No
10%
Maybe with some changes
6%

Total votes: 31

kennythe1st

Re: GCA Official Geocache Sticker - Comments

Post by kennythe1st » 24 January 10 2:17 pm

Curious as to why the colour might not bleed off the edge? Most commercial sticker production, including vinyl stickers proposed, includes bleed off for a smarter look at no extra cost.

I am in the printing industry (although just about to exit) so if you would like to check out further reliable, good value producers of such stickers, just email me and I will give you a shortlist of my suppliers. Typically their stickers are supplied in sheets or as tabbed singles (tab enables easier peel off).

Regards, Kenny :|

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 January 10 3:59 pm

mundoo wrote:One of the types of stickers I have purchased (geocaching.com) is on a shiny green paper and it is awful to write the cache details etc. on. Most of the pens I use either won't write on it or the ink rubs off.
I'd hazard a guess that we're going to encounter similar issues depending on the type of pen you use.

The stickers are plastic coated to maximise wear in the elements. As such you need to use a type of pen such as a permanent marker (like a texta, sharpie or CD marker). You then need to leave it to dry thoroughly.

The trouble is that without the plastic coating, the stickers get wet and fall apart. With plastic coating they take some persistence to write on.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 January 10 4:03 pm

kennythe1st wrote:Curious as to why the colour might not bleed off the edge? Most commercial sticker production, including vinyl stickers proposed, includes bleed off for a smarter look at no extra cost.

I am in the printing industry (although just about to exit) so if you would like to check out further reliable, good value producers of such stickers, just email me and I will give you a shortlist of my suppliers. Typically their stickers are supplied in sheets or as tabbed singles (tab enables easier peel off).

Regards, Kenny :|
As I said, I'm not sure.
This is what they say:
BLEED AREA

* For Bumper Stickers please add 2mm excess bleed on each side of your artwork past the trim edge of your design. ie: A 51 x 102mm sticker canvas should be 55 x 106mm including bleed (For cutting purposes).

* For Paper Labels, Foil Labels please add 3mm excess bleed on each side of your artwork past the trim edge of your design. ie: A 55 x 90mm sticker canvas should be 61 x 96mm including bleed (For cutting purposes).

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 24 January 10 6:38 pm

Great idea all up, I'd buy some. The idea of being able to cut them down is great too. I always use a permanent marker on the plastic coated stickers and it seems to last well. Congrats C@W and/or whoever is thinking up all these ideas on fund raising to keep our site free to all users :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 February 10 9:19 am

Well, I've experimented with using different types of markers on a couple of window stickers (which are plastic coated) and after exposure to the sun and water (I hosed them down), the markings all fail spectacularly :-(

The alternative is to get paper stickers and a piece of clear "contact" cut to the same size. Then you write on the sticker, place the contact on the top, then stick it all down.

I think that's sucky though.

Not sure if we'll proceed with this idea.

nog3
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by nog3 » 02 February 10 9:30 am

The other alternative for marking the caches is to use a decent labeller that prints onto clear tape and stick that over the top of hte plastic sticker.

Cleaner and easier to read, but I'm not sure of the longevity of the clear tape.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 02 February 10 10:01 am

We already use stickers from the GC shops to put on the caches and they seem ok. They must be plastic coated and have the same issues surely. So maybe you're being a bit unrealistic with your expectations.

Anyway, I often put mine on the inside of the lid so it's not exposed to sun or rain.

A permanent marker shouldn't wash off, seems strange as I have to get out the eucalyptus oil to remove permanent marker writing off plastic bags.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 02 February 10 12:48 pm

by caughtatwork
BLEED AREA

* For Bumper Stickers please add 2mm excess bleed on each side of your artwork past the trim edge of your design. ie: A 51 x 102mm sticker canvas should be 55 x 106mm including bleed (For cutting purposes).

* For Paper Labels, Foil Labels please add 3mm excess bleed on each side of your artwork past the trim edge of your design. ie: A 55 x 90mm sticker canvas should be 61 x 96mm including bleed (For cutting purposes).
OK, that's fine. In essence, the provision of bleed means there will be no white space showing at the edge of the stickers after trimming.

The bleed area is the inked area past the trimming edge of the sticker so that even allowing for movement during printing and trimming, there will be no unwanted white edge left. The term bleed is perhaps best understood if you think of how blood spreads through a material - so ink spreads over (and depending upon the permeability) into the substrate but unlike blood it enables a better final result in so doing :wink:

The difference in bleed size is due to the compounding inaccuracy of a specific sequence of devices used in the particular print process. At a minimum, press and trimmer of some kind. A simple example - offset printing is more accurate than digital.

You will usually be required to place trim marks outside the trim area or in the case of a non-rectangular shape you may be required to provide a 2nd artwork with the shape shown - be careful to name and mark it as a 'positional' as they might be printed when not so marked.

Regards, Kenny

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 February 10 12:58 pm

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 23 March 10 5:45 pm

:)
Any further thoughts on printing some of these labels? I would most definitely use them.
:)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 March 10 6:07 pm

My testing showed that the writing wouldn't stand up under the sun and rain, so I haven't pursued them.