason.
When you do a search you are using an internet method called POST. i.e. You don't get a new address in the address bar thingy. So when you log in it takes you back to the search page, but does not run the search again.
When you are on (say) a cache page, the address of the cache page is set on the login page and will redirect you back to the last cache page you were on.
Sorry, nothing I can do about that type of problem.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 27 May 11 9:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation. At least now i know where it will work and where it won't :D

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

GCA POST Search

Post by pjmpjm » 28 May 11 10:52 am

caughtatwork wrote:Ahhh, yes it will do that.Technical reason. When you do a search you are using an internet method called POST. i.e. You don't get a new address in the address bar thingy. So when you log in it takes you back to the search page, but does not run the search again. When you are on (say) a cache page, the address of the cache page is set on the login page and will redirect you back to the last cache page you were on. Sorry, nothing I can do about that type of problem.
I noticed that too. Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.