Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 20 April 11 10:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I've noticed of late as I upload my GC logs into GCA from GSAK that loges by GSAK are being uploaded.

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/GSAK/logs

My concern is that someone (like me) may unwittingly upload the solutions to a puzzle onto the site. Should these be blocked?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 April 11 12:39 am

Well, don't export your User Notes :-)
But putting that aside, I think GSAK logs come through with a negative log number, so we should be able to filter that out.
I'll have a look tomorrow.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 April 11 7:32 pm

Filtered.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 21 April 11 7:35 pm

Ta, might just save some angst.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 22 April 11 1:15 pm

Am wondering what to do.... I have found a few caches here with GC or GCA and they have now been listed with open caching. I had never used open caching for anything but when I was using the map option for either GC or GCA (can't remember which) these caches showed up as NOT FOUND by me.... SO I went to open caching and logged them with the same date as I had originally found them.. NOW they show up as double logs in my GCA list and put my number of finds out...

Should I unlog them with open caching and not worry about the maps or is there a way around it?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 April 11 1:39 pm

It's a question over whether you count opencaching caches as a find if you have also found it at GC or GCA (or TerraCaching or any of the various opencaching network sites).

Do you find a cache or a cache listing? Only you can decide whether you count them as a single cache or as multiple finds on the various listing sites.

At Geocaching Australia we list all caches (or we're trying to) for statistical purposes. A cache is a cache is a cache to us. We don't know if it's the same cache, a different cache 1m from another, sitting on top of another cache or anything, so we just treat each cache listing as a separate cache.

As the number of listing sites grow, this will become a challenge for those who are only interested in GC caches, GCA caches, OX caches, OU caches, OK caches, TC caches, etc, etc.

You can add caches to your ignore list on a case by case basis but there is no "ignore all opencaching.com" list.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 April 11 3:08 pm

Yurt wrote:Because there are over 900 found logs the NSW Survey Marks locationless seems to take a long while to load now (no wonder!)
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0094
I'm on a fairly fast connection but it takes at least 15-20 seconds to load up and sometimes freezes. I don't know if there's another locationless with as many logs but perhaps it can be divided into pages or maybe do the GC thing and only show the last X logs.

Not critical but something to watch out for.
This has now been addressed.
The new AJAX call to the database will show 100 logs to start with. That should keep the initial load time down.
From there you will see at the bottom of the page a button to get another 100 logs (Next Page).
You can continue to do that until you run out of logs.

This has a slight unfortunate side effect of impacting the link to your own log if it hasn't appeared on the page yet. Not quite sure how to deal with this.

canary
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 27 April 11 6:23 pm

What has happened to the Print with None logs facility. It now shows all logs!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 April 11 7:25 pm

That would be a bug. Looking right now.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, fixed.

Thanks for the report.

Richary

Post by Richary » 28 April 11 1:06 am

Have we lost the FTF stats somewhere? Got one this morning but stuffed if I can see where on my cacher page etc to see what ones I have as FTF. Checked the various menus but I must be missing something unless it has disappeared (yeah I know, it's almost certainly my fault).

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 April 11 7:05 am

Richary wrote:Have we lost the FTF stats somewhere? Got one this morning but stuffed if I can see where on my cacher page etc to see what ones I have as FTF. Checked the various menus but I must be missing something unless it has disappeared (yeah I know, it's almost certainly my fault).
Go My > Hotlists

Richary

Post by Richary » 28 April 11 6:44 pm

Damo. wrote:
Richary wrote:Have we lost the FTF stats somewhere?
Go My > Hotlists
There it is! Ta.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 April 11 8:57 pm

Did you know that once you get to a page that you want to revisit, but think you may not be able to find again or want to get back with just 1 click, click on the "Favourites" tab and it will add it into your favourites so you can always get straight to it in the future.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 30 April 11 11:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Yurt wrote:Because there are over 900 found logs the NSW Survey Marks locationless seems to take a long while to load now (no wonder!)
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0094
I'm on a fairly fast connection but it takes at least 15-20 seconds to load up and sometimes freezes. I don't know if there's another locationless with as many logs but perhaps it can be divided into pages or maybe do the GC thing and only show the last X logs.

Not critical but something to watch out for.
This has now been addressed.
The new AJAX call to the database will show 100 logs to start with. That should keep the initial load time down.
From there you will see at the bottom of the page a button to get another 100 logs (Next Page).
You can continue to do that until you run out of logs.

This has a slight unfortunate side effect of impacting the link to your own log if it hasn't appeared on the page yet. Not quite sure how to deal with this.
Thanks for this, works well.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 April 11 11:52 pm

You're welcome.
For accounting purposes I'll assume your cheque is in the mail :mrgreen: