Report GCA Site issues here [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by WanderingAus » 27 November 12 11:00 am

mtrax wrote:Only a small issue Google map link doesn't work when there is a brackets in the cache name
Eg http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gcad
Worked fine for me. :P

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 27 November 12 11:12 am

WanderingAus wrote:
mtrax wrote:Only a small issue Google map link doesn't work when there is a brackets in the cache name
not if you use the "Native G map" link

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 27 November 12 3:53 pm

mtrax wrote:
WanderingAus wrote:
When I used that I got to with the following
-38.278117 145.101917 (Devil Bend (NEW LOCATION))
and a list of "Did you mean".

When I deleted (Devil Bend (NEW LOCATION)) and left only -38.278117 145.101917 and hit [Enter] I found a perfect map centred on 159 Graydens Rd. No problem. :P

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 27 November 12 3:56 pm

WanderingAus wrote:
mtrax wrote:
WanderingAus wrote:
When I used that I got to with the following
-38.278117 145.101917 (Devil Bend (NEW LOCATION))
and a list of "Did you mean".

When I deleted (Devil Bend (NEW LOCATION)) and left only -38.278117 145.101917 and hit [Enter] I found a perfect map centred on 159 Graydens Rd. No problem. :P
yes the "(New Location) should be changed to just New location
ie -38.278117 145.101917 (Devil Bend NEW LOCATION) should also work

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 01 December 12 12:27 pm

The problem of the original coordinates not there happened on GA5103 so my move doesn't appear on the bingo game as it doesn't have any distance.

In this case the original coordinates were S32° 09.221 E115° 51.603

Can this be fixed please.

BTW I did query for the moveables last night and looking at it you could have more than 70 caches that may do the same as there are no coordinates on the publish logs for them.

eg GA4887 - move doesn't show a distance for Bronnie_1990

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 1:42 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:The problem of the original coordinates not there happened on GA5103 so my move doesn't appear on the bingo game as it doesn't have any distance.

In this case the original coordinates were S32° 09.221 E115° 51.603

Can this be fixed please.

BTW I did query for the moveables last night and looking at it you could have more than 70 caches that may do the same as there are no coordinates on the publish logs for them.

eg GA4887 - move doesn't show a distance for Bronnie_1990
Your log has been fixed.
The system automatically populates the co-ords on a moveable publish.
If the cache is published without co-ords, THEN the owner updates them, they go missing.
We can't really stop that as we have to cater for locationless caches which have no co-ords.
If someone posts the original co-ords, we can manually edit the publish log to include them.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 01 December 12 2:02 pm

When I wrote the cache pages for my 4 bingo moveables, I put my home coords in as the cache coordinates. Then as I hid each of them, I edited the notes & put in the actual coords. They were all correct this morning when they all published.

Three of them now have logs - 2 x found it & 1 x DNF. And all 3 of them are showing my home coords as their location.

What has happened? Why have the coords reverted to the pre-edited ones just because they were logged?

Hopefully no one will turn up at my house looking for caches that aren't here.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 2:52 pm

Toriaz wrote:When I wrote the cache pages for my 4 bingo moveables, I put my home coords in as the cache coordinates. Then as I hid each of them, I edited the notes & put in the actual coords. They were all correct this morning when they all published.

Three of them now have logs - 2 x found it & 1 x DNF. And all 3 of them are showing my home coords as their location.

What has happened? Why have the coords reverted to the pre-edited ones just because they were logged?

There is nothing in the system that I can see that would do that.
Can you give me the co-ords for the original hiding places for the caches and I'll update the cache location and edit the logs to have the original starting co-ords.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 01 December 12 4:05 pm

Thanks. The starting coords for each one was:

GA4705 S. 33 41.926 E 150 33.751

GA5113 S 33 41.946 E 150 33.794

GA4696 S 33 41.363 E 150 34.582

However I noticed when I looked up the GA codes for each of them that GA4705 ( the one with the DNF log) has now got found & moved logs & has coords matching where rogerw3 describes moving it to.

So only the other 2 are showing as my house now. Hopefully once they all move somewhere, they won't revert back to my home each time they get a log.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 4:33 pm

I've fixed them all up now.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 01 December 12 8:06 pm

Thanks

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 02 December 12 6:57 pm

Toriaz wrote:When I wrote the cache pages for my 4 bingo moveables, I put my home coords in as the cache coordinates. Then as I hid each of them, I edited the notes & put in the actual coords. They were all correct this morning when they all published.

I had a similar problem... when we set up the cache pages we just put in random (close to home) *co-ords and then altered them when we actually hid them. They published with the right *co-ords but when they were found they reverted to the pretend *co-ords and so when they were moved the person that moved them didnt get credit for the move as it was less than 1 km from the pretend *co-ords. He contacted me and I altered the *co-ords so all was good. I then checked our others and 3 of them had done the same. It was ones where we had put the future publish logs in before changing to the real co-ords. The others that we hid and then changed before doing the Future Publish log were ok ... :)

* Edited to change word from "logs" to "co-ords" :oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 12 7:10 pm

You have nailed it.

Once the cache is published, changes to the cache co-ords are done via log entries, not via editing the cache page. That's how the cache gets updates as moveable caches move. From the logs.

Next time (and I'll try and remember to highlight this) ...

DO NOT publish your cache UNTIL the FINAL co-ordinates are entered.
We have a number of caches with no starting co-ords at all as they were published BEFORE the cache had been given co-ords.
Updating the co-ords does NOT reset them in the publish log, so the first "move" has no distance as there are no co-ords.

Thanks for your investigations.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 02 December 12 7:26 pm

caughtatwork wrote:You have nailed it.

Once the cache is published, changes to the cache co-ords are done via log entries, not via editing the cache page. That's how the cache gets updates as moveable caches move. From the logs.

Next time (and I'll try and remember to highlight this) ...

DO NOT publish your cache UNTIL the FINAL co-ordinates are entered.
We have a number of caches with no starting co-ords at all as they were published BEFORE the cache had been given co-ords.
Updating the co-ords does NOT reset them in the publish log, so the first "move" has no distance as there are no co-ords.

Thanks for your investigations.
Cool, thanks for confirming what I suspected. We'll *try* to remember for next year lol!!! :D

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 02 December 12 8:00 pm

Sorry, I didn't know that about not editing coordinates after posting a published log. But at least I gave mine starting coords, and the first finders got the credits for their bingo cards.

My remaining moveable will be the same, but again, it at least had some starting coords & the first to find moved it a long way, so he will still get credit for the move.