Send to GPS - Bug Reports

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 24 April 08 10:57 am

Had trouble trying to download a Locationless cache to the GPSr using the new "Send to GPS" feature. Communicator found and listed the GPSr but when trying to "Write" to the GPSr which I think meant to load the Locationless cache onto the GPSr, it came up with this message. Fatal Error: File Path: String Stream, Line: 35, Char: 224 Message: Entity 'nbsp' was not found.
Any Ideas??

Sorry; extra info included. Garmin Etrex Vista CX. Windows XP Home. Firefox Version 2.0.0.14

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 24 April 08 11:10 am

I just tried to download another Locationless cache to the GPSr and got a different Fatal Error. This time it came up with a different "char: 278" and a different "Message: The prefix 'w' has not been mapped to any URI".
Hope this also might help to solve any probs.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 24 April 08 11:12 am

I would have thought if it is locationless there is no co-ordinates.
No doubt c@w will be able to enlighten you more on this.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 24 April 08 11:23 am

That's what I'm thinking. This feature should not be available for this type of cache?? Maybe!!

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 24 April 08 11:28 am

No; came up with another different error for a Traditional cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 April 08 12:13 pm

Well there's no reason you can't send a locationless to your GPS if you want the descriptions, etc if your GPS.

I've made a change to double encode the & characters which I think are causing this problem.

If someone with a GPS capable of using the descriptions, et al, could run a quick test on http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1044 (Dam View) it would be appreciated.

If that doesn't work, I'll remove the textual content and just go with the waypoint and co-ords until I can borrow a device to test against.

Thanks for your patience.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 24 April 08 8:01 pm

Tried again to load GCA caches direct to GPSr tonight and it works fine. I tried the Traditional and Mystery caches and I can find those on the GPSR but I also tried a Locationless and although it says that it has downloaded it, I can't find it under "Waypoints" or "Geocaches" on the GPSr so I don't know where it is going/hiding.
Thanks C@W for your help on this..<BR>
"Dam Views" loads find now.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 April 08 8:37 pm

Thanks Sunshine Toledo.

I've had a report of a bug with & characters in the name of the cache showing up as & amp;

Can you please try http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0723 which is a cache with the & in the name and tell me if it still all works or not.

Do you get a name or a description or any other text on your GPS?

Do they look right?

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 24 April 08 9:08 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Thanks Sunshine Toledo.

I've had a report of a bug with & characters in the name of the cache showing up as & amp;

Can you please try http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0723 which is a cache with the & in the name and tell me if it still all works or not.

Do they look right?
I used Send to GPS yesterday to download this http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0656

took me to GZ even if i couldn't find it.
just tried to download this as in your post. works fine for me.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0723

I use a yellow etrex so only get the waypoint code and a picture of a treasure chest on the map. just like any other cache downloaded this way from GC.com

I can't see any problem with it, it works for me. No error mesaages. i too use Windows Xp and Firefox/2.0.0.14

tronador

Post by tronador » 24 April 08 9:13 pm

Sunshine Toledo wrote:I also tried a Locationless and although it says that it has downloaded it, I can't find it under "Waypoints" or "Geocaches" on the GPSr so I don't know where it is going/hiding.
Thanks C@W for your help on this..<BR>
"Dam Views" loads find now.

i just downloaded a locationless to my yellow etrex and it sent the file fine. No error messages. It is listed under waypoints but of course being locationless the coords are all S0000.000 E00 00.000, as they should be.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 April 08 9:14 pm

tronador wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Thanks Sunshine Toledo.

Do they look right?
I used Send to GPS yesterday to download this http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0656

took me to GZ even if i couldn't find it.
just tried to download this as in your post. works fine for me.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0723

I use a yellow etrex so only get the waypoint code and a picture of a treasure chest on the map. just like any other cache downloaded this way from GC.com

I can't see any problem with it, it works for me. No error mesaages. i too use Windows Xp and Firefox/2.0.0.14
:-) It's looking more bug free for now. If others can test, especially if they get texty stuff, 'twould be appreciated.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 25 April 08 9:56 am

No, I couldn't get Birds & Butterflies to download; but again it says that it has downloaded but it isn't listed under "Waypoints" nor "Geocaches" on the GPSr. I don't know where it is going. <BR>
I just now also tried to download Very Public Baths, a Locational cache but again, it says it has downloaded but no sign of it on the GPSr.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 April 08 10:45 am

Silly question, but is there available space on your GPS? i.e. You haven't got your maximum number of waypoint already loaded have you?

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 25 April 08 11:04 am

No, I thought of that idea and after trying it the first time I then cleared the GPSr of all waypoints and geocaches; as I thought of the same thing; and it made no difference. Still can't find anything on it.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 25 April 08 11:06 am

No, I thought of that idea and after trying it the first time I then cleared the GPSr of all waypoints and geocaches; as I thought of the same thing; and it made no difference. Still can't find anything on it.<BR>I don't understand how tronador can download a Locational cache but I can't. I have no sign of it and don't get what she is getting; an entry with zeros for its location.