first finder of gca! [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

first finder of gca! [closed]

Post by ideology » 01 February 05 8:11 pm

we got a nice surprise today to find that wyoming wombats is the first finder on geocaching australia!

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0089

swampy was itching to put out a cache so hid one and listed it no gca.
riblit was with or near swampy and got the coords directly from swampy and logged it as normal.

but the cool bit was that wyoming wombats must have seen the listing on gca, hunted the cache and logged it, all through the website

thanks swampy and wyoming wombats for putting a smile on our face tonight and congrats wyoming wombats for being the first finder on gca!
Last edited by ideology on 07 October 05 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: first finder of gca!

Post by riblit » 01 February 05 9:55 pm

ideology wrote:we got a nice surprise today to find that wyoming wombats is the first finder on geocaching australia!

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0089

swampy was itching to put out a cache so hid one and listed it no gca.
riblit was with or near swampy and got the coords directly from swampy and logged it as normal.

but the cool bit was that wyoming wombats must have seen the listing on gca, hunted the cache and logged it, all through the website

thanks swampy and wyoming wombats for putting a smile on our face tonight and congrats wyoming wombats for being the first finder on gca!
Congratulations to the Wyoming Wombats , it's good to know someone checks the cache listings.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 February 05 10:04 pm

Yes, that brought a smile to my dial as well. Nice work WW :D

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 01 February 05 11:02 pm

Actually the first find was last night (31st)<p>Belken found Blair Witch<p>
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0088

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 02 February 05 6:12 am

ok. The WA team of Belken have the honour.... Well done to both teams anyway :D its nice to have a find chalked up against the new caches on the aussie site after all the effort the site admin have gone to. Well done to all :D :D

ideology

Post by ideology » 02 February 05 7:28 am

oops! sorry! congratulations belken!

how exciting! it looks like the cache listings are now of and running!

thanks to all!

Scout

Post by Scout » 03 February 05 5:13 am

Congratulations to geocaching.com.au on your launch and good luck.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 February 05 9:17 am

TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:...
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0088
That a good looking listing TLC, and congratulations to belken.

belken

Post by belken » 03 February 05 10:10 am

If we had known that the find was going to be of some historical significance then we may have thought about our log comments more.

We would just say that this site forms the front end for all our caching activities. We are new to the game but so far everything we have needed has been available through this site. Albeit whilst it is changing and us having to look around.

Our visit to the secondary site is through this site where get the description, log our visits and get out. Looking at logs finding caches is all done on the GCA site. Must admit I didn't place much significance on Blair Witch only that we recognised it was new, all the info was on the screen, we enjoyed the TLC caches we had done and when we went to log it we hadn't set ourselves up properly.

Keep up the good work

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 February 05 10:57 am

I spotted Blair Witch a couple of days ago and assumed it was somehow waiting to be listed/approved.

Now upon looking on the regular site I notice it still isnt listed there. Does this mean that some caches will now be listed in one spot and not the other?

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 03 February 05 11:02 am

Yes thats right, you now have, GCA caches and GC.COM caches

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 05 11:07 am

gc.com based caches will be listed on gca as a convenience so you can see all caches in one place. The opposite does not happen for gca based caches.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 February 05 12:16 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Yes thats right, you now have, GCA caches and GC.COM caches
So does that mean that now that I have figured out how to store all of the caches in Palm - I STILL have to carry reams of paper from the GCA site? I am thinking that by the time we next visit Perth there will be quite a few more listed on the new site. :lol: :lol:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 05 12:20 pm

Not at all. I'm not sure what your workflow consists of, but you can get GPX files from gca. Unfortunately the documentation is a bit scattered at the moment, but have a look through this forum, especially the What's New announcement post:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2076

If that doesn't work for you, let us know how you get gc.com listings into your PDA.

- Rog

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 February 05 12:31 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Not at all. I'm not sure what your workflow consists of, but you can get GPX files from gca. Unfortunately the documentation is a bit scattered at the moment, but have a look through this forum, especially the What's New announcement post:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2076

If that doesn't work for you, let us know how you get gc.com listings into your PDA.

- Rog
Thanks - I have plenty of time before our next trip "south" as we have only just returned from 5 weeks down there :)

I am learning by playing with my (my husbands) Palm M515 - and I arent really up with the tech talk. I get my info through GC - premium member queries. Then I save, open in GSAK - generate HMTL - grab with ISILO X and pass to the Palm which then shows the pages as I would view on the home PC!!! Pretty cleaver, especially for me :lol: :lol: :lol: a lot of playing got me there and at last it seems to work. It was absolutely fantastic on our last trip - I could even read the last 5 logs. AND no reams of paper to scour through. :)