Puzzle and multi cache coordinates

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Puzzle and multi cache coordinates

Post by Goldenwattle » 19 October 16 6:36 pm

Is there a way to add worked out coordinates for GA caches, as there are for GC caches?

caughtatwork

Re: Puzzle and multi cache coordinates

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 16 7:57 pm

Sorry, not at this time.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 19 October 16 8:02 pm

For a note perhaps then?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 October 16 9:03 am

This is on our development list (as of today, I thought it was already there).
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Geoc ... pment_List

To give you some insight, we get a lat and lon directly from the geocache listing for display everywhere. In order to change to a corrected co-ordinate list we would need to change every place that we use a lat and lon to get it from a separate table for use. This is not a hard issue, it's just a very large issue to handle as you can imaging, lat and lon are used everywhere in the site and we have some technical debt that we need to address to make this happen.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 20 October 16 10:32 am

Even just somewhere where we could write a note about the cache that was only seen by the user would be helpful, even if the coordinates can't be changed. As well as other notes, the coordinates could be noted there. :)

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 16 November 16 3:19 pm

I do all my updated coords in GSAK. That might be a solution for you?

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 19 December 16 12:55 am

Luckyl10n wrote:I do all my updated coords in GSAK. That might be a solution for you?
I hear about GSAK, but I don't know anything about it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 December 16 8:05 am

http://gsak.net/
The best geocaching tool next to the GCA website :-)

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 19 December 16 11:47 am

I take it this is downloaded to the Garmin...or is this to the computer?

Some of the features mentioned. My Garmin can already send/receive waypoints to/from another GPSr, and it mentions getting Google maps. How about little off-road paths and tracks, which Google doesn't have. Will I lose this feature that my Garmin has now with OpenStreetMap? My Garmin etrex 30 screen is also very small, and how will that be with more complicated Google maps? Are all features of GSAK compulsory, or can I pick and choose? It is questions like this that have me confused about this.

What I have been told about the advantage of GSAK is that I can stitch together many bulk loads and this will work. Is this so? That's the only advantage I can see at present.

Also, how much does it cost? "You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program ( Note: PayPal will now accept credit cards directly - you DON'T have to set up a PayPal account.) ."

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 20 December 16 8:07 am

GSAK runs on your computer and uses Google Maps there, it does not load them onto your GPSr and doesn't affect the maps you have on it. It can load caches to your GPSr in bulk rather than one at a time and within GSAK you can filter and select which ones you want to load (or don't load).

I cant recall how much it cost (not much from memory >$40) and you only have to re-pay if there is a major upgrade undertaken. In my 8 years using GSAK I have only had to re-pay once.

GSAK can do many things, most beyond me and I don't use them, but especially when travelling it is invaluable for loading the caches of your destination as a group before you go (once you have done the PQ and uploaded to GSAK). You can then remove them again from the GPSr by deleting the file via your PC.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 December 16 9:17 pm

I have been using GSAK since the early days, but of course back then we didn't have smartphones with maps (or GPSrs with maps) and it was easy to use GSAK to have all the local/state caches loaded on the laptop so you didn't have to plan where you were going in advance and print out all the notes in advance. Of course things have changed and I am pretty much just an iPhone cacher these days, only pulling out the real GPSr on special occasions.

But I still find GSAK useful, for example pulling up a list of locationless caches from GCA I could easily go through and work out if I could meet the spell locationless challenge. I needed one more O so found a locationless I could claim a couple of streets away from where I am staying to get that one. Yes I could also do that via queries on the GCA website, but it was nice to have it all with me. It also means if for whatever reason I don't have a data connection I can still look things up.

I also like to keep a copy of caches I have found across both GCA and GC reasonably current, that way I can quickly look on the map where I have been and it is recorded in case either site ever decides to bite the dust like Opencaching did.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 23 December 16 9:02 pm

I would rather have somewhere on the page to write a note, rather than use GSAK to record corrected coordinates.

Sometimes the solution you get to a puzzle involves more than just the coordinates, eg the solution may also give you the combination you need to open a lock. The ability to add a personal note would be useful.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 23 December 16 9:36 pm

Toriaz wrote:I would rather have somewhere on the page to write a note, rather than use GSAK to record corrected coordinates.

Sometimes the solution you get to a puzzle involves more than just the coordinates, eg the solution may also give you the combination you need to open a lock. The ability to add a personal note would be useful.
GSAK has the ability to add user notes specific to individual geocaches, and even add the user note to the first log when exporting to your GPSr.

GSAK really is a Swiss Army Knife for geocaching.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 24 December 16 7:37 pm

J_&_J wrote:
Toriaz wrote:I would rather have somewhere on the page to write a note, rather than use GSAK to record corrected coordinates.

GSAK has the ability to add user notes specific to individual geocaches, and even add the user note to the first log when exporting to your GPSr.

GSAK really is a Swiss Army Knife for geocaching.

I am well aware of what GSAK can do. I would still prefer to have the ability to write notes on a cache page rather than on a 3rd party application.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 09 February 17 1:37 pm

Do you have the super power to access the final coordinates of an old archived .au multicache that the 2 waypoints have been long lost from? Specifically, http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0066?