What sort of Sponsor do we want/need

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 October 08 11:25 am

Bit of a moot point, unless it's followed by "and do they have an advertising budget that might include us" plus "and I'd be happy to put together a proposal and approach them about it"

The potential sponsorship under discussion dropped into our lap out of the blue, so they obviously knew about us already, meaning that we didn't have to come up with a presentation and all that rigamarole.

Worth thinking about, I guess, but I have one heartfelt request:

Pesky, if you write a proposal, can I spell-check it before you pitch it to anyone? :twisted:

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 09 October 08 11:31 am

I know some people are concerned about what type of sponsor we get. Personally, it doesnt really worry me. I'm grown up enough to ignore a sponsor whose ideals I disagree with.

My issue is with the type of sponsorship arrangement. Some of the ideas proposed in the original thread concern me. They may work out well, but could equally lead the game into places I wouldnt want it to go.

I would prefer to see a more traditional sponsorship arrangement. They pay money which is used to support the website, in return for signage on the website. I like this option because the sponsor has no more influence over the direction of the game than the participants.

Another option could be to (also) provide prizes (not necessarily their own products) for cache of the year awards in each State. The return could be "naming rights" to the event cache (e.g. The Acme 2008 ACT Cache of the Year event). I like this option because these events are fun, help to get people thinking about their favourite caches/ones they'd recommend to others, and also hopefully encourage people to make an effort to put out quality caches.

To me, this is the greater issue than what business the sponsor is in.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 09 October 08 11:53 am

Just remember that we are not going to be placing ads on the website. Is your ideal sponsor going to be happy with a "sponsored by" line and a thanks on the 'sponsors' page? Certainly worth looking into though, might even be able to get sponsors for larger events!

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 09 October 08 12:43 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Pesky, if you write a proposal, can I spell-check it before you pitch it to anyone? :twisted:
spelling-check, or do you check it with magic? :twisted:

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 09 October 08 12:51 pm

I was sitting watching the square box last night and an ad came on for a company which sells outdoor activity products.

This ad had flashes of a number of outdoor activities and I thought hmm.. geocaching would fit in there nicely with that.

And the ad did not encourage me to run out and start doing any of the activities shown so I can't see where it would have a great impact on geocaching if it were shown on something like that.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 09 October 08 1:32 pm

What's a comaplnie :?: :? :roll:

I googled it and google asked me if I meant compline

Does GCA really need Prayers at the End of the Day? ... We will if we don't find a sponsor or benefactor :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 October 08 1:55 pm

rhinogeo wrote:What's a comaplnie :?: :? :roll:

I googled it and google asked me if I meant compline

Does GCA really need Prayers at the End of the Day? ... We will if we don't find a sponsor or benefactor :shock:
Donations.

If we get few we get a small server and you don't get all the stats, other caches, forum, etc.

If we get many (not so far), we get a nice size machine and we get away with what we have now.

If we get heaps we get a nice machine for a year then we move off to a different one as we continually downsize and upsize.

The time to move machines and get stable is a couple of weeks, so if we get a "size" we would like the same "size" next year. I sure don't want to move machines each year.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 09 October 08 4:05 pm

team unicycle

Post by team unicycle » 09 October 08 4:36 pm

Map Monkey wrote:
Hilarious :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 October 08 5:20 pm

Thread over, Map Monkey wins :lol:

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 09 October 08 6:28 pm

After doing some more sleuthing around, and after considering the following statement, together with my exceptional powers of deduction, i believe i know who our potential sponsor might be. Let's not keep it a secret any longer!

Consider the following:
The approach to sponsor Geocaching Australia is based on the following idea, to quote them "The new advertising package is along the lines of new wild places and places not previously visited. Geocaching fits in well with that."
Further evidence can be gained from the acceptance of the following statements from those in the know:
.......I feel that companies who are not environmentally friendly <snip> or not family friendly (eg. alcohol producer) would not be suitable.
.......I would be appalled if sponsorship was from a "product" that would not be allowed to be advertised during children's TV viewing time.
Who else could it be:

>>>>SPOILER - CLICK HERE<<<<

Warning: If you really don't want to know due to your high morals, or you are one of the 3 cachers that don't check out the hints on caches when available, then please do not click on that link....

mm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 October 08 6:39 pm

Hello Kitty?

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 09 October 08 7:42 pm

Just knowing that it's Dora is enough for the boys to banish me!

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 09 October 08 8:35 pm

Imagine going to a cache, and everyone is going "Swiper, no swiping"
:D

Yeah ok it wasn't good :oops: