WAAS Enable in Australia?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

WAAS Enable in Australia?

Post by Aushiker » 21 January 05 8:11 pm

Hi

A seller on eBay is suggesting partial enablement of WAAS in Australia will full availablility later this year.

Can anyone verify this claim?

Andrew

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 21 January 05 9:32 pm

WAASupppp!

Dunno - just like to "WAASupppp".

Bronze.

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 21 January 05 11:36 pm

Well one could suggest "politely" they wouldn't have a clue what they are talking about. By the end of this year :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that is a joke.

Just where does some of these people get this garbage :?:

Cheers, Kerry.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 22 January 05 2:53 am

I heard the new Jap WAAS bird is really gonna screw up GPS's here if they have WAAS enabled.

For anyone with a Magellan Meridian series, use the secret menu to turn it off, its code 03, 'Off Off Off'.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 22 January 05 4:54 am

G'day,
<p>
I'm over in the US at the moment, and have the advantage of WAAS averaging. I regularly get EPEs of 2m and 3m. It'd be great to get it in Oz.
<p>
However, I don't think we'll be seeing it here too soon. Here is what the Garmin web site says about WAAS:
<p>
WAAS consists of approximately 25 ground reference stations positioned across the United States that monitor GPS satellite data. Two master stations, located on either coast, collect data from the reference stations and create a GPS correction message. This correction accounts for GPS satellite orbit and clock drift plus signal delays caused by the atmosphere and ionosphere. The corrected differential message is then broadcast through one of two geostationary satellites, or satellites with a fixed position over the equator. The information is compatible with the basic GPS signal structure, which means any WAAS-enabled GPS receiver can read the signal.
<p>
So, I'm not sure what Lt Sniper means when he says: "new Jap WAAS bird" :?:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 22 January 05 9:53 am

dak's Emu Mob wrote:G'day,
It's not a "WAAS bird" (as such) but a small scale WADGPS system (MSAS) that gives coverage of Japan and some surrounding islands using the MTSAT satellite and ground stations in Japan.

This was the problem with systems like WAAS before some of the receivers were encoded to ignore corrections unless one was actually in the ground footprint (of groundstations) as using these systems outside the footprint can/did actually degrade the accuracy, quite considerably.

WAAS (US), EGNOS (Europe), MSAS (Japan), SNAS (China) are simply all Wide Area Differential GPS but in Oz the cost, the size of the network doesn't justify the need.

Even funding and the expectations of WAAS has been down graded as WAAS simply doesn't do what it was supposed to do.

WAAS (and similar systems) are really very much over rated.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 22 January 05 12:07 pm

Kerry wrote:
dak's Emu Mob wrote:G'day,
It's not a "WAAS bird" (as such) but a small scale WADGPS system (MSAS) that gives coverage of Japan and some surrounding islands using the MTSAT satellite and ground stations in Japan
I wasnÂ’t sure about it, someone told me they had something like WAAS and that if your GPS could 'see' it then it would put your position out partially because it would only be accurate in Japan. I said new Jap (Japanese, had to use the dictionary since I didnÂ’t know how to spell it) WAAS bird because thatÂ’s what I thought it was.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 24 January 05 10:21 am

The problem in Oz is the lack of ground stations providing correction information. If you have good line of sight to the Northern horizon you can probably pick up the signal, but because we are so far away from the nearest ground station the signal doesn't help much. (e.g. With my eTrex Venture with "WAAS" turned on, accuracy goes out to +/- 150m, but with it turned off I can get +/- 5m.)

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 24 January 05 6:37 pm

Ebenezer, And the accuracy you describe is about spot on and in reality looks something like this.

Cheers, Kerry.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 24 January 05 9:33 pm

I managed to lock onto 2 WAAS birds eventually with the Foretrex while in Darwin last year. Just wanted to see if I could. Never tried finding anything with it enabled though. Should have done the experiment, mark a known spot like my hotel then turned it on and seen what happened.

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 25 January 05 8:53 am

From Darwin one would not be able to see the 2 "WAAS" geo-sationary satellites. You would see 1 of them being POR sitting over the Pacific at about 176E but certainly would not see AOR-W positioned over Brazil at about 54W as it would be well below the horizon.

With a lock on 2 they would have probably been POR (WAAS PRN134) and IOR-E (EGNOS PRN131 @ 64E) and that should have consfused the receiver no ends.

Cheers, Kerry.