Public Routes?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
kennythe1st

Public Routes?

Post by kennythe1st » 10 January 10 1:28 pm

:idea: Has consideration been given to a Public Routes facility version of My Routes?

This arose because I'm interested in the potential for developing caches in conjunction with a particular long distance multi-use trail that is due to open this year. Then looking at Geocaching.com I notice their User Routes can be made public - although it has at least one annoying flaw.

It struck me that this could be useful in Australia as there are an increasing number of routes such as rail trails, historic long distance routes (Heysen Trail) and of course the Bi-Centennial Trail. Having those searchable would be great. I rather think some of those trail commissions would welcome the opportunity to include geoaching possibilities in their trail promotion, in which case geocaching benefits reciprocally at no cost (although perhaps some geocachers would prefer to keep geocaching 'secret'?)

While we could use the GC Routes function, I find your GCA use of Google Maps more accessible.

Regards, Kenny

caughtatwork

Re: Public Routes?

Post by caughtatwork » 10 January 10 3:51 pm

Trouble with public routes (from a private route) is the selection of cache types and the radius. They are not going to suit everyone (or possibly anyone apart from the owner).

We could think about using the route data and have a different set of caches to match and radius. I'll look into it.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 10 January 10 4:47 pm

Thanks. Would you like me to e-mail the draft proposal for this particular track so you can get a good idea of what it might involve?

Kenny

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 January 10 9:18 pm

Sure, why not.