Searching web site for caches by GA code

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Searching web site for caches by GA code

Post by Fuddley » 19 February 10 5:38 pm

Should entering the GA code into the search box on the GCA home page take you to the cache page? it works if I enter the cache name, but not the number.

caughtatwork

Re: Searching web site for caches by GA code

Post by caughtatwork » 19 February 10 6:59 pm

It shouldn't take you to the cache page, but it should take you to a list of matching search criteria which should include the waypoint.

http://geocaching.com.au/search/?q=ga1808
http://geocaching.com.au/search/?q=gc1cqb1

You should be able to do the same thing by entering the GA code in the box and hitting enter.

Fuddley
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 19 February 10 8:20 pm

Thanks C@W seems to be working ok now, don't know why it would not work for me earlier this afternoon #-o #-o

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 February 10 8:23 pm

When stuff like that happens I blame abnormal sunspot activity. I first started using that excuse in 1987 when I was a trainee programmer and it has served me well for the last 23 years.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 19 February 10 8:43 pm

Actually I sometimes have a similar search problem. Not often, but sometimes. I put in a GA code last night and nothing came up. It was a locationless cache I was looking for so I just used the menu item to get all of them and found the one I wanted. But now and again my search doesn't work for no apparent reason.

I suspect there are a lot of as-yet-undiscovered suns near my place that are very spotty at times :wink:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 February 10 8:55 pm

If I know the GA code I just start typing the following in the address bar of Firefox.

cache/ga

That brings down a list of addresses I have recently visited like

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1688

I then just backspace, edit the number then hit enter.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 February 10 10:11 pm

Nerdy technical explanation.

The same search box is used for GC/GA code, postcodes, co-ords, names, locations, etc, etc.

In the background we try to parse each piece of information based on what it looks like to try and return the most valid set of caches.

A postcode is 4 digits so if we see that we assume first off it's a postcode.
A set of co-ords could be S37 45.000 E144 45.000 or S37.750 E144.750 of -37.750 144.750 so we use a regex to see if it fits a pattern and is a valid set of co-ords.
A cache name might be 1925, which looks like a postcode or a GC / GCA code.
A cache called be called "Melbourne Surprise" so are you looking for caches near Melbourne or a cache called Melbourne or cache that "sounds like" Melbourne (eg. Melborne) (yes, we do sounds like matching).
We also match cacher names and forum names.

There are loads of options all squeezed into one search for ease of use and sometimes they don't work exactly as expected. We could separate out each one, but that's ugly. We like to try and keep the user interface simple where we can.

I think it's pretty accurate, but if you spot something that doesn't work after a few goes, let us know and we'll try and nut it out.

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 26 February 10 10:03 pm

I'm happy with the occasional bug for such a great search feature... much superior to 'the other' website and their bulky search.