My Routes

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
kennythe1st

My Routes

Post by kennythe1st » 18 January 10 9:04 pm

In Google Maps I tried creating a route that followed an unmarked trail. However, editing the road based track to reflect the trail resulted in a mess.

My question is; does the KML file saved from Google Map contain just the track data?

If so then it seems I could create the trail in my Memory Map or OziExplorer (or GPSr it), save a MMO or GPX file and use GPSUtility to translate to a KML file. Then using that KML file when creating My Route should work just fine?

Regards, Kenny :?:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: My Routes

Post by CraigRat » 18 January 10 9:14 pm

Ozi will let you save as KML, or at worst export to Google earth and then you save as kml.

I just traced a route in Google earth using the 'path' tool and saved that as a kml and imported it ok.

In short: Anything that saves a path as a kml SHOULD work ok!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 January 10 9:34 pm

To test, create a normal road path and then your track. Open them both up and if they look like the have the same XML attributes they should work.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 19 January 10 2:26 pm

Ah, I see I should have tried Google Earth as it has a Path tool whereas I couldn't find such a tool in Google Maps.

Thanks, Kenny :-"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 January 10 2:52 pm

If you want to test it before you hit the server, send it to me and I'll run it up on my dev machine. That will prove one way or the other with jno production impact.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 22 January 10 1:22 pm

No need. Works beautifully. I took a Magellan .PLT file from a ride on the Dry Diggings Trail a few years ago, used GPSUtility http://www.gpsu.co.uk to convert to .KML and the result in Google Maps is great. Particularly like the blue shadow that shows the coverage of the area selected each side of the route.

Thanks. =D>