Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: How many is too many?

Post by Richary » 19 May 22 3:40 pm

oldfella wrote:
03 May 22 2:58 pm
Wiki says:-
A Locationless cache listing must require the finder to locate an object or perform a task in the real world, collect the co-ordinates and log the find with accompanying photographic evidence.
I am trying to work out what task in the real world would be suitable, if there are any current examples (I can't be bothered looking through the whole list at the moment). At least GA0001 did have a task (make a donation) even if it was done online. I don't mind the locate an object part such as water towers or little street libraries, it gives people an opportunity to play even if they live in a cache poor area (on either site).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 May 22 4:49 pm

Stand in front of a statue of Elvis (rather than just a photo of the actual statue).

Wrestle for a geocache in a mudpit (rather than a picture of a mud pit).

Go skydiving (rather than a picture of a plane).

These are ideas only, but may help you on the way.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 March 23 5:08 pm

The archiving of locationless geocaches that do not immediately seem to fit the revised criteria is now underway. Logs are not being removed or changed.

This is a manual process. i.e. I check every listing and if it seems to be "do a thing" then it will be archived. If it's "find a thing" and post a photo and the location, then it stays.

I will miss some and archive others. These can be unarchived by the CO or by the site admins if needed.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 March 23 10:57 am

A quick update.

I have archived over 1,700 locationless caches that no longer fit the updated criteria. Most of these had not been logged in a long time, mostly since the Stay At Home restrictions were lifted.

I am now reviewing the ones that were listed in 2018 and earlier. Most of these will remain in play, some will be archived under the new restrictions.

At the moment there are are over 1,100 locationless caches left in the system so the review will take another few weeks. After that it will be generally a case of CO's following the requirements of locationelss caches and seeing that the correct use of locationless caches exist.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 18 December 23 7:30 am

Just curious as to whether https://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga14855 should be archived or not seeing as it's impossible to achieve it without a time machine.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 December 23 8:32 am

The cache description has no time restriction. But you could always write to the CO and suggest that they change the name or ar chive it.