Planned Caches functionality

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 February 09 9:17 pm

Have you used the "my query" functionality?

I'd guess not, 'cos that will do exactly what you want (with the exception of a GPX file which we can't provide for GC caches for legal reasons).

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/

Click on Create a New Query

Fill in the boxes (I'd suggest you fill in Number of items to return as (say) 200 or so to avoid flooding the database and returning 50,000 caches in the list).

In the Sort by Closest to fill in where you're going. Postcode, close waypoint, etc.

In the Not Found / Hidden By box, complete the cacher names separated by a |
e.g. McPhan | caughtatwork | someotherrandomcacher

Save the query.

Then on the next page click on the screen link and they should appear on your list as caches that were not hidden by any of those cachers and none of those cachers have found them.

If you tick public, you can also email the query to your friends and they can run the same query and get the same results so you can plan together or independently.

Enjoy.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 05 February 09 11:38 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
zactyl wrote:Nice! No Google Maps link on "First Day Finds".
Now, can we have it interfacing with our "Mates" so we can see which caches we both have on our "Planned Caches" lists?! :D Or maybe that's something for the "Mates" page...
At the moment, correct. The First Day Finds are not strictly hotlists as they're not there by choice, but as a default of finding a cache on the first day it was found. The query for this statistic is horrifying (it's the biggest and most convoluted query I've ever writtem joining half a dozen tables in a very weird way) so I didn't include it as I was unsure of the performance hit. It's something that I will look at when I get more than a couple of hours to play.

Great idea on having it connected to mates. I'll have to see what I can do there. The concept of mates is indeed to have things like this. i.e. If your mate has the same cache on the planned list as you do, then it would highlight that so you can get together and go do it together. This assumes your mates are mates and you're not just stalking someone :-)
Okey dokey.

Go to your mates page http://geocaching.com.au/my/mates/
Very cool! :D Now I need to hassle my mates to add some caches to their "Planned Caches" lists... :lol: