Hosting and servers - We're getting there

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 03 May 09 5:26 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Do you think it's worth pursuing a small subsidy on the hosting by offering a 'Rackspace provided by.....' discreetly in the footer and/or in the mailout? It could save us some coin, even if it's $20 a month a it's a few hundred less a year for us to spend......
<P>It's well worth a try as we are dependent on donations or dare I say that "S" word sponsorship</p>

<P> I have had a look around but I don't really know what I am looking for. I do appreciate the work you guys are putting in.</p>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 09 7:55 pm

Couple of responses:
Hi,

It is $240/m for 1RU colocation in Melbourne.
If you are wanting a price for Sydney please let me know.
If Brisbane was a possibility, we can pay for shipping of your server to our DC.

Regards
Jake
Burst Networks
C.E.O
Burst still say $120 per month for 100GB a month and 2 x IP addresses (one for remote boot) http://www.burstnetworks.com.au/colo.html
I presume this is in the Qld colo farm.

and
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your colocation request for Melbourne.

While we can offer colocation in Melbourne the cost is significantly higher than what we can offer in Sydney and since you are relying on donations I thought I would send you some cheaper pricing for Sydney.

We use the prestigous Global Switch in Sydney and so the pricing is extremely reasonable considering the quality of the site.

Alternatively we can host the server overseas for you but based on your data needs this is probably the cheapest solution.

Thank you for your interest in Sublime IP

Kind Regards,

--
Tristan Newton
Sublime IP

Tel: 61 2 9948 8888
Fax: 61 2 9948 1111
Email: tristan@sublimeip.com

Sydney, Aust ral ia Colocation Services

Colocation Setup for 1 RU (NRC): AUD99

1 RU Colocation* (MRC): AUD99

100Gb of Internet Data (MRC): AUD75

* Includes 150W of power
NRC is Non Recurring Charge
MRC is Monthly Recurring Charge

Summary:
Melbourne = Expensive $200 - $240
Sydney = Cheaper $150 - $200
Brisbane = Cheapest $120

Make a call peeps.

It's your machine and money as much as mine. Qld should be OK if we get 2 x IP and can remote iLO to the machine if we power it down for any reason.

Failing that, I'm sure we could con someone in Brisbane to kick the box if we needed it.

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 05 May 09 8:12 pm

Value for money is in Brisbane

But what about logistics :?:
Getting it there and set up. Will it need a bit of fine tuning once it is installed or can this be done remotely?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 09 8:36 pm

Burst say they will pay fro shipping and (I assume) installation :-)

Basically once we get an IP address, everything can be done remotely, so there's no danger if we "forget" something before we ship it off. If we can ssh to the box it's as good as having on the desk next to me vs. in a DC in Brisbane.

Good question though.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 09 10:15 pm

Yes thats correct $120/month

- 2 IP's
- 100Gb Bandwidth
- 1 Power port

There will be a $30 once off setup fee this can include installation of the operating system
I've asked for clarification on GB vs. Gb.
100Gb = 12GB (close enough) which is a big difference.
If he confirms 100GB, then I'll liaise direct with CraigRat, ask the GTA Treasurer for 12*$120 ($1,440) plus $30 setup and we'll go with it.

Let me know ASAP if there are any concerns.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 05 May 09 10:52 pm

Well I thought you were 'off' burst due to their initial response but I see sublime are calling you Paul as well. :lol:

Go for a Brisbane colo and see how things pan out. Enough money has been raised to not have to worry about funds for a couple of years then we can see how donation drives go, membership fees etc again.
(What's the life expectancy on these servers?)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 05 May 09 11:42 pm

Everyone else south of the border is heading North this time of year...might as well give the server a well deserved holiday. 8)

Is there a fix term arrangement or is it just month by month payment? Just in case we need to pull the plug and find a reliable location. :wink:

mm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 May 09 10:11 am

Damo. wrote:Well I thought you were 'off' burst due to their initial response but I see sublime are calling you Paul as well. :lol:

Go for a Brisbane colo and see how things pan out. Enough money has been raised to not have to worry about funds for a couple of years then we can see how donation drives go, membership fees etc again.
(What's the life expectancy on these servers?)
I know. What's with the Paul thing?

It's the CEO responding who doesn't seem to play as much Halo as the phone guy (unless they're the same guy, and if so, whoops!)

Cheap is cheap :-)
I know the machines and they haven't been used much at all so we're probably good for at least 2-3 years. They are 3 years old.

We have one old disk (500GB) and one new disk (250GB) in the machine, so we're probably OK with disk.

We need to define a backup schedule for offsite backup as well as backup from one disk to the other in the event one fails we can recover from the other.

We have dual PSU, so worst case we just swap them over. RAM and CPU shouldn't be an issue.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 May 09 10:25 am

Map Monkey wrote:Everyone else south of the border is heading North this time of year...might as well give the server a well deserved holiday. 8)

Is there a fix term arrangement or is it just month by month payment? Just in case we need to pull the plug and find a reliable location. :wink:

mm
I think we can do month by month, but I'll check. I'd rather not go through this more than once a year or decade :-)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 May 09 11:36 am

Hi,

Sorry about the confusion there.

It is 100GB (gigabytes) / month

Regards

Jake
Burst Networks
C.E.O
Done. Will deal with CR to make sure I've set it up correctly, then I'll sign up and we'll do it.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 06 May 09 12:37 pm

Just to let you know that there are probably quite a few people "out here" like me who have been paying attention but are painfully aware of our ignorance and inability to usefully help. We appreciate the careful consideration that seems to be taking place; we understand that even an informed decision may not turn out so well down the track, but we recognise that it was made in good faith in the first place. Keep up the good work, guys; it really is appreciated.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 06 May 09 12:42 pm

Looks good to me. If it's not as advertised, then we always have the option of pulling them out again and finding Plan B.

Since Brisbane seems to be their preferred location and there's little downside to us, why not do what the Vic licence plates used to say and go "On the move to Qld" (the plates didn't have room for the "to Qld" but we all knew what they meant...)

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 06 May 09 4:38 pm

SamCarter wrote:Just to let you know that there are probably quite a few people "out here" like me who have been paying attention but are painfully aware of our ignorance and inability to usefully help.
</p>Although it pains me to say it, I have to agree with SamCarter on this ONE point, and this ONE point only!</p> Oh and:</p>
SamCarter wrote:We appreciate the careful consideration that seems to be taking place; we understand that even an informed decision may not turn out so well down the track, but we recognise that it was made in good faith in the first place.
</p>So, yes, I agree with these TWO points (I could have put them better, but she said it first, though less eloquently than I would have!)</p>
As for:
</p>
SamCarter wrote:Keep up the good work, guys; it really is appreciated.
</p>

Well, that goes WITHOUT saying!

Oh, and... ermmm.... Keep up the good work, guys; it really is appreciated.</p>
:oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 May 09 7:25 pm

We have signed up with BurstNetworks.
I'm awaiting the IP addresses to configure (that's a 5 minute job).
Then I will pack the machine (box is 24cm x 10cm x 37c and weighs around 20Kg).
Burst will arrange for it to be picked up and send to Brisbane.
Burst will rack it and turn it on.
All things being equal the developers will be able to ssh into it sometime next week.

CraigRat will then be busy setting up the software, converting the data and sending it to the new machine. Some testing and we're away.

No real timeline here, it will take what it takes, but all things being equal, hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 16 May 09 10:15 am

just a hint do you run ssh on the non-standard port, this avoids some of the obvious port scans etc..