Feature Request - mass tagging

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Feature Request - mass tagging

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 16 8:45 am

Laighside Legends wrote:Side issue: did we lose some existing tags during the site layout change? It seems all the "2014 sa cache awards" tagged caches have been 'untagged'. Not a big deal - just wondering what happened?
Most likely they got tidied as part of the great bullshit hashtag purging. You can use a hashtag #tagword in your logs to tag caches. With people tagging Find #1 and Find #1256 these were all rubbish and useless tags. So they got tidied. Anything that is a number is now ignored, so anything that had a number is likely gone. HTML style tags were already ignored so colours were not an issue.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 16 8:54 am

My design thought at the moment is to use the CSV import function we have where you can upload you FTF and planned caches and your rating, etc, etc.

With this it would be a simple case of two columns. Code. Tag. You use whatever external tool you want to identify the caches. Then you add your tag in column 2. We update the cache with your tag. You screw it up, you fix them manually. That way it fits with the general architecture of data imports (en masse) and constrains our code base to a few functions.

I wouldn't use a "PT" tag. I would name the series. e.g. Geelong to Queenscliff Rail Trail may be G2QRT or just G2Q. Once you spot the tag, you can use the tag to find all the caches.

Identification of the caches will not be our issue. If will be up to you to identify. Of course, once identified and tagged everyone can use the tags.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 10 March 16 11:15 am

caughtatwork wrote:My design thought at the moment is to use the CSV import function we have where you can upload you FTF and planned caches and your rating, etc, etc.

With this it would be a simple case of two columns. Code. Tag. You use whatever external tool you want to identify the caches. Then you add your tag in column 2. We update the cache with your tag. You screw it up, you fix them manually. That way it fits with the general architecture of data imports (en masse) and constrains our code base to a few functions.

I wouldn't use a "PT" tag. I would name the series. e.g. Geelong to Queenscliff Rail Trail may be G2QRT or just G2Q. Once you spot the tag, you can use the tag to find all the caches.

Identification of the caches will not be our issue. If will be up to you to identify. Of course, once identified and tagged everyone can use the tags.
Yea, that would work - maybe a way to download a list of codes from My Query would go well with this?

And yes, "powertrail" is probably not a good tag to use given how vague it is. "geoart" is one that might be useful - it's pretty well defined what is and isn't geoart. But that said, with a CSV import it would be quite easy to give each powertrail/series a different tag.

caughtatwork wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:Side issue: did we lose some existing tags during the site layout change? It seems all the "2014 sa cache awards" tagged caches have been 'untagged'. Not a big deal - just wondering what happened?
Most likely they got tidied as part of the great bullshit hashtag purging. You can use a hashtag #tagword in your logs to tag caches. With people tagging Find #1 and Find #1256 these were all rubbish and useless tags. So they got tidied. Anything that is a number is now ignored, so anything that had a number is likely gone. HTML style tags were already ignored so colours were not an issue.
So if numbers aren't meant to be used what would be a good tag for the cache awards? Would "sa cache awards 2015" be ok? Or "sa cache awards fifteen"?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 16 11:52 am

I should say that manual tagging can use numbers. Auto hashtagging will ignore tags with numbers.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 16 9:02 pm

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Imports#Public_Tags
This is the design in preparation for the code push tomorrow or on the weekend. Let me know if this is OK.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 11 March 16 1:17 pm

caughtatwork wrote:http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Imports#Public_Tags
This is the design in preparation for the code push tomorrow or on the weekend. Let me know if this is OK.
Sounds like it would work!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 March 16 6:52 pm

A My Query will now create a csv file of the waypoint codes, so if you can get your query refined, you can start the list. The import is there ready to go.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 11 March 16 8:37 pm

All seems to work well - just tagged all the equip de cinq owned powertrails with ease. I'll set about tagging the rest of the state's series/powertrails next week.

To actually remove the powertrails from the map (where we started with all this) though, the ability for "NOT=Tag" in MyQuery does need to be a thing. Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere for this but what's the thoughts on this?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 March 16 9:04 pm

NOT = in the DB world is painful. This is listed somewhere but I'm not sure whether I can implement it until we get the new machine into service.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 11 September 16 5:46 pm

So the list of all the tags (thus far) for SA powertrails is:
fishy tales series
wandering heros fishy tales
on this day series
oz mega signal series
oz mega 2014 series
tour de france series
fruit loop series
nurragi series
small world series
five oh series
forty winks series
sa premiers series
australian prime ministers series
cleve cleaver series
rattler series
bmt series
mail road trail
The Wandering Heros, Riesling Trail and Whyalla FTF powertrail aren't tagged yet since these were all placed by many people over many years (and are hard to filter out).

Is there a page in the wiki that would be suitable for recording these lists?

One problem I have noticed is that you can't enter the following into the query tags box (the end gets chopped off)
fishy tales series,wandering heros fishy tales,on this day series,oz mega signal series,oz mega 2014 series,tour de france series,fruit loop series,nurragi series,small world series,five oh series,forty winks series,sa premiers series,australian prime ministers series,cleve cleaver series,rattler series,bmt series

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 September 16 9:12 am

The tags field is only 255 characters long. I've quadrupled the site of the tag list.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 23 September 16 7:59 pm

I couple of issues I've noticed. Importing tags with a csv file causes existing tags to be removed - shouldn't it just add the new ones to the existing ones? Importing a file with more than 1 tag per cache also fails - although this may be intentional.

I've jazzed up the SA section of the wiki powertail page: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Power_trail But the pre-built query for the Wandering Heroes doesn't seem to work - I think there are more caches in the series than the query allows.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 September 16 11:40 am

Thanks for the feedback. Only one tag per line. As the tag function is a "replace" not an "add" we had been removing the old tags and replacing them with the new tags. This is now a simple addition of the tag imported so any tag you add will be added. You add the same tag 10 times it will be added 10 times. Still one tag per line, thanks.

The Wandering Heroes has a possible return of 1000 caches but is returning (currently) 186:
My Query - (Power Trail) Wandering Heroes by Geocaching Australia
Number of matching caches: 186

The tag to match is whpt for that query. If you're tagging them differently, then they will not appear in that query.

I have added:
wandering heroes power trail
to the query which will now return 347.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 25 September 16 5:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I have added:
wandering heroes power trail
to the query which will now return 347.
That's odd - when I do a query for the tag "wandering heroes power trail" I get 352 (SA only - not including the two in Vic).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 September 16 9:24 am

Stop making me try to guess what you have done. If an issue is being raised then please tell me what you are doing or have done. It's very time consuming to go around and around trying to guess an outcome to help address an issue without and background information. Are you excluding or including only active or disabled or archived?

Active = 347
Including Disabled = 354