Post by crew 153 » 15 February 16 11:44 pm

I'm sure I am blind sometimes..

Thanks

Luckyl10n
10000 or more caches found

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by Luckyl10n » 01 March 16 9:51 am

I'm hoping it is just because of the volume of cachers logging finds on Leap Day, but I'm not sure why my Leap Day log doesn't seem to have triggered my Leap Day Trophy in Dragonzone? :cry:

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 01 March 16 10:30 am

Mine either....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 March 16 10:38 am

Luckyl10n wrote:I'm hoping it is just because of the volume of cachers logging finds on Leap Day, but I'm not sure why my Leap Day log doesn't seem to have triggered my Leap Day Trophy in Dragonzone? :cry:
Virtual geocaches do not qualify for dragonZone.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone
The dragons are only interested in physical treasure. Virtual treasure is not considered worthy and does not contribute to dragonZone control. The exception to this are all Burke and Wills caches regardless of whether they are a physical treasure or a virtual treasure.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 March 16 10:45 am

LouiseAnn wrote:Mine either....
Did you update your trophies at this page http://geocaching.com.au/my/dragonzonetrophies/
They are trigged by you updating them otherwise they add too much time to the the logging actions to check everything.
I just logged mine and it's all cool.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 01 March 16 11:05 am

caughtatwork wrote:
LouiseAnn wrote:Mine either....
Did you update your trophies at this page http://geocaching.com.au/my/dragonzonetrophies/
They are trigged by you updating them otherwise they add too much time to the the logging actions to check everything.
I just logged mine and it's all cool.
Woot!! it's there now. I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday, but I might have been blinded by the goldness of it :)

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 01 March 16 1:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Luckyl10n wrote:I'm hoping it is just because of the volume of cachers logging finds on Leap Day, but I'm not sure why my Leap Day log doesn't seem to have triggered my Leap Day Trophy in Dragonzone? :cry:
The dragons are only interested in physical treasure. Virtual treasure is not considered worthy and does not contribute to dragonZone control. The exception to this are all Burke and Wills caches regardless of whether they are a physical treasure or a virtual treasure.
I also have a moveable which was dropped off during a long day of caching, but I'd decided the a move wouldn't qualify, so logged the other one first, thinking that one would would. Will the move count for Leap Day or only a find?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 March 16 1:52 pm

Luckyl10n wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
I also have a moveable which was dropped off during a long day of caching, but I'd decided the a move wouldn't qualify, so logged the other one first, thinking that one would would. Will the move count for Leap Day or only a find?
Only finds.
Celebration Day : 29th February
Find a geocache on the 29th of February

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 01 March 16 10:10 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Luckyl10n wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Only finds.
Celebration Day : 29th February
Find a geocache on the 29th of February
Oh well, my bad. I'll try again in 4 years. Should have realised that it only applied to caches which attracted dz points. That said, I'm not sure what the difference is between a virtual like this one and a trig? That's where I think I came unstuck :-k

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 March 16 8:38 am

In principal, if there's something tangible (e.g. a cache or TrigPiont") at GZ, it's physical. If there's nothing to put you fingers onto, then it's a virtual type.e.g. Virtual, History, Webcam, Locationless, etc.

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 02 March 16 10:17 am

caughtatwork wrote:In principal, if there's something tangible (e.g. a cache or TrigPiont") at GZ, it's physical. If there's nothing to put you fingers onto, then it's a virtual type.e.g. Virtual, History, Webcam, Locationless, etc.
I get it with the locationless, I haven't done a History yet so can't comment, but the webcam and the virtual both require you to go to a particular location and 'find' something tangible (i.e. the webcam or a plaque or building etc) and secure a photograph of yourself or GPSr with the relevant feature, just like you do with a trig. Some of the B&W series are almost

Sdl has a series of virtuals here in Canberra which take you to some of our landmark buildings. To log those caches, you actually have to go to the buildings in question which I think fit the 'tangible' requirement, and get a happy snap, just like you do with a trig point etc. Just thinking it through, but it in my humble view there might be a case for a reconsideration about a couple of the excluded cache types :-"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 March 16 3:01 pm

I'll be absolutely honest here. A cache which has a box can be checked for a signature. A virtual does not. A box cache requires effort to plan, prepare and execute as a hide. A virtual may not. Once a competition is involved things get hairier. As points are awarded at a higher rate for hides, I could foresee see someone hiding 200 virtual caches without visiting the sites, simply by using Google and Google Maps to come up with virtual caches. This is not in the spirit of the dragonZone game and so virtual cache types were disallowed. History caches ditto. Webcams ditto. Locationless ditto. Once I decided to exclude the hides, I automatically excluded finds. I don't think I'm going to change my mind on this, but really, I would be very much swayed by the community.

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 02 March 16 4:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I'll be absolutely honest here. A cache which has a box can be checked for a signature. A virtual does not. A box cache requires effort to plan, prepare and execute as a hide. A virtual may not. Once a competition is involved things get hairier. As points are awarded at a higher rate for hides, I could foresee see someone hiding 200 virtual caches without visiting the sites, simply by using Google and Google Maps to come up with virtual caches. This is not in the spirit of the dragonZone game and so virtual cache types were disallowed. History caches ditto. Webcams ditto. Locationless ditto. Once I decided to exclude the hides, I automatically excluded finds. I don't think I'm going to change my mind on this, but really, I would be very much swayed by the community.
I agree with your point about allocating points for hides and have no problems in restricting those to 'boxes'. I am having a problem though with the inconsistent treatment of trigs as physical caches, but not virtuals (or even webcams), where a log requires a photo which includes the cacher or their GPSr at the site of the trig/virtual. Perhaps the solution is for virtuals to be published by GCA as is the case with trigs and B&W virtuals. That way many iconic buildings and other worthy features (e.g. Uluru, the Olgas, Devils Marbles etc) could be included as GCA virtuals, subject to some rules about the significance of the site, otherwise it could become a waymarking exercise. I realize there is a degree of subjectivity here about the 'worthiness' of a particular site, but not insurmountable. I think it's a pity that Groundspeak abandoned virtuals, but suspect it may have been because too many cachers wanted to include less significant sites.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 06 March 16 12:54 pm

Where have the public tags on non-GCA caches gone?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 March 16 10:31 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:Where have the public tags on non-GCA caches gone?
They're no longer displayed as the cache description area is not shown unless the cache is one of ours.