Ignore List

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Geodes

Ignore List

Post by Geodes » 15 January 09 12:38 pm

I was just wondering if there's anything like the GC "Ignore List" that can be applied to forum postings?

i.e Is it possible to filter postings based on some criteria (e.g a string that appears in the subject or poster fields) so that they don't appear when I check the forums?

Something like a very basic spam filter, I guess :wink:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 15 January 09 1:22 pm

That can be done with a Greasemonkey script if you're using Firefox, so you could have the list of "Recent Posts" but filter out posts in State Forums, Buy and Sell Forums etc. Is that what you had in mind, or are you talking about hiding certain posts within a thread?! :lol:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 15 January 09 1:28 pm

Found the thread... feel free to mess around with the script and see if you can make it do what you want.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=6610
Ignore lists don't work well if it's individual posts you're trying to avoid, other people will reply and quote the original post anyway, so you still end up reading it. :wink:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 15 January 09 2:16 pm

Thanks for that - I'll check it out - but I guess I mainly wanted to remove postings by a certain poster which I find distracting and annoying :!:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 January 09 2:51 pm

When we get to the new server I'm hoping that the forum software will include it as I've got a bunch of people to add to the list.

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 15 January 09 7:46 pm

I use the RSS feed to determine if I can be bothered reading a thread.
If I see a lot of posts in the feed that I know I don't want to read, I just ignore that thread when I click on the new posts webpage.
I guess it is the online version of doing this.