Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
tronador
6500 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by tronador » 03 December 12 10:22 pm

CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:Great innovation by covert and Ali-J to put QR code tags on their bingo caches.
A quick scan and you can open GA Cacher at the right page to log them without any other action.
And Spladem's :D
And let's not forget the site has had a QR code generator for your owned caches for about 6 months or more........................... =D> :roll: :D :lol:
Where do you find that?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 12 10:22 pm

CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:Great innovation by covert and Ali-J to put QR code tags on their bingo caches.
A quick scan and you can open GA Cacher at the right page to log them without any other action.
And let's not forget the site has had a QR code generator for your owned caches for about 6 months or more........................... =D> :roll: :D :lol:
Which is where I got my QR codes for both GabGab and my caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 12 10:23 pm

tronador wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
Where do you find that?
On any of your cache pages. To the right of the Google Map, in the section where the banner stats (images) are.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 12 10:24 pm

There are 557 Bingo caches belonging to 108 members in the game.

=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

tronador

Post by tronador » 03 December 12 10:27 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
Where do you find that?
On any of your cache pages. To the right of the Google Map, in the section where the banner stats (images) are.
Oh yes, I'd seen that but wasn't sure why it was there. What do you do with it? Yes I know scan it but if the cache page is already open cause I'm looking at it, why do I need to scan it to be taken to the cache page ?????

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 12 10:35 pm

tronador wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
Where do you find that?
Oh yes, I'd seen that but wasn't sure why it was there. What do you do with it? Yes I know scan it but if the cache page is already open cause I'm looking at it, why do I need to scan it to be taken to the cache page ?????
You print it.
You attach it to your cache.
When someone in the field finds it and they have a smart phone, they scan it and it opens the log page (or GA Cacher).
They make a log immediately.
Same deal when hiding it again.
They can just scan the code when they drop it, meaning they never get confused as to which truck is which.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 03 December 12 11:00 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
Where do you find that?
How do I get the QR image? I screen dumped it for my latest cache. ](*,)

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 03 December 12 11:49 pm

New feature request - Moveables Inventory

I'm not expecting this for this year's race, but what I'm finding is that as I query for Bingo caches unfound by me, it's not quite so easy to determine which caches you (should) still have in your possession and in doing so get a quick way of accessing the logging page for a particular cache you have. (Along the lines of the Trackables option on t'other site) Would something like this be possible?

:-$

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 8:14 am

fluffyfish wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
Where do you find that?
Right click.
Save image as (or equivalent).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 8:19 am

quiet1_au wrote:New feature request - Moveables Inventory

I'm not expecting this for this year's race, but what I'm finding is that as I query for Bingo caches unfound by me, it's not quite so easy to determine which caches you (should) still have in your possession and in doing so get a quick way of accessing the logging page for a particular cache you have. (Along the lines of the Trackables option on t'other site) Would something like this be possible?

Pretty much comes up each year and ... no.
Well, not fully no, but not completely yes.

In order to move a moveable into your inventory you would need a secondary action which was (say) "Taken". A mere find does not tell anyone whether it was taken or left behind. The "Taken" could be done via log or via tickbox on the log page for the found or noted log.
You would then need to take another secondary action on a move to "Leave" the cache, removing it from your inventory.

The challenge we have encountered in the past is that "Taken" and "Left" log types are not handled by any GPX file reader. We're also entirely unsure of what errors will occur should we put out these two new logs. e.g. GSAK when reading the file may fail spectacularly. Your GPS may not read the file and lock up your device.

What will also happen is that someone will forget to log (or action) a "Taken", leading people to believe it's still there whereas it's not. Ditto for the "Leave". You forget to "Leave" the cache and it appears to be not there.

There is no simple solution to any of this sort of problem. It's one of those things where you need to do the work to see if you want to go looking for a cache.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 December 12 9:55 am

caughtatwork wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:New feature request - Moveables Inventory

Pretty much comes up each year and ... no.
Well, not fully no, but not completely yes.

In order to move a moveable into your inventory you would need a secondary action which was (say) "Taken". A mere find does not tell anyone whether it was taken or left behind. The "Taken" could be done via log or via tickbox on the log page for the found or noted log.
You would then need to take another secondary action on a move to "Leave" the cache, removing it from your inventory.

The challenge we have encountered in the past is that "Taken" and "Left" log types are not handled by any GPX file reader. We're also entirely unsure of what errors will occur should we put out these two new logs. e.g. GSAK when reading the file may fail spectacularly. Your GPS may not read the file and lock up your device.

What will also happen is that someone will forget to log (or action) a "Taken", leading people to believe it's still there whereas it's not. Ditto for the "Leave". You forget to "Leave" the cache and it appears to be not there.

There is no simple solution to any of this sort of problem. It's one of those things where you need to do the work to see if you want to go looking for a cache.
Not a complete solution but I find if I look at my recent logs I can usually figure it out.
Cacher Page > Details > View Logs

WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WanderingAus » 04 December 12 11:36 am

caughtatwork wrote:[quote="fluffyfish
Right click.
Save image as (or equivalent).[/quote][/quote][/quote]

When I do a Right click on a QR code I don't see 'Save image as' or similar.

I do get Copy, but that doesn't produce an image, and Print Preview produces a full cache page (including the QR Code).

Now that I've discovered (noticed? :oops: ) the QR Codes, I 'Screen Print', then copy from the screen print into my cache card (6 new ones to be hidden today, another dozen or so coming probably Friday).

Is it possible for the QR code to be larger? 76 x 76 pixels doesn't give me much to work with, as I produce my cache cards at 800 pixels wide and reduce in the print process to 6 cards to an A4.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 11:48 am

What browser are you using?

The size of 76 x 76 is a perfect pixel size for the data generated.
Any smaller or larger and you don't get perfect pixels, you get "blurry" pixels.
This affects the ability of the QR code reads to read the code quickly and easily.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 04 December 12 11:50 am

WanderingAus wrote:
Is it possible for the QR code to be larger? 76 x 76 pixels doesn't give me much to work with, as I produce my cache cards at 800 pixels wide and reduce in the print process to 6 cards to an A4.
Try this site, just paste your cache URL into the box
http://www.qrstuff.com/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 12:02 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
WanderingAus wrote:
Try this site, just paste your cache URL into the box
http://www.qrstuff.com/
The qrcode at GCA does not go to the cache page. It goes to the log page. http://geocaching.com.au/my/log/new/gannnn (where gannnn is the cache number).