Report GCA Site issues here [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
SamCarter
1400 or more caches found

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by SamCarter » 09 February 16 10:14 pm

This is not the most important issue in the entire universe, but the cache "Tintagel Castle" (GC1C5F) is listed in the GCA database as being in "Unkn, Australia" ... which may be a bit surprising to those who place the legendary Arthur Pendragon, supposedly of Camelot, in Cornwall in the UK. (I was looking at my country and state find statistics and wondering why I had one cache listed as being in a "Not Provided" state of Australia.)

Hmmmm .... on doing some further checking (not of my own finds) it seems that there may be quite a few imported overseas caches that have come through without their country identification, and they've ended up being defined as being in Australia. Not all of them seem to be from the UK either. This may make the problem long and tedious to fix. I'll definitely understand if you decide this one is not fixable. (I did a webpage search on "Unkn, Au" on the List of Finds page for a couple of other cachers who had found Tintagel Castle.)

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 10 February 16 12:01 am

Dunno if the error is on the GCA end or mine but I just tried to access the site and got an error page with:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.geocaching.com.au (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I'm using google chrome and I can get in no problems using a different Tab, just seems to be that one tab that won't let me through even if I retype the address in it. Or at least I think it's just one tab.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 February 16 6:34 am

Did you type https://geocaching.com.au , coz that'll do it

it is simple http://geocaching.com.au , we don't currently support secure connections for the main site.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 February 16 8:28 am

SamCarter wrote:This is not the most important issue in the entire universe, but the cache "Tintagel Castle" (GC1C5F) is listed in the GCA database as being in "Unkn, Australia" ... which may be a bit surprising to those who place the legendary Arthur Pendragon, supposedly of Camelot, in Cornwall in the UK. (I was looking at my country and state find statistics and wondering why I had one cache listed as being in a "Not Provided" state of Australia.)

Hmmmm .... on doing some further checking (not of my own finds) it seems that there may be quite a few imported overseas caches that have come through without their country identification, and they've ended up being defined as being in Australia. Not all of them seem to be from the UK either. This may make the problem long and tedious to fix. I'll definitely understand if you decide this one is not fixable. (I did a webpage search on "Unkn, Au" on the List of Finds page for a couple of other cachers who had found Tintagel Castle.)
Data quality can be an issue. I do have a process to fix, but it will need to wait probable until the weekend.

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 10 February 16 3:21 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
SamCarter wrote:This is not the most important issue in the entire universe, but the cache "Tintagel Castle" (GC1C5F) is listed in the GCA database as being in "Unkn, Australia" ... which may be a bit surprising to those who place the legendary Arthur Pendragon, supposedly of Camelot, in Cornwall in the UK. (I was looking at my country and state find statistics and wondering why I had one cache listed as being in a "Not Provided" state of Australia.)

Data quality can be an issue. I do have a process to fix, but it will need to wait probable until the weekend.
Given that I hadn't noticed it from 2009 until now I'd say there's no rush!!! :D

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 12 February 16 3:32 pm

The loading of the URL *** (Where xxx is a query number which returns more than 3000 entries) throws a PHP memory allocation error in HTML format. I was hoping to receive a proper JSON formatted text saying "get lost dutchman, I can't do this for you.".

Edwin

*** We don't want this URL published, thanks. c@w.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 16 4:29 pm

You were advised not to do that, so you're not going to get the right result. I'm not going to address something you shouldn't be doing.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 12 February 16 4:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:You were advised not to do that, so you're not going to get the right result. I'm not going to address something you shouldn't be doing.
I also got it once on a query of less than 100 caches. So it's not only an issue of "it happens when you do naughty things".

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 16 5:49 pm

So what? You were told not to do that. You did it. You get the wrong result. That api call is now restricted and you can no longer get to it.

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 14 February 16 12:00 am

I've just gotten myself confused with things on the site that are called "My Profile".

When I click on "My Profile" from the Menu in the top right corner, I get a bunch of tiles about GCA features such as my Queries, and the like. (Let's call this first "My Profile" heading "MyProfile1")

Somewhat circularly, in this collection of tiles there is a tile headed "My Profile", which takes you to an editor. You can enter text here, and load images it seems, but it is not entirely clear to what avail. (Let's call this "My Profile" tile "MyProfile2")

That is, it's not clear until you click on the "My Cacher Page" tile, where you can see that the text you typed appears at the bottom of some data that is more typical of what a profile looks like on (the one) other forum that I have played in.

To further add to the confusion, when I am on one of the GCA pages associated with my cacher data (e.g., my list of finds), there is a set of tabs available (Details, Statistics, Geocachers, etc.). Under the "Details" tab there is a heading called "Profile" which takes me to http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/SamCarter/, i.e., the same place that the "My Cacher Page" tile link took me to. Let's call this "Profile" heading "MyProfile3".

I wonder if it's possible to make these clearer and consistent? Perhaps call the "MyProfile1" heading "My Cacher Space" (or something that indicates that this is where you can DO a whole heap of stuff). Perhaps call "MyProfile2" (the "My Profile" tile) the "Edit My Profile" tile or the "Add Information to My Profile".

The "My Cacher Page" tile could then be headed "My Profile", and the heading "MyProfile3" under the tabs could also be headed "My Profile", because both take you to your profile page (which can have that extra edited text at the bottom).

Would that be better? I hope that there's some sort of solution possible, anyway.

[The reason I've ended up going around in these seeming endless loops is because I can't figure out where to update my GCA alerts settings. Ahhhh ... it's okay, I've found it. :-) ]

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 14 February 16 9:44 am

A friend asked about how to set up a Query in GCA and for the life of me I could not find a link to the myquery page. I eventually found the link by going through the wiki. Where is the link to be found?

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 14 February 16 10:49 am

crew 153 wrote:A friend asked about how to set up a Query in GCA and for the life of me I could not find a link to the myquery page. I eventually found the link by going through the wiki. Where is the link to be found?
Menu/My Profile/My Query (2nd Row, 3rd from left)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 February 16 10:59 am

crew 153 wrote:A friend asked about how to set up a Query in GCA and for the life of me I could not find a link to the myquery page. I eventually found the link by going through the wiki. Where is the link to be found?
From the menu: Find A Geocache - > Find a Geocache My Query (2nd left top row)

You have to be logged in to see it though.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 February 16 11:25 am

SamCarter wrote:I've just gotten myself confused with things on the site that are called "My Profile".

When I click on "My Profile" from the Menu in the top right corner, I get a bunch of tiles about GCA features such as my Queries, and the like. (Let's call this first "My Profile" heading "MyProfile1")

Somewhat circularly, in this collection of tiles there is a tile headed "My Profile", which takes you to an editor. You can enter text here, and load images it seems, but it is not entirely clear to what avail. (Let's call this "My Profile" tile "MyProfile2")

That is, it's not clear until you click on the "My Cacher Page" tile, where you can see that the text you typed appears at the bottom of some data that is more typical of what a profile looks like on (the one) other forum that I have played in.

To further add to the confusion, when I am on one of the GCA pages associated with my cacher data (e.g., my list of finds), there is a set of tabs available (Details, Statistics, Geocachers, etc.). Under the "Details" tab there is a heading called "Profile" which takes me to http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/SamCarter/, i.e., the same place that the "My Cacher Page" tile link took me to. Let's call this "Profile" heading "MyProfile3".

I wonder if it's possible to make these clearer and consistent? Perhaps call the "MyProfile1" heading "My Cacher Space" (or something that indicates that this is where you can DO a whole heap of stuff). Perhaps call "MyProfile2" (the "My Profile" tile) the "Edit My Profile" tile or the "Add Information to My Profile".

The "My Cacher Page" tile could then be headed "My Profile", and the heading "MyProfile3" under the tabs could also be headed "My Profile", because both take you to your profile page (which can have that extra edited text at the bottom).

Would that be better? I hope that there's some sort of solution possible, anyway.

[The reason I've ended up going around in these seeming endless loops is because I can't figure out where to update my GCA alerts settings. Ahhhh ... it's okay, I've found it. :-) ]
The main menu is now My Cacher Space
When you get to My Cacher Space My Profile is now Edit My Profile
When you get to My Cacher Space My Cacher Page is now My Profile
Thanks for the feedback. Now we wait until someone hasn't read this and doesn't know what happened :-)

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 14 February 16 1:54 pm

caughtatwork wrote: The main menu is now My Cacher Space
When you get to My Cacher Space My Profile is now Edit My Profile
When you get to My Cacher Space My Cacher Page is now My Profile
Thanks. :-) =D>
caughtatwork wrote: Now we wait until someone hasn't read this and doesn't know what happened :-)
Ah, yes, almost certainly. :D