Lonely Caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Lonely Caches

Post by calumphing_four » 14 April 08 5:41 pm

I was reading the general topic on a cache unfound for 1817 days (and growing) and then started to think whether a new list could be added to the state dashboards showing caches that haven't been found for awhile.
Given the current formatting, 3 columns would be needed, and perhaps they could be split:
a) <50 CBD centre
b) <150 CBD Centre and
c) >150
with each list showing the top 5.

I know I can do this in GSAK and looking at SA I feel very tempted to just take off for the day and head to the Coorong for We Want You and Tilley Swamp.

I must admit the lure of finding a cache in those lists could be more satisfying than a FTF.
What do others think?

Cheers

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 April 08 7:54 pm

Or, you could do this.

http://geocaching.com.au/caches/availab ... sort=Found

:D

Never mind me. Hard day at work. Please discuss.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 14 April 08 8:30 pm

I had a thread running in the Victorian section last year where I posted the 4 or 5 closest to Melbourne that hadn't been found for over a year. It was interesting (to me anyway) and seemed to trigger a mini-run on a couple of them. But also got a "warm" discussion going on one particular cache. :roll:

Anyway, my last list was Dec 07 so about time I posted another one.

As for adding it long unfound to the dashboard, I suppose I'd like any unfound caches to show but not sure about caches that haven't been found for a while.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 April 08 8:44 pm

There are 35 unfound caches in Victoria.
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/availab ... sort=found

A single list is very cluttering as part of the current dashboard as it ends up a real scroller.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Re: Lonely Caches

Post by Richary » 14 April 08 9:45 pm

calumphing_four wrote: Tilley Swamp.
Tilley Swamp being one of mine is a problem. Last time I was there the gates were locked from the southern side, not sure about the northern entrance from Salt Creek which is the easier way in anyway. If it is locked from there it would be about 2km from memory each way to the cache. Never been able to find out useful info from NPWS about whether that area is still accessible.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Re: Lonely Caches

Post by setsujoku » 14 April 08 11:02 pm

richary wrote:
calumphing_four wrote: Tilley Swamp.
Tilley Swamp being one of mine is a problem. Last time I was there the gates were locked from the southern side, not sure about the northern entrance from Salt Creek which is the easier way in anyway. If it is locked from there it would be about 2km from memory each way to the cache. Never been able to find out useful info from NPWS about whether that area is still accessible.
I'm only going from memory here, but i don't think there was a gate the way that we went in. I might be wrong, as we did a lot of caches on that trip, and it was a long time ago, but either way, its a great place to go.

I can remember that you just need to follow the track along past wombats, that's all

Richary

Post by Richary » 15 April 08 9:53 pm

When I placed it had done the run before on a 4WD club trip. I think there was a gate, but it was a standard gate you often find on those remote national park areas just to stop stock etc wandering in. No padlocks or anything. I placed it a bit later and came in through the north and out the south side.

About 16 months ago attempted to come in from the south side to find the gate their locked on the way back from Kingston SE. There was another 4WD club group there and they seemed to have a key so maybe it is organised access only?