OpenStreetMap - free maps for the whole world

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Justcameron
400 or more spectacular views seen

OpenStreetMap - free maps for the whole world

Post by Justcameron » 25 September 07 7:12 am

In layman's terms, OpenStreetMap is like Wikipedia for maps. Anyone can edit it, and the data is free.

There's tools to convert the OSM data to .img (the file format used by Garmin GPS units and Mapsource) but it's complicated and not within the realms of most users.

Fortunately for us, there's a guy who's hosting the .img files on his website (because the data is under a free license, he can do that :)) for all the Australian states and he updates them weekly. Goes by the name of Stevez.

I haven't yet loaded them onto a GPS as only my girlfriend's has mapping (Sendmap is the software here I think) but I was able to use a program called M3 to load the .img files into mapsource (I hear there are lots of different programs to do this.) Had to rename the .img files though (details on gpsaustralia forums.)

For anyone else who wants to load the .img files into mapsource and doesn't yet have an application for it, M3 unfortunately requires you to register for an account on the maker's forums before you're able to download it - this is free and requires only a couple of minutes and a valid email address, but it's a bit of a pain. The forum thread is here. If anyone can recommend a similar, easy to use, free product, I'd be happy to try it out.

So as you'll see when you get a look, there is most likely data missing from your local area. Perhaps you're like me and the first time you look at it, your city only has some major roads filled in. Perhaps you live somewhere rural and there's nothing at all. Or perhaps you notice that your whole neighbourhood is marked, but your street is misspelled. No matter how much or little data there is around your place, you can contribute to OSM to improve it.

There's a few ways to get involved, but one that's especially easy for Geocachers is to upload their GPS traces.

Get your gps to trace your route when you go out caching and then upload it to the website. If you really want to contribute, you can then draw "ways" over it (a way is a specific path, for instance a highway or a cycle path or a walking track.) You can then tag the ways so they show up on the actual map. Tags identify what sort of track you were travelling on, and there are tags for loads of different things, with more being added all the time. highway=primary, highway=residential, waterway=river, railway=rail, railway=tram, are some of the more common ones, but there are dozens more.

If, however, you don't want to do that, just uploading your track and making it publicly viewable is a great contribution - someone else can come along later (perhaps someone without a GPS, but who knows the area) and create and tag the ways.

There's lots of other stuff that needs doing too, read the Get Involved page I linked above.

Unfortunately their wiki isn't the best (eg. quite a bit of old information, needs tidying/refining in places) and it's quite a steep learning curve to start mapping, but they have an IRC channel which generally has helpful people hanging around, or you can ask me and I'll try to find an answer for you (I've only been interested in OSM for about a week though...)

So yeah, that's my rather long introduction... if you have any queries, I'd be happy to (attempt to) answer them.

Note: Not sure if this belongs here or in General Chit-Chat (as I'm new here.) If a moderator could please move it if it's in the wrong place, that would be appreciated.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 27 September 07 11:00 pm

so basically at the minimum we drive around roads that arent mapped which by my untrained eye you can see on the map on there home page:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

is this correct?

and can I view the ".img" files using mapsource or some other s/w?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 27 September 07 11:05 pm

mtrax wrote:so basically at the minimum we drive around roads that arent mapped which by my untrained eye you can see on the map on there home page:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

is this correct?

and can I view the ".img" files using mapsource or some other s/w?
If they can be loaded in the gps, mapsource should be able to display them as well as load them to a gps.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 27 September 07 11:15 pm

I tried and no luck files are here==>
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/stevez/OSM/download.html

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 4:11 am

What did you try, and can you further describe the problems you had?

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 28 September 07 7:42 am

just wanted to browse the img file using mapsource, as I don't have a mapping GPSr ...yet.
So I have just attempted to open img file with mapsource so far.

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 7:58 am

mtrax wrote:just wanted to browse the img file using mapsource, as I don't have a mapping GPSr ...yet.
Mapsource doesn't recognise .img files, you have to twiddle it a bit. Read this bit again carefully:
Justcameron wrote:I was able to use a program called M3 to load the .img files into mapsource (I hear there are lots of different programs to do this.) Had to rename the .img files though (details on gpsaustralia forums.)

For anyone else who wants to load the .img files into mapsource and doesn't yet have an application for it, M3 unfortunately requires you to register for an account on the maker's forums before you're able to download it - this is free and requires only a couple of minutes and a valid email address, but it's a bit of a pain. The forum thread is here.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 28 September 07 8:51 am

Justcameron wrote:
mtrax wrote:just wanted to browse the img file using mapsource, as I don't have a mapping GPSr ...yet.
Mapsource doesn't recognise .img files, you have to twiddle it a bit. Read this bit again carefully:
Justcameron wrote:I was able to use a program called M3 to load the .img files into mapsource (I hear there are lots of different programs to do this.) Had to rename the .img files though (details on gpsaustralia forums.)

For anyone else who wants to load the .img files into mapsource and doesn't yet have an application for it, M3 unfortunately requires you to register for an account on the maker's forums before you're able to download it - this is free and requires only a couple of minutes and a valid email address, but it's a bit of a pain. The forum thread is here.
I've made the required index files for Mapsource and I still CAN NOT get them to work in Mapsource. The problem seem to be when Mapsource stops using the index map and starts using the .img that Mapsource crashers. If anyone can get them to work let me know as I would like to know how you did it.

Dooghan

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 8:54 am

Dooghan: Which .img file/s are you using, which version of mapsource, what operating sytem? You might pass on your troubles on to Stevez.

By the way, if you just want to see what the map looks like in your area, you can just use the website instead - much easier!

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 9:08 am

• Download file (I've done it with both SA and Qld)
  • Unzip
  • Rename with name from gpsaustralia thread.
  • Open M3. Click new, Select map file, click create mapset.
  • Open Mapsource, select new mapset from dropdown list.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 28 September 07 9:38 am

thanks for assist.. probably missed that information due to brain not in gear due to late night work.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 28 September 07 11:00 am

Justcameron wrote:Dooghan: Which .img file/s are you using, which version of mapsource, what operating sytem? You might pass on your troubles on to Stevez.
already did but I've learnt a little bit more which I will go back and report.
Justcameron wrote:By the way, if you just want to see what the map looks like in your area, you can just use the website instead - much easier!
Before you say I need to add some roads, I already have. It's just the map is only updated once a week (wednesday)

Justcameron wrote: * Download file (I've done it with both SA and Qld)
* Unzip
* Rename with name from gpsaustralia thread.
* Open M3. Click new, Select map file, click create mapset.
* Open Mapsource, select new mapset from dropdown list.
M3 uses cGPSMapper to make the index files for Mapsource. I used cGPSMapper (not M3) to make the index that I made. But I did try M3 in any case and it still didn't work

Dooghan

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 11:10 am

The .img files are only updated once a week too.

If you go to http://informationfreeway.org/, go to your area, zoom to zoom level 12, then ctrl+click on an outlined square, you can manually request re-renders of tiles in your area. There's a system called tiles@home - ditributed computing, similar to folding@home, seti@home, etc. - which will then render your tile/s. This takes a variable amount of time (usually between an hour and a day.) You can view these tiles on informationfreeway.org by clicking the + in the top right hand corner and selecting "tiles@home" or on openstreetmap.org by clicking the plus in the top right and selecting "Osmarender"

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 28 September 07 1:07 pm

ran the M3 program which creates the mapsets using NSW as my mapset
and then open Mapsource and it shows maps but when I zoom it crashes

Note when I using a mapset name of "NSW Openstreet" mapsource crashes straight away.. now it just crashes when I zoom

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 28 September 07 1:10 pm

I called my mapsets OSM and OSM-QLD...