WherIGo as an Augmented Realty cache option

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

WherIGo as an Augmented Realty cache option

Post by caughtatwork » 01 June 22 1:50 pm

Hey all.

Does anyone do (create or find) WherIGo geocaches at the secondary site?

I'm kind of interested in knowing whether these are popular enough to allow as an Augmented Reality cache. i.e. be able to upload a WherIGo cartridge to the GCA listing page and ... you have an AR cache which uses a WherIGo as the method.

Thoughts?

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: WherIGo as an Augmented Realty cache option

Post by mattyrx » 01 June 22 8:23 pm

I’ve hidden one and found three. One of the ones I found served as a good tour guide to a little county town and was really well written. Worked smooth as butter too. I think it would be nice to be able to use the Wherigo stuff our site. It’s always interesting to see what people can create and Wherigo fits within the Augmented Reality realm of geocaching. I like the idea of the cartridge file being held on our site, rather than anywhere else too.

I think people with iOS devices can only use a Groundspeak app to play the cartridge – there’s other options on Android. I don’t imagine there’s many who still use a compatible Garmin GPSr or Pocket PC.

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 01 June 22 9:35 pm

Not sure if it will have any bearing on discussion but there is a new series of 150, or so, whereigo's in northern Vic. No doubt they will be a popular target when the mega event comes along next year.

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 02 June 22 9:31 am

We do Wherigo's on that other site.... we currently use the new app on iOS. It works really well, much better than the previous app.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 June 22 9:34 am

Thanks.

Do y'all create WheIGo's and if so what app do you to create them? It all looks a little daunting to the uninitiated nd I'm struggling to find an app or site that I can use to create them "simply" :-)

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 02 June 22 11:45 am

I used Groundspeak’s Wherigo Builder Windows program. Checking now, it hasn’t been updated since 2008. It was a bit intimidating to start with, but I remember looking at an online web app that appeared easier but I just couldn’t get things to work properly. I remember finding Groudspeak’s builder was surprisingly good at some things, like embedding images and assets that could be used in multiple parts of the cartridge.

My cartridge was a simple thing. A five stage multi that must be done in sequence with a single multiple choice question at each stage. The fifth stage was the final location of the cache. I imagine there’s far more you can do with the Wherigo system that I didn't get into though.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 June 22 2:28 pm

Thanks again.

The program as it's provided crashes. A know problem. I needed to download a fixed .exe file via this thread. https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... t-windows/

So now I'm trying to use the basic tools and I can't use an address because the geocoder it uses (yahoo) to convert an address to a lat/lon no longer exists. The basic set up (using a wizard) can't work for me as I can't enter co-ordinates, only an address.

I I don't use the wizard I'm stuck at a screen that provides (to me) little to no instruction.

Hmmm, this may be too hard. Surely I can't be the only one who is finding these sorts of issues?

I am following along with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVrrn4 ... Starkiller_

It seems that there are also Google Maps issues https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... d-crashes/ however the files to fix the issue no longer exist.

I'm giving up on that one :-(

What else do people use that, er, works?

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 02 June 22 3:05 pm

I think I'm mistaken. I've looked at bits of that tutorial video, and that definitely wasn't the software I was using. Looking at some screenshots, I'm quite sure I was using Urwigo.

Some info here. https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... o-builder/
Download here. http://www.urwigo.cz/?page_id=6/

Website isn't in English, but the software is.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 June 22 4:56 pm

Cool. I have seen mention on that, so I'll try it. Thanks for helping someone who knows very little about this stuff.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 17 June 22 8:47 pm

I really enjoy a good Wherigo cache. I think there is a lot of potential with that platform. I was concerned for a while that Groundspeak were going to grandfather that type because the apps stopped getting updated and the iOS version stopped working altogether, but instead they got the developer of Cachly to make a dedicated iOS app under their name. This newer app works very well. Releasing a Wherigo cache is on my (extensive) to-do list. One of my favourite caches of all time was a Wherigo, GC5HJ5D. It’s a long cache and nighttime fell in a dodgy area and we nearly got arrested by Belgium police \:D/ Long story and off topic but the Wherigo platform worked perfectly with that caching experience.. except for the police, and dogs, and me not speaking French.

Edit: I love when great memories get triggered. Thanks for the thread.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 June 22 11:05 am

A quick question.

When generating the files, there are a few types you seem to be able to create. A few for specific Garmin's devices and one for a mobile phone device. Does the one for the phone work on both iOS and Android? Or is there only one file nowadays that is payable on all devices?

Does the cachly app have the ability to load a wherigo from anywhere or is it tied to the GC site?

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 19 June 22 10:34 pm

Cachly gives you the starting coordinates and descriptions only of Wherigos, basically just tells you there is one or more in your search area. To play them you need the new Wherigo app. The app searches for Wherigos only and if you select to download a cartridge it just does it with no options. It’s a lot nicer experience compared to the old app. I don’t know how they work with Android.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 June 22 9:34 am

Thanks.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 10 November 22 11:15 am

I’m finally preparing to create a wherigo cache. I reached out to geo-friends for advice and every reply was to use this platform..
https://kit.wherigofoundation.com

I have waypoints I want to use but I need to find a GZ and weave a story before I start the process. I’ll provide feedback once done. I have a letterbox and puzzle cache to release first though so it could be a while.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 01 March 23 11:52 am

I've just spent an hour inside the Wherigo Kit builder. It's nice to use. It's intuitive with a gentle learning-curve. It's also super friendly with editing and rearranging your cartridge which before this kit was available used to be the biggest complaint about creating a Wherigo experience.

Jump into it for a test run. It's a great tool. I hope to have my first Wherigo finished in the next week or so. I can see me making more of this cache type :)