GCA 2.01 released

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

GCA 2.01 released

Post by ideology » 17 November 06 8:27 am

hi all,

we've just pressed the big red button on a bug(fix) release. (we put the fix in brackets because we might have accidentally introduced some new bugs!)

the key changes are:

c@w
- search: fixed the case sensitivity on waypoint searches, fixed found and owned icons, changed description text to be more meaningful
- admin: added routine to clean up unapproved members who registered more than a month ago (anti spam)
- future caches: fixed bug stopping future caches being announced in the daily emails

craigrat
- homepage: changed intro text, changed map to go to all caches
- header/footer: added new gallery link to header, updated the footer
- tags: moved tags higher on the page, added text for when there are no tags, modified to work by comma separation
- login: removed cookie display on login page

i!
- links: added rel='nofollow' to some external links (anti spam)
- xml: removed xml/googleearth: use /caches/available.kml link on homepage instead. (warning: some users still using xml/googleearth so they'll need to migrate)
- housekeeping: general code tidying & commenting

riblit
- graphics: fixed some drop shadow html verification bugs
- sidebar: fixed the right column
- google-analytics: added code so we can understand how the site is being used
- character translations: moved these into separate file so his IDE doesn't get indigestion
- housekeeping: added comments to mobile and svn properties to all

zactyl has beta tested it and found some bugs:
- homepage: looks bad on narrow screen
- tags: need a space after commas

craigrat has since done a bit of work on the homepage, but it depends on screen size, so we figured we'd get feedback from lots of people on it.

behind the scenes we have a new publishing process which allows version control of each file moving into production. this might have introduced a few hiccups here and there, so we hope to resolve those over the next few days. once we get the new publishing process working, individual developers will have far more control over their work, being able to easily move their work in (and out!) of production.

please let us know how it goes.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 17 November 06 8:48 am

Nice work guys, though i 've noticed that Tags aren't being populated as a public list even though they exist on the individual cache pages.

Nice idea on the homepage to add the free services offered :P

mm

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 November 06 8:57 am

Map Monkey wrote:Nice work guys, though i 've noticed that Tags aren't being populated as a public list even though they exist on the individual cache pages.
Ouch... I'll look into that one ASAP

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 17 November 06 10:49 am

Tags looking good on the cache page! :D
The list of public tags when doing a tag search doesn't have any commas.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 17 November 06 11:05 am

The changes look great guys. 8)

The site is certainly a lot different to the original one.

There are a couple of things that I have noticed.

1. The font on the bottom line of the page footer on the page is very hard to read. Possibly a credits list to the hard workers would be appropriate as well.

2. Is it possible to get a "Site" Icon against the caches on the cache listings to indicate which site the cache is listed on?

3. I regularly (daily) run a GPX import of logs and find after I hit the "Import" button and then while waiting for the program to run, move the pointer over the menu tabs that the import program appears to restart. Maybe the menus should be turned off while the import is in progress.

I'm waiting for the third red button to get the stats graphs back again.. :wink:

Well done for a great effort guys.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 November 06 12:07 pm

Button has been pushed.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 November 06 12:22 pm

crew 153 wrote: 2. Is it possible to get a "Site" Icon against the caches on the cache listings to indicate which site the cache is listed on?
Can you please add this to the wiki development list and we'll look at it for the next major release.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 November 06 12:26 pm

crew 153 wrote: 2. Is it possible to get a "Site" Icon against the caches on the cache listings to indicate which site the cache is listed on?
Space is at a premium on the cache listing page. We would like to wait until we have a better idea of the screen resolutions being used before adding to the width.
3. I regularly (daily) run a GPX import of logs and find after I hit the "Import" button and then while waiting for the program to run, move the pointer over the menu tabs that the import program appears to restart. Maybe the menus should be turned off while the import is in progress.
Perhaps you shouldn't fiddle with your mouse while importing.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 18 November 06 6:17 am

Again looking good and thanks for the stats back.I can nerd out again.

The resulting list from the ACT link had glasses next to a number of caches. As far as I could see I was only actually watching one cache. Some have been recommendations by me and some have been FTF/FDF. Not sure if this is a bug or intended.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 November 06 7:32 am

zactyl wrote:Tags looking good on the cache page! :D
The list of public tags when doing a tag search doesn't have any commas.
Fixed, I'll talk to the presser of the button about getting it pushed thru to the main site

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 18 November 06 8:42 pm

On the front page can the drop down tabs be made operable before the page finishes loading. On previous versions one could press stop with a part loaded page then use the tab drop downs but not anymore.

Or is that an ie5.5 thing :oops:

The front page blerb looks good given what I'v seen so far. :wink:
riblit wrote:We would like to wait until we have a better idea of the screen resolutions being used before adding to the width.
Good point. 800 x 600 here. Have tryed higher but went back.

:idea: Would it be an idea to split the "Free services offered" into 2 colums so as to shorten the overall page height?