Maintaining, A standard.

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 July 07 10:19 am

GC or GCA caches?

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=8285
This thread discusses the very suggestion you are making for GCA caches. We are not yet at an agreed point, so let the debate continue for a while.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 15 July 07 12:17 pm

Some of our fellow geocachers wanted a site that didn't impose nasty things like guidelines and rules upon them, so in theory, you can place a cache and never need maintain it...

So do we now need a maintenance guideline? Where does it go from there? A placement guideline... cache saturation, moveables etc etc....

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 15 July 07 1:30 pm

Really a maintenance rule would not be so bad BUT !

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 15 July 07 3:12 pm

Some geocachers who list on the gc.com site are very tardy when it comes to maintenance with their cachers there... Is having a maintenance guideline going to make a difference to GCA?

I doubt it......

Personally I think the great expriement with GCA is a failure.

So much so that if I, in future, decide to place another cache it will be back on the GC site. Something to be said for guidelines I suppose, even if I do disagree with the way it is run.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 July 07 10:06 pm

The thread I linked to would not be a guideline but an automated feature of the site to disable and then archived apparently abandoned caches.

It's an interesting discussion, really.

I could go in a temp disable or archive all those caches, but should I?

That's what the senate is set up for. There are no formal senators so it would be the reigning opinion of those who actively seek and hide at GCA to make the call.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 19 August 07 5:38 pm

It might be harsh but that is how I feel about it.

As for cache archival/removal/adoption, I am slowly doing the rounds retriving those caches that I no longer want out there. It will take time but the list is decreasing. Any cache that I have earmarked for removal has either been disabled or archived. I was aiming for completion of those by the end of July but a little thing call life got in the way.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Surely the community is responsible?

Post by roundcircle » 19 August 07 9:19 pm

I don't see how GCA is different to GC when it come to cache maintenance. Let me give two examples.
<p>
"Chefs Break" Haymarket, NSW By maty061 on Thursday 20 April 2006. Waypoint GCVJA2.
<br>
This has had one find since 20th of March. And that was the sole Australian find of an Alaskan who makes no comment about being in Oz, and who logged a TB there two weeks earlier, so seems a bit sus to me. There have been ten DNF's and one formal request for a check. But today it's still listed as available.
<p>
Around the corner is "8 white trees" Broadway, NSW
By The Crazyheads on Thursday 5 October 2006. Waypoint GA0588

<br>
This had 5 DNF's since October, and two requests for checks, when I visited in July. I logged an SBA, and two weeks later the cache was archived.
<p>
So which site is in better shape?
<p>
I thought that the GCA site was owned by the community that use it. So surely the community is responsible for keeping it clean.